One Synth Challenge #155: Any One Synth (Photonic Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:04 pm [*]More EDM like and more 'compatible' with normal general
aesthetics: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/i-m-nomd
I do not think this statement is correct. It is always a matter of taste. I think you should decide yourself which one YOU prefer and which of those represent you better.

I for example like your first track IT'S MORE - IT HURTS more because it is (if I take your statement above) it is less 'compatible' with normal general aesthetics. But does it matter? No, because we have all different taste for music (style) and you should not decide on other people opinion.

Depends on what your intent is for entering the challenges. If your intent is to win, then trying to make something the the highest number of people voting will like, if you can make the correct assumptions about the average voters taste, is important.

Or you can just make a cool song that you personally like. But IF you make multiple songs during the time period, why not choose whichever one you think will fare better?

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:04 pm [*]More EDM like and more 'compatible' with normal general aesthetics
“Normal general aesthetics” is an interesting expression. But after 4-5 years, I'm not certain that such a thing even exists in the OSC community.

One thing I've noticed is that it's hard to crack the top five with minimalism and/or repetitiveness, however accomplished. And the same seems to go for ambient music and advanced programming without a strong melodic or structural anchor point – even a guy like @jasinski has submitted superb ambient pieces that I think somehow ended up in the bottom half.

So – even though you always have to nail the sound and the production for a decent position – could melody and musical form perhaps be the “normal general aesthetics” (and thus, the key to success) in OSC??
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Just do something which doesn't sound like any of mine! They usually end up about halfway.

dB

doctorbob wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:00 pm Just do something which doesn't sound like any of mine! They usually end up about halfway.

dB
or be like me, blast a random firehose of confused weirdness and live fat and happy in the lower third! :-)

3lu5iv3 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:28 am here's my submission.

https://soundcloud.com/3lu5iv3/trayfield

DAW = Reaper 6.45

Synth = 14 X Serum

Effects = 4U+ ProjectTime, SPAN, RC-20, 5 X ReaLimit,
4 X Ozone 9 Equalizer, SuperMassive, 2 X Volume/Pan Smoother v5,
2 X MJUC, Ozone 9 Dynamics, 2 X ShaperBox 2, Ozone 9 Imager,
Lofi Space Stereo

BPM = 76
Is the record crackling in the intro of this piece coming from Serum, or some other effect? I'm thinking if its not coming from Serum than it's probably technically a sample, and thus not allowed... Thoughts?

Hey Z, Schiing, briefcasemanx, doctorbob, gorgorgathgorgorgor,...Thanks for your replies
Talking about music and which fits better ... there's really a broad spectrum. With "compatible with normal general aesthetics" I was thinking about the contraast of mainstream pop charts tracks and tracks like Haus Arfana "Kreisen um das Nichts" https://youtu.be/1vNN3wUsYvI I love this kind of monotone, noise, industrial ... "meditation", yes meditation I would call it. Same day I can switch on main stream radio and bounce around to The Weeknd ...
But actually you are all right. Give a sh*t about what people want to listen too. As long as the track is you ... whatever you means in that moment in time.

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 pm
3lu5iv3 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:28 am here's my submission.

https://soundcloud.com/3lu5iv3/trayfield

DAW = Reaper 6.45

Synth = 14 X Serum

Effects = 4U+ ProjectTime, SPAN, RC-20, 5 X ReaLimit,
4 X Ozone 9 Equalizer, SuperMassive, 2 X Volume/Pan Smoother v5,
2 X MJUC, Ozone 9 Dynamics, 2 X ShaperBox 2, Ozone 9 Imager,
Lofi Space Stereo

BPM = 76
Is the record crackling in the intro of this piece coming from Serum, or some other effect? I'm thinking if its not coming from Serum than it's probably technically a sample, and thus not allowed... Thoughts?
Serum has some noises. AFAIK it is the same like the sample engines in ANA or Pigments and thus i suppose against the rules.

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:57 pm Is the record crackling in the intro of this piece coming from Serum, or some other effect? I'm thinking if its not coming from Serum than it's probably technically a sample, and thus not allowed... Thoughts?
I haven't listened yet, and I'm not familiar with Serum, but record crackling is pretty straightforward for most synths, even without noise, with something like a sustained non-sine C-4 and some S&H, LFO and a highpass filter – so I suspect it's fine.
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Nvm
Last edited by Eauson on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

nvm
Last edited by L-EctroBit on Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/bblunt-music/bbl ... trologue-2

KVR OSC Any One Synth

Title: Come In
Synth: Steinberg Retrologue 2(x21)

DAW: Cakewalk by Bandlab

Stock Plugins:
Sonitus Comp
Retrologue 2 Built-in Effects

THIRD-PARTY Plugins:
Plug & Mix Clarisonix
ReaXcomp
CS12-M
TesslaSE
MBandPass
MEqualizer
MWaveShaper
MSaturator
MConvolutionEZ
Xpander
SPAN
Twin Delay

Thank You!
Last edited by BBLUNT Music on Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

https://soundcloud.com/marcezmonticus/h ... al_sharing

Hello Everybody.
This is my submission, an experiment (for me) with synthesis.
KVR OSC Any One Synth

Title: Human Engine
Synth: Synth 1 64bit version

DAW: Cubase Pro 10

Plugins:
Waves TG12345 Stereo (Strip Channel)
CLA Drums & CLA Bass
Native Instruments Replika
Slate Digital Virtual Tape Machines
Cymatics Origin
Steinberg Stereo Enhancer
Steinberg Tube Amp
TC Electronic DVR250 (reverbs and delays)
T-Racks Classic EQ _ Classic Comp _ Classic Mband Limiter _ Classic Clipper

Hope you Enjoy.
Thank you.

I think the record crackling sound is from RC-20.
Some people say it's ok and others are saying it's not so who is right? 🤔
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

3lu5iv3 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:26 am I think the record crackling sound is from RC-20.
Some people say it's ok and others are saying it's not so who is right? 🤔
All sounds should definitely originate from the synth, so an effect generating a sound would not be allowed.

Return to “Instruments”