VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Comparison would be Soundmorph Dust for another very powerful granular. Check that out as well. Both Dust and Crusher-x are a significant step up from something like UA SILO, with crusher-x a step up again from Dust. But Dust might be all you need, it is a great sound generator and fx processor
I have not noticed any problems with the sound quality of either
But if you want to really dedicate significant time to granular then crusher-x as your primary tool will not disappoint. Otherwise Dust for powerful granular at a lower price. Or if you just want some whooshy drone granular get SILO or similar on sale, not worth the bullshit PA "full" price, more worth $30 or less

+1 that ^^^ ... it should be noted that the steep price is easily matched by the steep learning curve.

there is a lengthy discussion, and innumerable options provided here:

viewtopic.php?t=518590
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

.... ...

They do not. In fact, they basically have a "no sales" policy:

https://accsone.com/about/pricing-guarantee

.... ...

It's cool, but you kind of have to be really into it I think. I bought it a few versions ago, but never paid for an upgrade as it was too frequent/costly (imo). I still use it, but have no real interest in the newer versions. :shrug:

*I have version 6 or something, pretty sure it was only $180 ish, $327 is a new thing. IIRC there
was some negative discussion about the cost and frequency of upgrades. I believe the author
pretty much decided that it was a professional level tool and should be priced accordingly as
we all know, only professionals don't complain about exorbitant cost. :lol:

pekbro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 am It's cool, but you kind of have to be really into it I think. I bought it a few versions ago, but never paid for an upgrade as it was too frequent/costly (imo). I still use it, but have no real interest in the newer versions. :shrug:

*I have version 6 or something, pretty sure it was only $180 ish, $327 is a new thing. IIRC there
was some negative discussion about the cost and frequency of upgrades. I believe the author
pretty much decided that it was a professional level tool and should be priced accordingly as
v8 > v9 upgrade was about 80Euro I think and came after 15 months

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

fairlyclose wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:12 am
pekbro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 am It's cool, but you kind of have to be really into it I think. I bought it a few versions ago, but never paid for an upgrade as it was too frequent/costly (imo). I still use it, but have no real interest in the newer versions. :shrug:

v8 > v9 upgrade was about 80Euro I think and came after 15 months
That may be, but there was some frequent upgrading going on there for a time believe me, tbh I haven't paid attention since then. Nor do I care to. :shrug:

Synthack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:16 am

I suppose for those who use it for making professional sound design libraries they can get their money back. Would be nice if they had a hobbyist price for those of us who just like to make weird noises. :lol:
Well yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one though...

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Synthack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:26 am
pekbro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:22 am
Synthack wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:16 am

I suppose for those who use it for making professional sound design libraries they can get their money back. Would be nice if they had a hobbyist price for those of us who just like to make weird noises. :lol:
Well yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath on that one though...
Yah no I won't bother.

I am going to buy it when I get the funds, I've no problem spending the money on it now that I'm starting to read the manual more and more. It appears like a very in depth tool and probably the better featured granular effect I've seen so far.

I remember demoing it a while back and the performance was pretty glitchy but it appears they have done some big improvements.
Definitely it's super cool, don't get me wrong. Mostly my outlook on software has shifted to HW
since then. There's no way I would pay $327 for crusher-X, but I've no problem spending twice that
on a granular HW unit. Honestly though, I'm over granular pretty much. I have a few HW units
that can do granular and am not really in the market for anymore.

Crusher-X is worth the initial price (when on sale!).. but not the costly upgrades.

panspOrmia wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:22 am Crusher-X is worth the initial price (when on sale!).. but not the costly upgrades.
it is already mentioned Crusher-X doesn't do sales, it had one time a sale?? perhaps..

https://www.accsone.com/about/pricing-guarantee

i agree it is expensive. i bought Crusher-X 8, and updated to 9.

does one 'need' Crusher-X? always of course personal.

is it worth the price? compared to, for example the new 1010music nanobox lemondrop, which is about €449 (EU), hardware, small, touchscreen. not a bad thing, on the contrary.

but the possibilities of Crusher-X, well, it can touch the possibilities. but perhaps you don't need them, again, personal.

there are more threads about granular synths/effects, here on KVR.

of course i felt that it was worth the price, and the price of the update.

i also use other granulars (effects/synths), but what i achieved with Crusher-X they can't do that.
but other granulars also give me a lot, like Silo, i didn't expect it, is quite a beast.

especiallt with MPE, or in my case, i still must discover the real bandwidth of Crusher-X, but my last experiments (not recorded), with a new setup (controllers), gave me quite new approaches.

so, the price, yes, that will always be a discussion, well the the GForce Mtron MKii (is that how it called), is also expensive, but GForce does sales..

there are more expensive plugins out there, that people buy.

it comes all down to; gives it results? the results you like, a new approach, a new 'sound'. well, it does, for me.. but still discovering to get more.. more!

Return to “Effects”