Steinberg Discontinuing VST2 Support in its products

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:44 pm There's going to be a legal body that assumes governance over the standard which will be formed by members of various companies involved from either side of the aisle (host manufacturers and plug-in manufacturers).
Reminds me of when the MMA and AMEI took Smith and Wood's concept and developed the MIDI standard.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Any problems with having one standard that everyone involved works together on to improve?

Steinberg might even come to the party!?
picture it...
"Cubase gets the CLAP"

Teksonik wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:19 pm
Urs wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:44 pm There's going to be a legal body that assumes governance over the standard which will be formed by members of various companies involved from either side of the aisle (host manufacturers and plug-in manufacturers).
Reminds me of when the MMA and AMEI took Smith and Wood's concept and developed the MIDI standard.
Yeah, I suspect that's intentional.

Its kind of funny, back then Yamaha was the first who implemented Midi, even before 1.0 was fixed… As soon the bought Steini…
If CLAP is adopted for ease of use by the developers, and there is a seamless wrapper for VST/AU working like the Wave shell. The world will move to it. Then its just a matter of time… I guess also, that host developers will have their plugin implementations done like Bitwig does, and move it into a separate process, that allows easily to keep support for different plugin formats… And crashing plugins don’t kill the host…

felis wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:58 am Any problems with having one standard that everyone involved works together on to improve?
  • differing ideas, old plugins lost, lack of customizability, etc.
Just look at when a certain OS forced all apps to x64 or be destroyed.

And no matter who is on the “governing body” it will be made up of insiders. Insiders with their own stakes and agendas. And everyone else will be on the outside. And the outsiders will feel like their needs and concerns are ignored, dismissed, and not taken seriously by the insiders. And eventually, some of the outsiders will create their own standard to fix all the flaws of the last one, and finally have the control they wanted and needed. And this time they will be wise and just and reasonable and understanding and they won’t make the same mistakes or be so conceited or foolish or callous and indifferent as the old regime.

That’s pretty much how every chapter of human history goes.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 am And no matter who is on the “governing body” it will be made up of insiders. Insiders with their own stakes and agendas. And everyone else will be on the outside. And the outsiders will feel like their needs and concerns are ignored, dismissed, and not taken seriously by the insiders. And eventually, some of the outsiders will create their own standard to fix all the flaws of the last one, and finally have the control they wanted and needed. And this time they will be wise and just and reasonable and understanding and they won’t make the same mistakes or be so conceited or foolish or callous and indifferent as the old regime.

Again, I'm happy to discuss this in the appropriate place. It's utterly annoying how you try to keep your issues with CLAP somehow linked to Steinberg by posting in this thread. As if trying to provoke people to play the concepts against each other when none of the people involved have any intention to do so, other than you, obviously.

jamcat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 am And eventually, some of the outsiders will create their own standard to fix all the flaws of the last one, and finally have the control they wanted and needed. And this time they will be wise and just and reasonable and understanding and they won’t make the same mistakes or be so conceited or foolish or callous and indifferent as the old regime.
Thats exactly whats happening here with CLAP after all these years of VST. ;)
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

jamcat wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:45 am And no matter who is on the “governing body” it will be made up of insiders. Insiders with their own stakes and agendas. And everyone else will be on the outside. And the outsiders will feel like their needs and concerns are ignored, dismissed, and not taken seriously by the insiders. And eventually, some of the outsiders will create their own standard to fix all the flaws of the last one, and finally have the control they wanted and needed. And this time they will be wise and just and reasonable and understanding and they won’t make the same mistakes or be so conceited or foolish or callous and indifferent as the old regime.

I think some of the points you make are valid concerns, but its difficult to grasp why you feel so strongly against this?

I have Cubase 11.5 (soon to be 12), and I am quite sure that Steinberg will continue to develop VST3 into the distant future. The big difference is that they now will have a competing standard, and competition is generally a useful thing. VST3 will have to up its game and get better. Seems to be a win-win situation.

I'm not going to name names, but someone in this thread is craving attention. :lol:

As a small developer myself, I'll offer VST3 very soon. As for CLAP, I love the concept and I really hope it will get adopted by DAW companies.

SampleScience wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm I'm not going to name names, but someone in this thread is craving attention. :lol:

As a small developer myself, I'll offer VST3 very soon. As for CLAP, I love the concept and I really hope it will get adopted by DAW companies.
Hijacking the thread just to say that you really make awesome stuff! The free plugs you offer = real gems :tu: u-he also has some great free stuff (Triple Cheese being my favorite). Many thanks to both developers! :party:
With all the fx, amp and synth emulations out there, not to mention AI, you can finally sound like…? Someone else and something that has already been done! :clap: :tu: :party: ------- :scared:

Urs wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 am Again, I'm happy to discuss this in the appropriate place. It's utterly annoying how you try to keep your issues with CLAP somehow linked to Steinberg by posting in this thread. As if trying to provoke people to play the concepts against each other when none of the people involved have any intention to do so, other than you, obviously.
He is just a troll. Put him on ignore and don't waste your precious time responding.

Yadrichik_Chaya wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:49 pm
SampleScience wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:27 pm I'm not going to name names, but someone in this thread is craving attention. :lol:

Hijacking the thread just to say that you really make awesome stuff! The free plugs you offer = real gems :tu: u-he also has some great free stuff (Triple Cheese being my favorite). Many thanks to both developers! :party:
Thank you! :tu: The free stuff is going to be improved this year with round-robin and support for other formats (VST3, Decent Sampler, Kontakt, Reason 12 Combinators). I learned a lot of new techniques that I want to apply.

pdxindy wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:49 pm
Urs wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:02 am Again, I'm happy to discuss this in the appropriate place. It's utterly annoying how you try to keep your issues with CLAP somehow linked to Steinberg by posting in this thread. As if trying to provoke people to play the concepts against each other when none of the people involved have any intention to do so, other than you, obviously.
He is just a troll. Put him on ignore and don't waste your precious time responding.
Exactly!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”