recommend a book

How to make that sound...
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why do you opt for the books only? There are many guides and useful materials in blogs, YouTube channels and other websites. Publishing a book is expensive enough, so many professionals prefer sharing their knowledge online.

The King James Bible
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

metadul wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:13 pm Why do you opt for the books only? There are many guides and useful materials in blogs, YouTube channels and other websites. Publishing a book is expensive enough, so many professionals prefer sharing their knowledge online.
Well i spend long enough sat at a computer already, but thanks :-D

Daphne Oram: An Individual Note of Music, Sound and Electronics
Pauline Oliveros: Deep Listening – A Composer's Sound Practice
Abraham Moles: Information Theory and Esthetic Perception
Stubberud, Jorn: The Death Archives: Mayhem 1984-94

All good written, music related, broad in context and topics worth to read and a good inspiration. Okay the last one is rather entertaining and more of historical value if you are into Norwegian Black Metal :)
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:09 pm Daphne Oram: An Individual Note of Music, Sound and Electronics
Pauline Oliveros: Deep Listening – A Composer's Sound Practice
Abraham Moles: Information Theory and Esthetic Perception
Stubberud, Jorn: The Death Archives: Mayhem 1984-94

All good written, music related, broad in context and topics worth to read and a good inspiration. Okay the last one is rather entertaining and more of historical value if you are into Norwegian Black Metal :)
Thankyou Autobot!

Recently picked up Alek Palmersmith's "Shaping Sound: A Practical Guide to Audio Effects". An interesting approach that pushes active listening and practical exercises (over the more typical tips and tricks).

rj0 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:18 am Recently picked up Alek Palmersmith's "Shaping Sound: A Practical Guide to Audio Effects". An interesting approach that pushes active listening and practical exercises (over the more typical tips and tricks).
That sounds interesting.

Spring Goose wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:17 pm
rj0 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:18 am Recently picked up Alek Palmersmith's "Shaping Sound: A Practical Guide to Audio Effects". An interesting approach that pushes active listening and practical exercises (over the more typical tips and tricks).
That sounds interesting.
Oh, I found it quite interesting.

It's easy going, yet "ear opening". It's the kind of book that, because of the approachable, easy way it's written, you might breeze through, but then find yourself going back to each section thinking "I don't do anywhere near enough of that (mainly active listening, or listening to examples)", and then spend hours on each, turning technical knowledge into "what that really means to the listener". Oh, and it's compact, but ridiculous cheap.

rj0 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:46 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:17 pm
That sounds interesting.
Oh, I found it quite interesting.

It's easy going, yet "ear opening". It's the kind of book that, because of the approachable, easy way it's written, you might breeze through, but then find yourself going back to each section thinking "I don't do anywhere near enough of that (mainly active listening, or listening to examples)", and then spend hours on each, turning technical knowledge into "what that really means to the listener". Oh, and it's compact, but ridiculous cheap.
Haha I'm sold! I do particularly enjoy audio effects!
So this book wasn't what I was expecting when I started this thread but like you say it's ridiculous cheap!
No brainer. Thanks. :-)

BONES wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:09 am I was going to recommend Andy Weir's new book, Project Hail Mary, but it seems the OP is after something less interesting. I'd have thought synths were things you learned about by doing, not by reading about them.
Thanks for this recommendation. I love books and they are an integral part of my life. It also helps me develop and improve my skills. Especially written ones, because with this I am not going smoothly. Recently I had to write a nursing paper, which turned out to be not an easy task https://www.nursingpaper.com/our-servic ... one-paper/ Thanks to this source, I was able to prepare well and even got a good grade.
Last edited by RobertBrewer on Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

How to DJ Right: The Art and Science of Playing Records
*~ Trance ~*

RobertBrewer wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:33 amGreat recommendation
If you like Cyberpunk, I have a few more recommendations of things I recently discovered.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Sound Design”