Wotja 22 - Generative Music App & Plug-in Host (Free, Pro; AUv3 / VST3)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Wotja 22 Pro Wotja: Generative Music System

impete wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:43 pm
ValliSoftware wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:04 pm
ZincT wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:44 am @ValliSoftware
I don't have the Mac version and I'm not at my PC right now, but have you tried Help Menu - - Show Wotja Data Folder? I think flows are stored as randomisation presets so .wotjarp files.

UPDATE: I'm at my PC now and I cannot find the flow files either (I know you are on Mac). So maybe wait for Pete to answer.
Thanks for the reply, see my post to Pete regarding why I wanted to know this.
Yes, absolutely. With the old copy of Wotja (say, Wotja 20, or Wotja 21)

For any old "built-in" Flows you want to export from Wotja (say) 20, that aren't in Wotja 22. do the following from your old Wotja (say) 20:
- Settings - select Randomization segment control item
- Press the "open" icon on the left of the toolbar immediately below the segment control
- scroll down to the item you want, and select it - this is now what is used for all random mixes and albums until you next change it
- Press the "down arrow" icon on the right of the toolbar immediately below the segment control
- Select Save As from the pop-up menu - it will now appear in the file system, in your Wotja Data folder

You can then access these from your (new) Wotja 22.

Hoping that helps!

Pete
Thanks Pete.
I followed your instructions and got them into my Wotja 22 Pro. :D
Wotja Flow Updated.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ValliSoftware wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:10 pm Thanks Pete.
I followed your instructions and got them into my Wotja 22 Pro. :D
Wotja Flow Updated.png
Great work :)

Pete

Hello Pete,

I have bought the Pro version for my main computer, a windows machine. I would like to install Wotja 22 on my Mac laptop as well, which is my mobile working solution. How can I use the license for Wotja on a second machine? Do I have to buy it again from the Apple store?

JamminFool wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:03 am There are many problems with hosted plug-ins being drawn incorrectly:

Of my VST3 collection, the problems fall into 3 main categories:

1) window frame is slightly too large along the bottom edge (there is extra blank space under the main GUI). If the plugin has the ability to be resized, then the window frame is not properly adjusted to account for the resize and GUI elements are lost.
@JamminFool @impete

I have mainly been using the Wotja plugin so far, but decided to take a look at the plugin instrument hosting in the standalone.

I can confirm that case #1 where the host (Wotja) plugin window size is not following the plugin's scale. This applies to every resizable plugin that I have tried here, such as (but most likely not limited to): AAS Chromaphone 3, NI Kontakt 6, Plugin Boutique Scaler 2, PluginGuru Unify, Spitfire Audio LABS, U-he Repro, etc.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Wotja being able to host plugins and being a plugin itself has the real potential of being a crazy powerful generative instrument. However in it current condition, it is somewhat frustrating. One of the things I would really like to do is have a mix of internal and plugin instruments but right now it looks like it is an either or situation. Pete, is there a reason why you didn't impliment the ability to replace an internal synth like poly4 with an external plugin? That would make Wotja super flexible and a killer app.

Using Wotja as a plugin also has real potential and I can hardly wait for it to be working in Studio One and Unify. When that day arrives, I will give Wotja a glowing review.
Last edited by courtjestr on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dup post.
Last edited by courtjestr on Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

courtjestr wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:10 pm Wotja being able to host plugins and being a plugin itself has the real potential of being a crazy powerful generative instrument. However in it current condition, it is somewhat frustrating. One of the things I would really like to do is have a mix of internal and plugin instruments but right now it looks like it is an either or situation. Pete,iIs there a reason why you didn't impliment the ability to replace an internal synth like poly4 with an external plugin? That would make Wotja super flexible and a killer app.
This is not clear to me in regard to what you are asking Pete for. Do you want plugins inside the Wotja plugin? In that case you can already just route the Wotja plugin MIDI to another plugin on a different track in your host to get any sound you desire.

If you want plugins in the standalone app, you already have the ability to load virtually any plugin you wish. Quite powerful and flexible already in either use case!

zzz00m wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:37 pm
courtjestr wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:10 pm Wotja being able to host plugins and being a plugin itself has the real potential of being a crazy powerful generative instrument. However in it current condition, it is somewhat frustrating. One of the things I would really like to do is have a mix of internal and plugin instruments but right now it looks like it is an either or situation. Pete,iIs there a reason why you didn't impliment the ability to replace an internal synth like poly4 with an external plugin? That would make Wotja super flexible and a killer app.
This is not clear to me in regard to what you are asking Pete for. Do you want plugins inside the Wotja plugin? In that case you can already just route the Wotja plugin MIDI to another plugin on a different track in your host to get any sound you desire.

If you want plugins in the standalone app, you already have the ability to load virtually any plugin you wish. Quite powerful and flexible already in either use case!
I do not want plugins inside the plugin. I know how to route the Wotja plugin midi. I am talking about the standalone here. It seems like when I load an external plugin, audio is not longer generated by the internal synths. But lets say I am working with a mix. I am happy with all the sounds, except that I want to replace an internal synth with Pigments. How would I do that?

courtjestr wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm It seems like when I load an external plugin, audio is not longer generated by the internal synths. But lets say I am working with a mix. I am happy with all the sounds, except that I want to replace an internal synth with Pigments. How would I do that?
I think Peter explained the reasoning for that earlier in this thread. I cannot recall which page it was on.

Wotja 22.0.11 available in the Windows Store.

hi pete,

i also noticed the early-bird special pricing is gone. i thought you would announce the end of the special pricing once the early issues were worked out. did i miss it?

zzz00m wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:20 am
courtjestr wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:53 pm It seems like when I load an external plugin, audio is not longer generated by the internal synths. But lets say I am working with a mix. I am happy with all the sounds, except that I want to replace an internal synth with Pigments. How would I do that?
I think Peter explained the reasoning for that earlier in this thread. I cannot recall which page it was on.
I think you are referring to the explanation on the bottom of page 16. But I think it is a wrong assumption. Why would people only want to use either external or internal sound sources? It would seem more natural to me to allow for both. Currently it is like every DAW saying, well if you want to use external plugins, then you must not want to use our internal plugins. I agree with JamminFool. The current way is counter intuitive.

Let's take the V22 Play Me! as an example. I like the sound of it but maybe I want to replace some of the percussion instruments, for example the Conga. To me, the most logical way would be to replace the Poly 4 Synth with an external plugin. The external plugin provides the sound source for the Conga, but the rest of the mix stays exactly the same. Does that make sense?

Pete's solution of adding the Wotja Output as an instrument chain to bring back the internal Wotja sounds does not really help because, in the above example, the internal Congas get added back in, not replaced. Now I guess I can change the output of the Conga wavetable to 0 but that seems like a work around to me, not a good design choice. Plus adding the Wotja output to a plugin chain slot takes away a slot and I am now limited to 5 external plugins.

JamminFool wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:32 am hi pete,

i also noticed the early-bird special pricing is gone. i thought you would announce the end of the special pricing once the early issues were worked out. did i miss it?
I got the impression it would be extended also.

courtjestr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:17 am
zzz00m wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:20 am
I think you are referring to the explanation on the bottom of page 16. But I think it is a wrong assumption. Why would people only want to use either external or internal sound sources? It would seem more natural to me to allow for both. Currently it is like every DAW saying, well if you want to use external plugins, then you must not want to use our internal plugins. I agree with JamminFool. The current way is counter intuitive.

Let's take the V22 Play Me! as an example. I like the sound of it but maybe I want to replace some of the percussion instruments, for example the Conga. To me, the most logical way would be to replace the Poly 4 Synth with an external plugin. The external plugin provides the sound source for the Conga, but the rest of the mix stays exactly the same. Does that make sense?

Pete's solution of adding the Wotja Output as an instrument chain to bring back the internal Wotja sounds does not really help because, in the above example, the internal Congas get added back in, not replaced. Now I guess I can change the output of the Conga wavetable to 0 but that seems like a work around to me, not a good design choice. Plus adding the Wotja output to a plugin chain slot takes away a slot and I am now limited to 5 external plugins.
it makes perfect sense and i agree 100%.

i want to treat the VSTs just like another sound source within Wotja, so that i can deal with routing and using other internal sounds and FX in the exact same way, rather than having all that existing routing stuff still in place but no longer used. It's like it operates in an entirely new mode as soon as you add a VST, causing the user to have to almost start over.

the VSTs should just be another instrument or FX to use in the existing paradigm. my 2 cents.

hi pete,
i have run some tests on wotja 22.0.11 and there are still problems with the MIDI output:

please study the two pictures carefully to understand the problem.

1) the first picture below shows the output from Reason Rack sending MIDI output to two different VSTs.

Note that MIDI Monitor shows MIDI on both channels 1 and 2 is arriving from Reason Rack. It is then sent to two instances of MIDI Patch, one isolating MIDI channel 1 and sending it to one VST and the other isolating MIDI channel 2 and sending it to a different VST. The first VST is panned left and the other is panned right, in order to both see and easily hear the result. You can see that everything is functioning correctly, since the audio meters on both tracks 1 and track 2 in the DAW are dancing and reflect the panned signals.
Reason Rack feeding two MIDI channels.jpg
2) in the next picture, MIDI Monitor shows that only MIDI from channel 1 is arriving from Wotja 22.0.11. please note that two generators are shown to be used in Wotja, one sending MIDI to channel 1 and the other sending MIDI to channel 2. The audio meters confirm that audio is arriving only on track 1 in the DAW.
Wotja 22.0.11 feeding two MIDI channels.jpg
these results show that there is a general MIDI output problem in Wotja regardless of DAW, since the MIDI Monitor output is directly from Wotja and/or Reason Rack.

as a final note, i want to point out that the scenario shown in the first picture (using Reason Rack) functions correctly whether the Experimental Engine in Waveform is on or off, while the scenario shown in the second picture (using Wotja 22.0.11) only works when the Experimental Engine is off. this should be fixed in Wotja.

i hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by JamminFool on Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”