Korg Wavestate and Opsix for Win/Mac

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

PAK wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:05 am
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:09 am When idle It uses 7% Cpu in Studio One 5 and goes up to 8% When Playing some keys.
So no noticeable CPU increase on idle using Epichondriac Split with your CPU?
I have a similar result to D-Fusion in Cubase 11. Also, OPSix is slightly more than Wavestate in most DAWs on my system. So, no problem for me :)

PAK wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:05 am
D-Fusion wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:09 am When idle It uses 7% Cpu in Studio One 5 and goes up to 8% When Playing some keys.
Thanks for checking. So no noticeable CPU increase on idle using Epichondriac Split with your CPU? Interesting. As I said, I can get it to "behave" with that patch, but only by turning the mentioned FX off.

Since it's a noticeable increase, on idle, here my best guess is such a difference might be related to Korg's compiler settings.. It really seems, very much, like Korg are neither testing much (if at all) with the earlier generations of i7 CPUs, nor Nvidia graphics configurations. Makes me wonder if they're Bootcamping Apple machines to test on Windows ;)
True. Something is off With the Betatesters of these Vst's if they even had some testing before they released them.

I also tested the OPSiX With 2 Different Graphic Cards and the Difference where huge.
With AMD Radeon 6500 XT I get kind of a weird boot up time before gui shows up and laggy Performance but the Cpu usage where around 9-10% and it showed the Same % in Studio one and Task Manager.

With my Nvidia Gforce 1060 6GB I got even Lower Cpu usage In Studio one 3% but Upto 45% Cpu usage in Taskmanager while idle but on the other side of things the Gui Was Quick and Snappy but my Cpu suffered in a weird way instead.

Didn't test the NVidia Card on the Wavestate because it runs so well on my Radeon Card so i decided to let it go while i wait for a fix for the OPSiX that i bought before trying since i have wanted the OPSix since it was released but never bought it until now.

Anyone know if the Wavestate hardware crossgrade option is time-limited to the introductory offer or will it continue beyond that?

I still think it's a denormal issue... the fact that turning off the FX sections makes it go away is a very strong indicator. Hopefully there will be an update from Korg soon. I had to resort to freezing tracks again in order to work with Wavestate... I'm using a Thinkpad P52 workstation laptop with a hexa-core i7-8850H / 32gb and nVidia Quadro P2000 / 4gb.

Torchlight wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:40 pm Anyone know if the Wavestate hardware crossgrade option is time-limited to the introductory offer or will it continue beyond that?
It was only for a few weeks. Possibly might have stopped - 5th or 6th April rings a bell but might be a few days out...pretty sure it won't be available next week. The cutoff date was mentioned somewhere - can't remember if it was in this thread or another WS thread.

Due to confusion on a few forums, I contacted Korg support last week. They confirmed that the non cross grade purchase offer finishes today, but the cross grade offer will remain open, but they did not give any idea how long for.
Some of my music Soundcloud Goseba

Just checked - ended 5th April.
Was in this thread viewtopic.php?t=579736

Ah...scratch that - just saw Goseba's post above. :tu:

Yeah, I am late to the party as usual. I updated my hardware OpSix and the sound librarian this evening so that I could get the coupon code based on its machine ID for the cross-grade. OpSix is chewing up about 65 percent of my laptop CPU (older 2016 Lenovo P50 with a Xeon and a Quadro CAD card). It is pretty much not usable right now. I hope Korg fixes it quickly.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

Has Korg made a statement about the CPU issue and a possible ETA of a fix?

i m testing opsix and to me it dosen t bring much compared to what is already there in term of fm synth sound caractere ? the strenght might be in the seq modulations, need to try it more but the overall caractere is a bit deceving for me for now.

Hi all! We've just updated wavestate native to version 1.0.2, available through Korg Software Pass. Version 1.0.2 includes a number of improvements in response to initial user feedback, as detailed below.

We're aware of reports of high CPU usage on some systems, particularly when idle (even though the per-voice CPU usage is low). Without going into too much detail, this appears to be caused by the way that some combinations of operating systems and processors handle multi-threading. We're currently testing a fix for this (along with a few other user-reported issues), and if all goes well we hope to release another update soon.

Changes in wavestate native version 1.0.2

* The Sound Browser now includes columns for created/modified times (you may need to scroll to see them initially; drag and drop to rearrange columns as desired). Previously these were available only in the Librarian window.
* Added new Librarian menu command: Export Bundle of All User Sounds. This exports a bundle of all non-write-protected data, for backing up or transferring all of your custom sounds at once.
* Added option to skip factory sounds on import.
* Added new menu commands for documentation and help: Open Online Manual and Open Help Center.
* Playing notes with Performance Hold enabled could eventually cause high CPU usage. This has now been fixed.
* Display of Vector Joystick position is now centered at startup (actual sound is unaffected).
* Fixed problem with Import when overwriting a larger version of an item with a smaller version. This would crash on macOS, and show the error "Not enough storage space available" on Windows.
* When multiple instances of wavestate native were running simultaneously, there could be audible glitches. This has now been fixed.
* Dragging from Aftertouch, Velocity, or other keyboard sources no longer switches the Mod Source pane to Keyboard. Previously this prevented dragging from these sources to another mod source.
* Improved text in the installer.
* Set the VST category to Synth.
* Previously, the Windows installer inadvertently included an option to change the install location. This has been removed.
* Previously, Layer Mod knobs might not redraw properly on layer change if knobs had differing polarity. This has now been fixed.
* Previously, copy/pasting a layer could cause an intermittent crash. This has now been fixed.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

danatkorg wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:51 pm Hi all! We've just updated wavestate native to version 1.0.2, available through Korg Software Pass. Version 1.0.2 includes a number of improvements in response to initial user feedback, as detailed below.

We're aware of reports of high CPU usage on some systems, particularly when idle (even though the per-voice CPU usage is low). Without going into too much detail, this appears to be caused by the way that some combinations of operating systems and processors handle multi-threading. We're currently testing a fix for this (along with a few other user-reported issues), and if all goes well we hope to release another update soon.
That is great news. I hope similar fixes will apply to OpSix Native.
------------------------------------------
Gribs

danatkorg wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:51 pm We're aware of reports of high CPU usage on some systems, particularly when idle (even though the per-voice CPU usage is low). Without going into too much detail, this appears to be caused by the way that some combinations of operating systems and processors handle multi-threading. We're currently testing a fix for this (along with a few other user-reported issues), and if all goes well we hope to release another update soon.
Thanks for the update Dan. You may want to pass on, to whoever maintains the Triton Extreme plugin code, that its DAC modeling appears to exhibit similar "CPU overload" type behaviour on early generation i7's (EG i7-920) too..

Since it can be solved by keeping the DAC set to Digital, and no other part of the plugin appears affected, it's not a huge deal. But it'd still be nice to see fixed. :) I've seen others say they tried to report it to Korg support, only for them to somewhat misunderstand and explain the feature is expected to use more CPU. D'oh. It generates 100% load as soon as you switch DAC, regardless of patch complexity, and without anything playing. It's another situation, like this, where it mainly (only?) seems to impact earlier generation CPU's.

I'll pass that on; you're right, that's not my group! I'm pretty sure it's a different issue, since I don't think that plug-in used multithreading.
Dan Phillips
Manager of Product Development, Korg R&D

Would be nice to be able to ‘favourite’ patches - some have a star symbol by the name that would seem to imply some sort of ‘favourite’ option but I can’t get it to work

Return to “Instruments”