SynthMaster & SynthMaster Player v2.9.16 update: New skin + bug fixes

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SynthMaster 1+2 Bundle SynthMaster 2 SynthMaster 2 iOS SynthMaster Everything Bundle SynthMaster Player

Is this the last update before synthmaster 3?

briefcasemanx wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:03 am Is this the last update before synthmaster 3?
That's what I am hoping for, unless there are any showstopper bugs. NO more new features, new formats :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now I am going to dedicate my entire time until the end of the year for SynthMaster 3. I really apologize for the delay(s), but all were necessary, believe me. We now have an infrastructure to be able to develop crossplatform plugins on 3 different platforms easily: Windows, MacOS and iOS (VST2, VST3, AAX, AUv2, AUv3)

I will be posting development updates for SynthMaster 3 on our facebook group by the way:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/synthmasterusers
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

Thanks a lot for the update, especially regarding VST3 compatibility. There is, however, one thing I'd like to point out for you to consider. The VST3 seems to use a different ID than the old VST2. This is a bit problematic as, this way, the SynthMaster VST3 won't automatically replace the VST2 when opening old projects, so it forces the user to keep both the VST2 and VST3 installed just for backwards compatibility. It's also not the usual approach Steinberg recommends and other developers have followed when releasing VST3 versions of their plugins. Maybe it's not too late to change that. I understand this may be a company decision, though, so thanks anyway for the great and free update :tu:.

Sahul wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:10 am Thanks a lot for the update, especially regarding VST3 compatibility. There is, however, one thing I'd like to point out for you to consider. The VST3 seems to use a different ID than the old VST2. This is a bit problematic as, this way, the SynthMaster VST3 won't automatically replace the VST2 when opening old projects, so it forces the user to keep both the VST2 and VST3 installed just for backwards compatibility. It's also not the usual approach Steinberg recommends and other developers have followed when releasing VST3 versions of their plugins. Maybe it's not too late to change that. I understand this may be a company decision, though, so thanks anyway for the great and free update :tu:.
Hi there,

How did you assume that we used a different ID than the old VST2 ? We calculate the VST3 ID based on the VST2 ID 'Sm2i' + VST2 name 'SynthMaster 2', as instructed by Steinberg. If we're doing something wrong, yes we would like to fix it this week asap.

EDIT: I realized that we were not passing the vst2 plugin name as lower case to the ID generation function (the function is provided by Steinberg). Just fixed that. VST2 -> VST3 replacement is working now! :tu:
Last edited by kv331 on Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Works at KV331 Audio

kv331 wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:53 am How did you assume that we used a different ID than the old VST2 ? We calculate the VST3 ID based on the VST2 ID 'Sm2i', as instructed by Steinberg. If we're doing something wrong, yes we would like to fix it this week asap.
Sorry, I didn't mean you did something wrong. I'm not a developer myself, so my wording could not be accurate. I assumed, as read on forums, that when a VST3 doesn't automatically replace the corresponding VST2 is because their VST IDs are different, so the DAW sees both formats as separate and unrelated plugins. Maybe there are more things going on behind the curtains. I can only report that, at least on Cubase Pro for Windows, both SynthMaster VST2 and VST3 load as different plugins. Please let me know if I can be of more help.
Last edited by Sahul on Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sahul wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:08 am I can only report that, at least on Cubase Pro for Windows, both SynthMaster VST2 and VST3 load as different plugins. Please let me know if I can be of more help.
Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention :clap: Issue fixed now!

Now testing with Studio One and Cubase 12 for loading VST2 -> VST3 projects and then we'll have a new update tonight! (You'll be able to download it inside the plugin window -> check for updates)
Works at KV331 Audio

I'm writing this only because i really like both synthmasters and wanna use them more,BUT...
There is something i don't know what exactly wrong in their code probably,but need attention and fixation:
BUG1:
SM1 MOD WHEEL functions freeze when change preset in real time and sometimes produce digital distortion when export audio - was reported and still there.
BUG2:
SM2 vst2 specifically didn't show gui at all,vst3 works,but crash and still doesn't save and show in browser new presets and new bank name.
Personally to me both already are way ahead compared to many synths as sound and options,but need some revision and fixation in term of stability and usefulness,otherwise is bad for users and developer as well.
Cheers :)
https://www.veed.io/view/d08b3a98-2f70- ... 7217f8502a

By the way i'm super exited about development of SM3 and can't wait for it,but these issues must be solved cause users like me with many projects using both synthmasters are somewehere in the middle of nowhere with these issues :)
Cheers :)
Make music and love no war :)

This crashes on Ableton Live 11 (Win 11) when trying to edit envelopes. Reinstalling does not help. VST2 works so it's the VST3 version.

Lazarus451 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:34 am This crashes on Ableton Live 11 (Win 11) when trying to edit envelopes. Reinstalling does not help. VST2 works so it's the VST3 version.
Hi,

Thanks for the bug report(s). I am uploading a new build today which includes a fix for the above issue as well.
Works at KV331 Audio

The VST3 versions gui is sluggish in comparison to the VST2 version, I'm on windows 11, using Reaper 6.

i have just installed the new version and already 3 crashes with ableton11, one when i tried to edit a sequence. i also observed very big spikes on various presets, but maybe thats due to abletons indexing task for the reinstalled synthmaster sound files etc.

//the sequencer edit crash is reproducable. and its on vst2

Lbdunequest wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:55 pm There is something wrong with the installer. It installs DLLs to C disk despite having selected different directory and doesnt show full plugin anymore. Instead i see this.

Need to roll back to previous version.
Had the same problem, that is the installer dumped the dll in c:, and of course gave the error about the preset bank.
But easy fix since you told about the solution
Simple and repetive are my middle names

anttimaatteri wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:00 pm i have just installed the new version and already 3 crashes with ableton11, one when i tried to edit a sequence. i also observed very big spikes on various presets, but maybe thats due to abletons indexing task for the reinstalled synthmaster sound files etc.

//the sequencer edit crash is reproducable. and its on vst2
Just released an update for this (rev 12551). Please check for updates from within the plugin window. This update fixes the following issues:

1. VST2 plugin window is not resized correctly for some hosts, resulting in a very small window.
2. VST3 plugin is not correctly linked to the VST2 version, resulting in DAWs recognizing them as unrelated plugins.
3. VST2 settings are not loaded correctly when a DAW (such as Studio One or Cubase) loads the VST3 version instead of VST2.
4. Editing internal parameters not recognized by the VST3 DAW crashes SynthMaster.
5. SynthMaster might freeze the DAW due to a problem with multithreaded locking.
Last edited by kv331 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Works at KV331 Audio

Lbdunequest wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:55 pm There is something wrong with the installer. It installs DLLs to C disk despite having selected different directory and doesnt show full plugin anymore. Instead i see this.
VST3 is installed to a fixed location on Windows, under Program Files\Common Files\VST3

VST2 is installed to the location that the user chooses.
Works at KV331 Audio

Return to “Instruments”