Bitwig 4.3 announced 'space and tone' - a new reverb and delay...

Official support for: bitwig.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Against many other I think they did it exactly correct:

Reverb and Delay were the weakest points of the internal FX as the old Reverb was simply bad and far far far behind all available freeware plugins which imho isn´t a very good reputation and especially the lack of a decent PingPong mode which is the most essential delay mode for electronic music made the older delays fall back too...

So from me a big thumbs up for this update... this filled some huge gap... nice representation of the impulse responses in the browser...
Only I would have wished a stretch option for the impulse responses like all of the VST´s got

I guess for now, when you select a waveform from the Impulse Folder, you can also drag it in the Arrangement (you get both: in the Reverb and on the Timeline) Stretch it and drop it into the Reverb.

Just an unnecessary workaround for now....
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

liquidsound wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 pm I guess for now, when you select a waveform from the Impulse Folder, you can also drag it in the Arrangement (you get both: in the Reverb and on the Timeline) Stretch it and drop it into the Reverb.

Would be just nicer in the plugin itself 8)

Trancit wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:09 am
liquidsound wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 pm I guess for now, when you select a waveform from the Impulse Folder, you can also drag it in the Arrangement (you get both: in the Reverb and on the Timeline) Stretch it and drop it into the Reverb.

Would be just nicer in the plugin itself 8)
As usual..... "To be continued..." :wink:
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

] Peter:H [ wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 4:39 pm Under the hood they do add Clap plug-in support. Clap is a plug-in API i.e. VST3 without VST3.
Upcoming Surge XT 1.1 will support Clap as well and that means Surge XT will be abel to use per-voice modulators.
You can try it already today with the Surge XT nightly.

Only thing I really miss is a MSEG modulator.
try to request it using an alias like "Custom Waveshapes Drawing Tool" maybe it would motivate them better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5JCxBxtoo
who knows :) btw. I'd be careful with this wish, Note Grid + 4-Stage is already a huge time burner
:party:
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Trancit wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:23 pm especially the lack of a decent PingPong mode which is the most essential delay mode for electronic music made the older delays fall back too...
I would say delay-4 is more than decent as a ping-pong delay so I wouldn't say it has been lacking

backtomusic wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:43 am
Trancit wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:23 pm especially the lack of a decent PingPong mode which is the most essential delay mode for electronic music made the older delays fall back too...
I would say delay-4 is more than decent as a ping-pong delay so I wouldn't say it has been lacking
Let´s say it this way round:

It is of course capeable of doing a ping pong delay but
- much harder to adjust as first you have to setup macros to be able to work in a convinient way
- it takes double as much CPU as the unused delay 3 and 4 with all of their inbuild processors like filters are running in parallel doing nothing but consuming power...
This isn´t noticeable with a single instance but with 20-30 instances it does make a difference and not necessarily a small one... especially as it is just wasted... for nothing... just because there was no other native...

I actually agree with both sides in the prior discussion: bitwig misses some basics like midi comping and better midi editing or shortcuts but also the new plugins are great. im very happy about a convolution plug. I had been using arturias reverbs and delays as I couldnt get what i want out of Bitwig but I think delay+ would maybe allow me to get rid of arturia FX, as I appreciate to work in an environment with as much consistency as possible. On the reverb front im not sure if one Convolution reverb, can give you all the flavours. The 3 Arturia Reverbs are quite nice and maybe I would even pick up sth additionally from valhalla. But I have to test it first.

Ultimately if people want to share Bitwig 'rack' instruments/pre-sets or even Grid devices it helps if there are good baked in FX that everyone has access to...you will always be able to find better 3rd party VST FX but it is very convenient to have them all baked in so that things can shared, especially with the Grid. Maybe they wanted this in place before the network/online sharing stuff was built in, who know.

I know when I work with Live and PUSH I work almost exclusively with the built in FX and Instruments as they integrate so well with the hardware...another reason for integration-good control maps and who knows, maybe a dedicated Bitwig controller one day!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

i wish there was a user library on the website for bitwig so you can download other people's creations with the grid etc

SLiC wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 1:52 pm Ultimately if people want to share Bitwig 'rack' instruments/pre-sets or even Grid devices it helps if there are good baked in FX that everyone has access to...you will always be able to find better 3rd party VST FX but it is very convenient to have them all baked in so that things can shared, especially with the Grid. Maybe they wanted this in place before the network/online sharing stuff was built in, who know.
100% agree with this. The higher quality the built in FX the better.

My band mate and I share projects, but have little plug in overlap especially fx and some of the built in ones get a lot of use. Things like phasor did not, so the new versions are very welcome.

summer2000 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 pm
_leras wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:24 pm
JHernandez wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 6:08 am FX Tracks Sends <-- Nice.
I'm wondering if this change will allow the FX tracks, which are conveniently placed near Master, to actually be used as Group Channels before Master.

In Cubase I have a pretty consistent grouping setup, 5-6 channel groups, some with a parallel channel, that then go into a Pre Master bus, with a parallel channel, then finally into Master.

Bitwig, for me, has it's grouping the other way, from tracks upwards, but for mixing, I really do want a structured set of 'stem' groups to mix into. I hope this can allow that some how.
I have a similar template in Nuendo and Cubase. I've never been able to set something like that in Bitwig. I guess Bitwig was never designed to handle that kind of group routing.
But they could add it easily enough! :wink:

I like how Bitwig allows you to easily group upwards from the tracks, it's quite easy to make a group add an fx int he group for parallel etc. I find this quite organic.

BUT

You need to minimise all the non group tracks, the group channels are spread all over the mixer, I can't see an easy way to have mixer views. And at mixing I really want my 5-6 buses, with inputs, any parralel and mixed faders.

And I'm also very happy to have this bus setup as a template that I can route into. and if possible this group mixer view would really just be it's own thing.

Anyway, I'll see if this new FX thing allows me to do it - as the default FX tracks do actually appear alongside the Master Channel.

gExpectations wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 12:53 pm bitwig misses some basics like midi comping
lol. Ableton added MIDI comping less than 2 years ago, on version 11, its current version. but somehow it's already a 'basic feature' ? What other daws even have it?

u-u-u wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 10:06 pm
summer2000 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:58 pm I have a similar template in Nuendo and Cubase. I've never been able to set something like that in Bitwig. I guess Bitwig was never designed to handle that kind of group routing.
I don't exactly what you try to achieve, but maybe you can use sends and route the output of some send tracks to another send track (via track output routing) which then serves as a "group mix bus" for those send tracks.
I wonder if it is possible to do it this way, and if the new changes make it simpler.

I want most of these group tracks to be a pair of tracks. i.e. stem track, plus parralel

I'll give it a go!

j wazza wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 2:04 pm i wish there was a user library on the website for bitwig so you can download other people's creations with the grid etc
https://bitwiggers.com/ ? (there is b2)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Return to “Bitwig”