VCV Rack 2

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Host is great to change the caractere of some vsti plugins, i bought it to overcome some limitations of some vsti but also to change their caractere, lot of the craractere of a synth come from the filter , just using serum for example with a different filter can make it sound like it s a analog synth , specially if you emulate some amp stage as well, vult stuff have a sound caractere that i like for that .
with this i can make serum or any weak digital synth sound like it has some balls, dirt and depth and sound more like what i have been used too hear with some hardware.

so it s unbealivable powerfull tool , you want a synth wih a zero delay filter? easy .. or filter fm is not avaible on the synth.. no problem.. ect it can make any synths a chamelon but it seems it might use a good amount of cpu

kobal wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:20 pmjust using serum for example with a different filter can make it sound like it s a analog synth
presumably, a paraphonic one, in that you're applying a single (mono) filter to the output of a polysynth.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:39 pm
kobal wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:20 pmjust using serum for example with a different filter can make it sound like it s a analog synth
presumably, a paraphonic one, in that you're applying a single (mono) filter to the output of a polysynth.
thanks had no idea what paraphonic is , if a polyphonic cable is patched to the the freq input of the filter it can be polyhponic as well ? each filter engine will adjust its frequency cutoff based on the associated channel in polyphonic cable making it like a analog poly ?
i m not sure i didn t try yet

the vcv octal router, probably one of the best module for me..i m thinking to buy it.. for now i use the dbiz 4ms vca matrix clone and the bog matrix but the octal router is so much more powerfull and seems to be better in term of workflow i guess i won t regret it

kobal wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:27 pm thanks had no idea what paraphonic is , if a polyphonic cable is patched to the the freq input of the filter it can be polyhponic as well ? each filter engine will adjust its frequency cutoff based on the associated channel in polyphonic cable making it like a analog poly ?
In VCV, there are indeed polyphonic modules, where there are up to 16(?) individual audio channels being carried. But that's not the issue; the issue is that the output from your VST plugin, eg Serum, is almost certainly not outputting its voices as multiple separate channels of audio, one per voice, which is what you'd need to filter each voice separately.

Instead, VST synth plugins (except maybe for drum machines where each voice is a completely different instrument) output mixes of voice channels, usually to 2 output channels (stereo), sometimes to more when there are layer/split facilities, but not to individual voice channels that could be accessed polyphonically within VCV.

whyterabbyt wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:12 pm
kobal wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:27 pm thanks had no idea what paraphonic is , if a polyphonic cable is patched to the the freq input of the filter it can be polyhponic as well ? each filter engine will adjust its frequency cutoff based on the associated channel in polyphonic cable making it like a analog poly ?
In VCV, there are indeed polyphonic modules, where there are up to 16(?) individual audio channels being carried. But that's not the issue; the issue is that the output from your VST plugin, eg Serum, is almost certainly not outputting its voices as multiple separate channels of audio, one per voice, which is what you'd need to filter each voice separately.

Instead, VST synth plugins (except maybe for drum machines where each voice is a completely different instrument) output mixes of voice channels, usually to 2 output channels (stereo), sometimes to more when there are layer/split facilities, but not to individual voice channels that could be accessed polyphonically within VCV.
yes i see , this is not possible technically, if i m right what is possible is to recreate different "voices " from a monophonic signal that could probably lead to intresting sounds (maybe the same? ) , and by using the same polyphonic gate that goes into serum it might be more coherent. what do you think about that?

absolutely; for example, guitar pedals are always processing a mono mix of separate strings, and the use of similar effects on things like electric pianos was commonplace.

shapemaster pro is such a monster.. i didn t even test it yet as osc and waveshaper , i m almost speechless to see such deep modules , there is really some really creative mind, it s the sort of module that could make even someone owning a big eurorack system intrested into vcv.

edit: just tested as osc and sort of wavefolder it s sick ! it s really good to dial the perfect sounding waveform and then routed to a other mseg that work as waveshaper / wavefolder.. holy shit i made a lead sounding like it was coming from fm synthesis but it give a lot more control than fm on the timbre and lot of things can be modulated :o

i tought it would alias or have some artifacts but it sounded very clean on that sound it s surprising

Do you guys have favourite VCAs in VCV Rack?

Maybe some good sounding, analogue-like?

I'm not happy with my current choice....

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:59 pm Do you guys have favourite VCAs in VCV Rack?

Maybe some good sounding, analogue-like?

I'm not happy with my current choice....
Vult (Slap, Spank, Punch etc) for percussive sounds. Hora Amplitude and both basic VCV ones for me, I don't really use VCA s that much as I tend to use combo filters and the like that have some built in drive like the Entferner ones.
Oh one thing you may want to try to get a warmer and more analog like flavour, pass the audio through Vacuumba. I know its more a saturator/distortion than anything else, but maybe it'll help.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Saturation and warmth are not the main problem, I was looking for a VCA with a more analogue behaviour. Analog soft clipping, instead of hard digital clipping. Some VCAs in VCV Rack tend to sound pretty fast, really harsh and ugly.

Hora Amplitude is good, but it's unfortunately not possible to choose between EXP/LIN function.

Rastkovic wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:04 pm
Hora Amplitude is good, but it's unfortunately not possible to choose between EXP/LIN function.
is that not something that you can get around w/an envelope that has a EXP/LIN function for it's shapes?

in eurorack i only ever put a VCA in exp mode if i was hitting w/gates for percussive sounds. usually the envelope like a makenoise math/function was doing exp curves applied to the vca which was in linear mode.

but i get that there's issues w/achieving certain sounds etc in software when it comes to VCAs and envelopes etc. just curious what envelopes you're using in VCV. I've only dabbled with it so far so my criticisms/praises aren't set in stone yet.

dayjob wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:09 pmis that not something that you can get around w/an envelope that has a EXP/LIN function for it's shapes?
For sure, you can use modulation signals with exponential shape.

But, it's so simple and useful, I wouldn't want to live without this option....

exp-lin.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Can someone confirm, that the VCV envelopes in V2 sound different compared to V1?

When loading V1 patches into Rack V2, I cannot reproduce the original sound. Is it possible, that the envelopes in V2 sound more snappier/percussive?

Visually the envelopes are looking very similar....

envelope-v1-v2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”