Zodiac (Deep/Prog House)

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cyclop

Hello!

It's my track Zodiac.
I'm not sure which sub-genre to label it, as I haven't heard house like this :oops:
Probably it's something in direction of deep or prog house, but they themselves sound totally different, than this track :ud:

I wrote this track 2 years ago, it's my 1st "normal" track after a serie of noobish experiments )
(somehow I'm not posting my tracks in chronological order)

One day I want to continue development of my melodic EDM direction like this

So I have a todo-list for updating it, and I want to know your opinion - what (good and bad) catches your ear the most )

https://soundcloud.com/mixail-medved-53 ... al_sharing

In general the writing is okay for the genera.

You're getting some distortion that isn't doing you any favors in the low end. I think the kick could be cleaned up->it has strong slap echo that I think could be lessened, and has a little too much tone for my taste. Also, you're missing a good amount of level at around 1800k.
eassae.com
“I do nothing professionally, I do everything for fun.”—Prince, Under the Cherry Moon

eassae wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:51 pm In general the writing is okay for the genera.

You're getting some distortion that isn't doing you any favors in the low end. I think the kick could be cleaned up->it has strong slap echo that I think could be lessened, and has a little too much tone for my taste. Also, you're missing a good amount of level at around 1800k.
Thanks for the comment! I'll take in account your tips )
Probably the snare (I think it's what you've meant) is really too beefy, such a 1980-ies snare on steroids )
When I was making it, I added to a standard synth-wave snare an additional sine-pitch-sweep layer (kick-ish / snare-ish) to make it central part of the groove, but it seems like this experiment sounded good only in my head )

It was enjoyable and engaging. I do agree about the low end distortion.

Good listen.

Some very interesting melodic ideas in there that definitely 'grab the ear' very effectively.

Having said that, when the bass drops to G, I think the melodic pattern could be possibly tweaked just a touch? For me it doesn't hit as hard as the one above the A bass note as the note choices don't quite flow as smoothly to my ear?

Production has some really nice touches, but...

That KICK is seriously dominant across the mix and tends to make some synths sound thin in comparison at times...personally I'd tame it with a few EQ tweaks and probably pull back the compression settings on it as well?

There's a lot of good stuff going on in the bass / low-mids, but at the moment it's quite muddy down there and possibly needs a bit more clarity and separation between the various layers via 3D positioning and EQ etc.
Mark Taylor, Chameleon Music - Professional composition and sound design for all media since 1994.

https://www.chameleonmusic.co.uk/

margaret0547 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:10 pm It was enjoyable and engaging. I do agree about the low end distortion.
Thank you Margaret!
I think finally I understand the issue - yeah, that distortion in the lows is caused by my poor mastering skills and misuse of clipper and maximizer :oops:

ChameleonMusic wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:05 pm Good listen.
Thank you Mark!

Finally I've heard that kick issue :oops:

Also it's good that you've pointed at the problem in the bass notes - probably it's because the pretty tight EQ doesn’t follow the notes' changes, that’s why a note energy is eaten by the EQ

And thank you for the kind words ))

Last edited by Synthack on Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.... ...

Synthack wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:30 pm Interesting track, it's quite noisy though and distorting quite a bit (Which i don't think you want)

I like the changes in the synthesizers which keep it interesting. I'm not very familiar with this genre though so I can't really say if it's "wrong" or "right".

Anyhow keep up the work :tu:
Thanks for listening and commenting! Yes, that distortion came out of my poor mastering/maximizing skills at that time :oops: Thanks for pointing at it :!:

Return to “Music Cafe”