do we have frippertronix tape emulations ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

As far as i can see, among the flow of many (and mostly excellent !) delay/echo/tape echo/etc.. emulations on the current market i haven't seen an emulation of this typical dual tape delay that Robert Fripp used on it's musical experimentations with Brian Eno ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unwh5L_IQZg

AnX wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:44 am This really old one

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/elottr ... by_elogoxa
yes, indeed, i remember this one, windows only, ...now discontinued AFAIK

Haha, I was listening to Fripp & Eno Live in Paris '75 today... :party:
Could maybe put something together with a couple instances of Expert Sleepers Augustus Loop?

Winstontaneous wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 am Haha, I was listening to Fripp & Eno Live in Paris '75 today... :party:
Could maybe put something together with a couple instances of Expert Sleepers Augustus Loop?
Oooh yes ...true !!! ...i totally forgot this one ?

... and still being developped,...what a great info !!!!

Augustus Loop still has the most hideous UI of all times. :lol:

There's also Enso by Audio Damage that allows for loop decay (or not):

https://www.audiodamage.com/products/ad049-enso

Didn't check Enso yet,

...but would you think it can make sense to create a specific emulation of the peculiar trick ?

Melda Looper?

Krakatau wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:10 am Didn't check Enso yet,

...but would you think it can make sense to create a specific emulation of the peculiar trick ?
It's been a while and I'm trying to wrap my head around the specifics of Fripp's setup again... He wired the output of one tape to the input of the other and back again, right? So effectively fed back the delayed signal into the intput?

I think that's the 'dub in place' button in Enso, but you might want to try it out if it does what you really want. I seem to remember Frippertronics specifically were on their mind though, here's what the manual says about 'dub in place':
The DUB IN PLACE button affects how new audio is added to the audio already present in the loop when overdubbing. If DUB IN PLACE is turned on, the new audio is added directly to the old audio already in place in the loop buffer, after the old audio's loudness is reduced by the amount set with the FEEDBACK control. For instance, if feedback is set to 50%, overdubbing reduces the old signal by half, adds the new signal, and stores the result back into the loop. This is the way that most contemporary looper pedals and programs work.

If DUB IN PLACE is turned off, Enso behaves more like a long delay constructed with a tape recorder. The new audio is added to the output of the loop player as it is played, and the mixed signal is recorded into the buffer. Again, before the two signals are added together, the FEEDBACK control determines how much of the old signal is added to the new signal.

Yes on Enso, you control filters, drive and even tape noise.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:42 pm Yes on Enso, you control filters, drive and even tape noise.
interesting...

the point is, comparing of many accurate emulation of different types of delay units, either analogic or digital on the current market, would it make sense to emulate these configurations with the tape models of this area (Revox A77 and B77 for instance ?)

i get decent sounding frippery from the ehx canyon.

i get better using a combination of morphagene and mimeophone from make noise.

channel 1 morph, to l mimeo in.
l mimeo to channel 2 morph in.
channel 2 morph out to mimeo r in.

r to output.

Krakatau wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:19 am
Winstontaneous wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:12 am Haha, I was listening to Fripp & Eno Live in Paris '75 today... :party:
Oooh yes ...true !!! ...i totally forgot this one ?

... and still being developped,...what a great info !!!!
i like and use 'augustus loop'...
it can have an insanely long delay buffer , and can be set to x-bars/repeat ,
which i quite like ... great saturation in the feedack loop as well ...

the UI can be skinned ...

Plenty of emulations of tape machines, so sure apply that to your path.

Return to “Effects”