Korg wavestate

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SLiC wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:48 pm a 3 engine Wavestate, OP6 and Modwave in one board, now that would be attractive to the space poor like me....
In a desktop module, for those even poorer on space :hyper:
Always Read the Manual!

trusampler wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:33 pm Hopefully they've updated the keybed, I owned the Original Wavestate for a short time ,and it was by far the worst feeling synth action I've ever felt in a Korg synth.
They say it's their "premium keybed with channel aftertouch". Unsure if that means the same one from Prologue or not.

Last edited by goldenanalog on Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

I finally bought one. It's a grunty little bugger innit? TBH the smaller keys don't bother me, and I barely scratched the surface yet, but by god! Those pads make me moist...they seem to go on for days and you can make them go quicker or slower etc. Simply cannot wait to figure out programming my own wavesequence noodlings put through a screaming MS20 filter.
Can you arpeggiate wavesequences? Now that would be something...I think I started dribbling. :scared:

kritikon wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:51 am Can you arpeggiate wavesequences? Now that would be something...I think I started dribbling. :scared:
You can set the sequence lanes to advance the start steps for each new note. So the arpeggiator can drive the sequences. Maybe this is what you are getting at?

I had compared the old wavestation hardware and with the vst, the software does not come close
not bad but not the same sound, but for most it will be enough, for me too lol
i think the wavestate is one of the most powerful synthy for the price when you can handle it

Here are a few Bundles for Korg Wavestate. I just finished the 5th chapter yesterday night.
link to page http://www.jedisimon.com/soundscapes.htm
Here You shall find: Soundscapes, Pads, Cynematic, Transient Spheres and Meditative. No noises, no useless samples, no plastic sounds or randomised chaotic waste. QUANTUM approach generates a particular kind of sounds that shall show sub organic qualities that must not be considered
either essential nor marginal. Quantum clouds, creating shades of transients that shall make the difference, shall introduce the player and the listener to
remarkable and new dimensions of the spirit, feeling and emotion. Insight and vision shall follow. Since the first two collections I have discovered
a more mature approach to create on Wavestate Keyboard sounds that are now starting to introduce
Quasi Holophonic positioning, interchangeable spaces, sequential growth, elastic time frame and interacting functions that You shall discover.
You shall find 20 free samples here and there looking for jedi station or jedi simon soundscapes on musical web sites that allow sharing. Take care.

As Wavestate is still a prototype, do not use its keyboard to program any kind of sound or You shall miss the aim. Use a professional master keyboard or fatar, and according to you taste, weighted or semi weighted, so that after touch informations shall be integrated in the program. Dynamic direct control means a lot to the musician, and although knobs are great, their position, considering hand work is still faulty depending on the prototype You are using. Spiderman multiple finger combinations are in fact something that reminds me of the Day of the Triffids, a tripod or a bathroom stool. Mentality makes the difference. Going back to bundles, I have created more than 500 lately, and shall start the sampling integration in a short time. Although software and hardware approach usually misses deep understanding, considering Quantum for example, nevertheless, I shall introduce and apply these variable in the machine, that will produce completely different sounds by adding engines that are not present in the software and the hardware itself.
It is a new language altogether. I worked hard on the expanded remake of some typical sounds as well, including synths, brass, organs, choirs, bell sounds that shall never disappear, in a soundtrack producer key, as well as concentrating on soundscapes, atmospheres and meditative dimensions. Lack of understanding does make the difference. Giving and holding back, never allowed korg to go OPEN SYS as OASYS was ment to be. We are still missing a normal usb slot in the prototype, or a door to connect it to external samples as the function with 2.0 upgrade is now active. Jo jo game, as usual, so We shall have to consider it a light expander to be used on holiday, camping, or sailing. Just find a 12v battery pack, and a pair of headphones. That's all, and this configuration shall allow You to enjoy Your Wavestate even of top of a mountain. Here are the bundles just in case You are interested in my works. http://www.jedisimon.com/soundscapes.htm Jedi Simon

Long time ago, 100 and 126 bundles were the standard palette to create. Nowadays, I can see that plenty of producers are down scaling work, quality and ideas. Considering soft synths, especially with Wavestate and other protos of this kind, meaning 37 keyboard expanders, I would suggest to go back to the old school and try to meet the needs of the composers and musicians, that often lack the time to prepare the colours before starting the painting itself. Plenty want to enjoy themselves, so, as sounds do make the difference and are instrumental to creation, I advice the community to go back to 100 sounds, or even more, bundles, that allow creativity, without limiting it to specific dimensions. As Wavestate could contain 10000 pre programmed sets, so there is no limitation to the possible elaboration and interaction of forms. I feel confortable with 5000 although, each room of the castle is a new location where to find inspiration. If it does not breathe, it is not alive. When I produce a new sound, most of the sounds, as We all come from the Korg school, shall be formed by the integration of mpc, multi layers, that ultimately shall form a Combination, according to quantity and qualities added. This is a characteristic of combination section that in Wavestation tried to reach quasi organic pre recorded pattern functionality, aiming to nature since day one of the project! So, when I make a sound, i look for full implementation of 4 dimensional spaces. No need to say that the amount of programming time grows ew a lot: x4 sounds themselves + x4 multiple effects + x4 seq motion changes and waveshaping functions all directed to to enhance spatial integration of the created multi sound, but this path pays well. I reached a mere 32 sound wave integration of shapes within one combination, plenty of times, and not asking You to do so, even if Korg enjoyed the combination part of the synthesizer a lot and allowed us to mix up to 16 tracks the mpc found inside the box. This new approach is basically a 4 dimensional one with integration of 7 dynamic floors that "shall place Wavestate right in the middle of the ocean of waves", as long as they produce the proper keyboard, place a humand lcd display in the middle of it, and add 4 usb slots, solid hard disk for samples, more memory and alu case. Take care. Here are the bundles just in case You are interested in my works. http://www.jedisimon.com/soundscapes.htm

I have had the WS for a few weeks and haven't had time until this week to sit down and try and wrap my head around things. I think I got it but to just double check things I thought I would ask here...

Tell me if I miss something;
A performance on WS is like a patch on another synth.
A performance is made up of 1 to 4 layers.
You either play "Performances" or "Multi-samples"
A Set List is a group of up to 64 performances (4 banks of 16) that are assigned to the row of 16 buttons
Even though all performances are available at all times only one Set List is in use at a time.
WS can have/load one user bank at a time. (sample builder)
When you load a user bank it erases the current user bank in the synth and replaces it with the new upload.
The user bank is made up of multi-samples and the those multi-samples are made up/point to the .wav files
Loading a user bank is different from loading the matching performances.
Loading performances or Set Lists requires the librarian/editor (unless you create them on the synth).

Am I wrong on any of those points?

jedisimon wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:21 am Here are a few Bundles for Korg Wavestate. I just finished the 5th chapter yesterday night.
link to page http://www.jedisimon.com/soundscapes.htm
Here You shall find: Soundscapes, Pads, Cynematic, Transient Spheres and Meditative. No noises, no useless samples, no plastic sounds or randomised chaotic waste. QUANTUM approach generates a particular kind of sounds that shall show sub organic qualities that must not be considered
either essential nor marginal. Quantum clouds, creating shades of transients that shall make the difference, shall introduce the player and the listener to
remarkable and new dimensions of the spirit, feeling and emotion. Insight and vision shall follow. Since the first two collections I have discovered
a more mature approach to create on Wavestate Keyboard sounds that are now starting to introduce
Quasi Holophonic positioning, interchangeable spaces, sequential growth, elastic time frame and interacting functions that You shall discover.
You shall find 20 free samples here and there looking for jedi station or jedi simon soundscapes on musical web sites that allow sharing. Take care.
I presume these can be used in the software version too? - they look great

UncleAge wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:12 am You either play "Performances" or "Multi-samples"
One layer can either load a wavesequence or a single multisample.

Single multisample could be you load a piano sound that you play and no sequencing is involved doing that.

Loading a wavesequence in a layer all the lanes of sequencing is involved.

A Set List is a group of up to 64 performances (4 banks of 16) that are assigned to the row of 16 buttons

Even though all performances are available at all times only one Set List is in use at a time.

Am I wrong on any of those points?
Any number of set lists can be created in WS too.
But as you say, one active at a time.
It reference 4 x 16 performances in the database.
If you send program change over midi one of these 64 is activated.

All performances are available in database, and can be selected manually through display. But set lists are more convenient, I think.

Thanks

I believe that You shall be able to work with native wavestate sounds if the software version of the program has in memory the complete set of samples which should amount to something like 4 Gb Anyhow, if part of the samples shall not be present I believe that holes could appear in them. I have no tried the software version of the Wavestate, but shall try it. Latency, as usual, shall be the problem with air version, and the pc that is simulating the keyboard. Concerning The tiny card that is running the whole game, a standard motherboard could do the job, and a better audio card could even make it sound a little better. In this case I would advice You to use an oversampling x8 sound card able to deal with lowest possible latency. Do not forget that Asio, in the case of native hardware, shall interact with Your sound card in a negative way even if You are not using it, because of interference, in the background that roots flows elsewhere. Once I deleted it, got my standard 2ms latency back, whilst values reached 48 ms latency with no reason at all. So, avoid standard asio4all drivers if You are using a particular soundcard that requires native software. I am creating a complete new set of sound samples for Wavestate, about 1 Gb to be added to the keyboard, to implement it to the next level. This project shall take some time, but nevertheless, I am trying hard to restyle and renew it, as its possibilities are great, form the point of view of master controlling multilayered scenes, that would require a great deal of time to be prepared. These new samples, form synths that I love, shall be part of the next innovation, where organic thinking is required to interact with morphing realities. So, soul in the machine. Take care! Suggestion: I would love to see the true Wavestate produced, with a standard touchscreen as the Kronos one, Alu and wood, 120 gb sample space, usb slot on the go, and oversampling capability on board, improving at the same time the level of standard 48000 hz samples to 96khz at least, although it is time for a 192khz resolution that is my standard at the moment.
I have programmed 750 sounds for this keyboard and reached 4 th generation processing methods, although the introduction of the sampling engine make it a new instrument once again. Let me know if something happens in the mean time. Love

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”