BlueARP VST Arpeggiator development - let's discuss! (Apple M1 ready, 4K)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
BlueARP

graywolf2004 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:29 pm
mucknog wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:32 pm Hello,
the VST3 version ( 2.3.8 ) seems to have a problem, it does not react to Program Change messages.
The VST2 version works fine.
I'm in REAPER v6.46.
Cheers
This is a VST3 issue, not BlueARP, say thanks to $teinberg. And no hope it will change. They deliberately deprecated any MIDI messages to the plugin, even sustain pedal messages. I have to grey them out in VST3 version, didn't do it yet.
This VST3 thing with midi is quite depressing... Especially know that Steinberg is moving out of VST2. Hope they are the only ones....

Stupid question: Why can VST3 plugins work with stuff note on/off messages, pitch bend messages, aftertouch messages, but not with program change messages?

How is MIDI learn even possible, if you can't send MIDI to a plug-in?

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:13 pm Stupid question: Why can VST3 plugins work with stuff note on/off messages, pitch bend messages, aftertouch messages, but not with program change messages?

How is MIDI learn even possible, if you can't send MIDI to a plug-in?
I'm not sure midi learn works at all with VST 3...

AFAIK, it does. I think it was added later though, in the last few years. At least an "official" method, not requiring some hacks.

Some VST3 instruments I own (and have installed currently) which allow for MIDI learn: Arturia Pigments, Cakewalk Z3TA 2, discoDSP Obxd, Dmitry Sches Thorn, Brainworx bx_oberhausen, u-he RePro and ZebraCM, Waves Codex and Elements 2.

Of course, I don't know how MIDI learn was implemented in these synths. Maybe it is a "dirty" workaround.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:53 pm AFAIK, it does. I think it was added later though, in the last few years. At least an "official" method, not requiring some hacks.

Some VST3 instruments I own (and have installed currently) which allow for MIDI learn: Arturia Pigments, Cakewalk Z3TA 2, discoDSP Obxd, Dmitry Sches Thorn, Brainworx bx_oberhausen, u-he RePro and ZebraCM, Waves Codex and Elements 2.

Of course, I don't know how MIDI learn was implemented in these synths. Maybe it is a "dirty" workaround.
I'm not quite sure on the terms here. If 'midi learn' and 'automation' are the same for you - then yes, VST3 supports it. Technically, VST3 plugin can't receive MIDI CC messages directly, but it exposes its parameter list to the host, host processes MIDI CC msg and changes certain parameter in the plugin. Should work in BlueARP VST3 as well (automating params I mean). But, as it was mentioned before, MIDI CC pass thru won't work in VST3.
PS. AFAIR, bluearp exposes 'CurProgram' parameter and you can automate it as well. So it is not possible to switch programs via sending program change message, but possible via that param automation. Or via chains as well.

Hello, I Have question About BlueArp installation on mac with MainStage
Bluearp wont show up in mainstage ?? Followed the install but it will not show up
Hd/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST ?
Regards Stefan

Stefan70 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:35 pm Hello, I Have question About BlueArp installation on mac with MainStage
Bluearp wont show up in mainstage ?? Followed the install but it will not show up
Hd/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST ?
Regards Stefan
Can you please be more specific: 1) which version of MacOS 2) do you use the latest notarized v2.3.8 3) to exclude errors on your side, did you try to install any other plugin via the same procedure to make sure it works

Hi
I am running Catalina 10.15.7 and the latest the latest v2.3.8
install other plugin via the same procedure to make sure it works > Guess i haft to find some copy paste plugins and try ;)
/S

Stefan70 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:37 pm Hi
I am running Catalina 10.15.7 and the latest the latest v2.3.8
install other plugin via the same procedure to make sure it works > Guess i haft to find some copy paste plugins and try ;)
/S
Yeah, cause I have no idea what can go wrong here (except security issues). Maybe you have to do some plugin re-scan manually. Also check the OSX security settings, maybe something is still wrong with security and this is the reason, in this case it should appear there (a notice about unverified developer or something).

graywolf2004 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:08 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:54 pm Late to the party on BlueARP, got it bundled with Unify and really like using it, but wondering if there's any way to get the program browser to react to MIDI CCs as I'd love to be able to audition different arp patterns from my keyboard controls rather than via mouse clicks?
Couldn't see anything about it in the manual, but thought if a control goes 1..128 it's usually MIDIable somewhere or intended to be at some point.
The same answer - pattern chains, current chain setting, you can assign it to knob, slider or a button row, if you program these buttons to different values of the same CC. Looks like this thing is not so obvious for newcomers, but you can check the manual - pattern chains are described there pretty well.
Any chance you could create a tutorial on triggering chains/patterns using midi notes/keys? I'm in Logic Pro X. The process of chaining is described clearly in the manual, but I'm struggling with finding a way to trigger patterns with keys. Or do I need to use sliders/buttons/knobs exclusively? (Seems like keys would work too. Just struggling to figure it out). Even so, would be interested to see a tutorial on CC's/keys and chains. Thx!

danwpc wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:22 am ...
Any chance you could create a tutorial on triggering chains/patterns using midi notes/keys? I'm in Logic Pro X. The process of chaining is described clearly in the manual, but I'm struggling with finding a way to trigger patterns with keys. Or do I need to use sliders/buttons/knobs exclusively? (Seems like keys would work too. Just struggling to figure it out). Even so, would be interested to see a tutorial on CC's/keys and chains. Thx!
It is not possible with keys (in an easy way at least), you need something that transmits CC/RPN/NRPN. So either a knob or a row of buttons. Not sure if you can use keys for that, but maybe some keyboards will allow to reprogram keys to send CC's instead of midi notes. And maybe some DAWs will assign keys to a certain controller/value, but this will be tricky and depend on DAW. I have the idea to make a tutorial no this, but too much stuff right now...
The easiest way to go - is to grab something like korg nanokontrol with a row of 8 buttons, works fine for me. Or if your midi keyboard has pads/button rows, I'm pretty sure you can reprogram them to use for chain switching. The key thing is to make them transmit the same CC when you press them, but different values, like 0, 16, 32, 48, etc. So basically your button row should work like a single knob and by hitting buttons you just trigger different values.
PS. If you are about switching programs instead of chains - you can try to automate 'CurProgram' parameter the same way or try to pass program change messages from your keyboard to the plugin. Basically, the plugin reacts to program change messages, but the tricky thing will be to pass them to the plugin, DAW will likely filter them out.
Last edited by graywolf2004 on Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

You can do that with the fantastic Bome midi translator. With the pro version you can even use keystrokes from your computer keyboard.

Unfortunately I'm having this issue now in Bitwig: "Could not load initial plugin state"

Bitwig 4.1.6, BlueArp 2.3.8
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bitwig, Roland TR-8S, 303, Volcas, Deepmind12, Neutron, Poly D, NI | Berlin, Germany

nessbeth wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:55 am Unfortunately I'm having this issue now in Bitwig: "Could not load initial plugin state"

Bitwig 4.1.6, BlueArp 2.3.8
Try using VST 2.4 format instead. Or make sure the folder of the settings is placed in the right place.

In the changelog of the newest Melda plugins version is a fix for sloppy midi out for arps with higher latency.
Maybe you could connect if his fix would benefit bluearp as well....

Return to “Instruments”