Presonus Studio One 5.5 on Jan 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:24 am
Trensharo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 am
chk071 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:23 pm
Trensharo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:12 pm Who says this isn't the case? No one ever complains about a free thing...
ORLY?
RLY.
Were't you the first one who said that he will uninstall Studio One after they revealed what's in the update? Lol.

Anyway, of course people complain about free stuff. Although it's arguable that this qualifies as a free update. In my eyes, also considering the high upgrade price for Studio One, I think it's just what you paid for.
I said I did uninstalled it. And I did.

Read the thread to know why.

You sound dumb. Please read and keep up with the thread so that you're aware of context before trying to provide a zinger.

Studio One 5 was $169 Tax Free for a new license on crossgrade. It wasn't that expensive and it has served a worthwhile purpose. I don't regret buying it, but I don't see a reason to keep using it , esp. once Steinberg drops the dongle.

Unless this update provided enough value to get me to switch over completely, it was bound to get deleted. That was the point of my initial post, and explained well enough in the follow-up.

It wasn't to complain about a free thing, but simply to state that this doesn't provide enough for me to switch over, as I'm not going to continue using two DAWs forever. It was one or the other.

2022 is a year of pruning, for me. I'm very serious about it.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:08 am
jamcat wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:11 am
Trensharo wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 am I'm fine with Cubase 12 since I'll be able to install on multiple machines without dongle swapping. Upgrades cost similar ($99 and then $60), so I'll just settle down with that.
Great! :tu:
Now here's a Cubase 12 thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=572836
I'm really struggling to understand why you linked a thread that everyone here knows about, since this was leaked months ago, and Steinberg has already given a timeline for C12's release.

Did I miss some news?
I think it's because you are talking about Cubase in a Studio One thread.

Actually, it’s because he has quit Studio One in dramatic fashion and is now a loyal Cubaser. So this thread is no longer relevant to him, and he is no longer relevant to it.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:30 am Actually, it’s because he has quit Studio One in dramatic fashion and is now a loyal Cubaser. So this thread is no longer relevant to him, and he is no longer relevant to it.
I'm just on KVR Audio for important stuff like this. "BREAKING NEWS!! The user "Trensharo" moved from Studio One to Cubase." First thing that's relevant to me in the morning.

I never moved from Studio One to Cubase. Studio One was always just a backup to Cubase that I used on my Laptop only, when I traveled across the country and didn't want to risk my eLicenser. 90% of my work was always on Cubase.

If this was good enough, I may have made the move to Studio One full-time, but since it hasn't addressed any of the lacks the software has vs. Cubase for me right now... I will be upgrading Cubase, which will delete the need for Studio One - altogether - moving forward.

Pretty sure this was made fairly clear in my previous replies.

This is why I asked about the redundant forum link. The linked thread was irrelevant cause irrelevant; at least to anyone who reads (fairly short) threads before trying to be cheeky :-P

Again, SO5.5 and C12 updates this year are about killing off increasingly unnecessary options, for me. No one needs both of these, except or dongle convenience.

This includes redundant DAWs, Plug-ins, Sample Libraries, etc. I'm purging a lot of sh*t so that I can decrease distraction, streamline my workflow, and potentially decrease costs moving forwards (in the form of upgrade fees paid for redundant products). So, it was either move to Studio One and then get on that upgrade train, or go to Cubase and say "thank you very much, you served your purpose well."

For example, I skipped the IK Multimedia $175 MAXgrade to Total Studio 3.5 MAX, which is actually a baller deal... because I deleted all of their stuff from all of my systems, anyways.

I think you guys are fighting a different battle than I am, Lol, but I appreciate the verve with which you do so.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Is it relatively bug free now and safe to update ?

Apparently not. Here's the Studio One thread at Presonus. Like others, I'm waiting until at least 5.5.1 before updating.

https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.p ... &start=180

Trancit wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pmNow it depends what 5.5 brings additionally on the table...
Wait on, you've said you've already uninstalled it. Now you're saying you don't yet know what's in it.
if these are the only important features this update brings I have to say this is a completely flop... niche groups shall have their updates too but they are still...niche groups... so an important update like a .5 may not just focus on them and piss all the "normal" users off...
First of all, it's not a ".5 update", it's a 0.1 update - from 3.4 to 3.5 - so why would you expect anything significant? Secondly, what makes you think you are in the majority of Studio One users? How do you know that you are not the niche user? I imagine Presonus knows exactly how many customers use it for what.
THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:14 pmStudio One 5.5 Update - Shite
If you think it's shite, I am encouraged.
Trensharo wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:22 pmI don't really need updates to a project page that is [still] worse than my old copy of Samplitude Pro X4 Suite. Other things were more important.
First of all, why do you think anyone should give a flying f**k about what you need? I sure as hell don't and I can't see why Presonus would, either. Secondly, if you don't get why it is far more convenient to do your mastering where you do the rest of your production work, then I really hope Presonus doesn't give a flying f**k what you think you need, because clearly you are clueless.
starflakeprj wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:35 pmWill the majority of people ever be happy with any update of any DAW? Seriously wondering.
Of course the vast majority will be happy to see that development remains ongoing and, honestly, wouldn't you have to be a self-centred c**t to complain about a free update?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:52 pmI'd kill for Arranger Track shared clips :scared:
Can't you do that with patterns?

Anyway, I mastered our new EP yesterday from the PROJECT Page and I have to say the experience was pretty good, especially compared to the way I used to do it. I don't think I used any of the new features but I did have to go back a few times and fix a few things in a couple of the mixes. Having all that happen in the same application was very convenient and allowed for a much better workflow that kept my head in the space it needed to be in. After getting it all set up the night before, I managed to master all four tracks in a single session, over about three hours, and I am really happy with the results. It's definitely going to be the loudest release we've had, at an average of about -7.x LUFS.

To be fair, it does seem a bit rough around the edges in parts. e.g. Trying to move the playhead to the beginning of each song was annoying and it took me several goes to get the songs onto the Project Page in the order I wanted them. I was surprised that I couldn't just drag them around into the correct order but, unless I missed something, you can't. But that's learning curve stuff and now that I know it, it won't be a problem again.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:37 am
antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:52 pmI'd kill for Arranger Track shared clips :scared:

Anyway, I mastered our new EP yesterday from the PROJECT Page and I have to say the experience was pretty good, especially compared to the way I used to do it. I don't think I used any of the new features but I did have to go back a few times and fix a few things in a couple of the mixes. Having all that happen in the same application was very convenient and allowed for a much better workflow that kept my head in the space it needed to be in. After getting it all set up the night before, I managed to master all four tracks in a single session, over about three hours, and I am really happy with the results. It's definitely going to be the loudest release we've had, at an average of about -7.x LUFS.

To be fair, it does seem a bit rough around the edges in parts. e.g. Trying to move the playhead to the beginning of each song was annoying and it took me several goes to get the songs onto the Project Page in the order I wanted them. I was surprised that I couldn't just drag them around into the correct order but, unless I missed something, you can't. But that's learning curve stuff and now that I know it, it won't be a problem again.
I mastered my first two tracks in the Project page as well, still a bit undecided if it's really useful for me (I am doing single tracks only). Some bugs and some features missing:
- It kept constantly asking to 'update' the Mastering file although I just did that from the song file.
- I'm missing versioning, I often go back and change a few things and would like to compare it to the 'old' master. Impossible it seems, unless I save a complete new song file and add that to the Project page.
- It seems you have to use the 'Digital Release' button? I just want to export a .wav and a .mp3, now it's putting it all in nested folders. Here as well, I want to add versioning in my exports (V1, V2, V3 etc) which I can't seem to figure out.
- When in the Project page and it asks to 'update the mastering file' and I press 'yes' it bugs out during the render. Happened in two different song files. It correctly opens the song file, starts exporting, but somehow the start of the render is wrong: it starts without audio, has wrong automation etc. This only seems to happen when I update the mastering file from the Project page, doing so manually from the Song page works fine 100% every single time.

Because of all this I am unsure if it's even useful to me to use the Project page.. I used to just open up a new project, call it 'song xx master', and you've got easy versioning, easier exports, etc. I can imagine for a whole album this is a superb feature, just not feeling it necessary for single releases so far.

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:10 am
Trancit wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:42 pmNow it depends what 5.5 brings additionally on the table...
Wait on, you've said you've already uninstalled it. Now you're saying you don't yet know what's in it.
I know why I muted you and did the error to look at this post from you... My fault...

Please please please... quote my posting where I said that!!

If you cannot distinguish between "Trancit" and "Trensharo" I don´t know how I can help you...
if these are the only important features this update brings I have to say this is a completely flop... niche groups shall have their updates too but they are still...niche groups... so an important update like a .5 may not just focus on them and piss all the "normal" users off...
First of all, it's not a ".5 update", it's a 0.1 update - from 3.4 to 3.5 - so why would you expect anything significant?
????
It´s says 5.5 update... but in reality it is a 0.1 update because there was a 5.4 (I took the freedom to correct your 3.4-3.5) before...
Man... I was wrong all these years...
Thank you very much for clarifying this topic for me... :tu: :party: :hug:

That makes perfectly sense... a .5 update it´s just when the gap the update before is at least 0.5...
And I always thought it´s a .5 update when the version number says x.5...

Silly me... what should I do without your wisdom??? :clap:

BONES wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:37 am
No. Currently S1 has the feature of Shared Clips and Patterns which both - for this particular need - work in the same way, i.e. when you adjust one instance all the others follow.

I want something like this for vertical slices of whole arrangement, so for example if you have a "verse" section in Arranger Track used 3 times in your track and they're linked, then whenever you add or remove clips/patterns on any of the tracks in one instance of the "verse" the modification gets populated to other instances. Currently you can only change existing clips/patterns, but can't add new or remove existing.

That would be similar how Blocks work in Reason:

Code: Select all

https://youtu.be/I6UFCdD4Lyk
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

anonymouspanda wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:46 am - It kept constantly asking to 'update' the Mastering file although I just did that from the song file.
I do the same and it doesn't keep asking me, perhaps it's a bug that has been fixed?
- It seems you have to use the 'Digital Release' button? I just want to export a .wav and a .mp3, now it's putting it all in nested folders. Here as well, I want to add versioning in my exports (V1, V2, V3 etc) which I can't seem to figure out.
It automatically puts new renders into a new folder, it never overwrites existing versions. Personally, I find that annoying but I get why it does it that way. And yes, "Digital Release" seems to be a weird way of labelling it.
- When in the Project page and it asks to 'update the mastering file' and I press 'yes' it bugs out during the render. Happened in two different song files. It correctly opens the song file, starts exporting, but somehow the start of the render is wrong: it starts without audio, has wrong automation etc. This only seems to happen when I update the mastering file from the Project page, doing so manually from the Song page works fine 100% every single time.
I didn't have any such problems, perhaps it's another thing that's been fixed?
I used to just open up a new project, call it 'song xx master', and you've got easy versioning, easier exports, etc. I can imagine for a whole album this is a superb feature, just not feeling it necessary for single releases so far.
I used to master in a combination of the standalone version of Ozone and Audition so this is a big step up from that.
Trancit wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:00 amPlease please please... quote my posting where I said that!!
My bad, it was actually Trenshero who said that, not you. My deepest apologies.
It´s says 5.5 update... Thank you very much for clarifying this topic for me...
Obviously it didn't work so I will try to spell it out for you. "5.5 Update" is shorthand for "Update from 5.4 to 5.5". It assumes you know what the current version is, which seems reasonable enough. Mind you, if you were still on Version 5.0 and did all the updates to 5.5, I think you'd feel that it was a very worthwhile 0.5 upgrade.
That makes perfectly sense... a .5 update it´s just when the gap the update before is at least 0.5...
And I always thought it´s a .5 update when the version number says x.5...
Are you seriously suggesting that if they had called it 5.6 your expectations would have been lower? No, of course not, you're just being a dick for the sake of being a dick.

BONES wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:38 am
anonymouspanda wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:46 am - It kept constantly asking to 'update' the Mastering file although I just did that from the song file.
I do the same and it doesn't keep asking me, perhaps it's a bug that has been fixed?
It automatically puts new renders into a new folder, it never overwrites existing versions. Personally, I find that annoying but I get why it does it that way. And yes, "Digital Release" seems to be a weird way of labelling it.
Yeah the only thing I would want is an export to a .wav file in a folder I pick (without further nesting) and with the name I give the file. I often tweak my masters further and want to compare V4 to V3 etc. Now I manually have to rename & replace the files every export.

It would also be really cool to have multiple versions of the mix in the Project file. I often tweak the mix and compare it to see which one will translate to a better master. Perfection right :hihi:
BONES wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:38 am
I didn't have any such problems, perhaps it's another thing that's been fixed?
I used to just open up a new project, call it 'song xx master', and you've got easy versioning, easier exports, etc. I can imagine for a whole album this is a superb feature, just not feeling it necessary for single releases so far.
I used to master in a combination of the standalone version of Ozone and Audition so this is a big step up from that.
Yeah seems like some bugs, especially the one where the updated mastering file isn't correctly rendered. Have to say that my projects are huge though, including loads of third party plugins. But still, rendering from the song page works 100% of the time without any issues, and as soon as I update from the Project page it bugs out.

Anyway, I want to use this workflow because I love the idea, it just seems it's lacking a few things for me so far. Maybe I need to get use to it though, we'll see :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”