Tracking Apple Silicon Native Hosts, Plugins, Effects

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic

davestretch wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:02 am iZotope Neoverb is now Native
Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 11.01.22.png
I'm pleasantly surprised that iZotope have come through with most of their product line now. IMO it's probably due to their more modern GUI framework. Regardless, it's Breaktweaker and Stutter Edit left here for me anyway from them.

Their new "partner" NI on the other hand.... :dog:

NI?
Let's not go there...
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

machinesworking wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 4:10 pm
davestretch wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 10:02 am iZotope Neoverb is now Native
Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 11.01.22.png
I'm pleasantly surprised that iZotope have come through with most of their product line now. IMO it's probably due to their more modern GUI framework. Regardless, it's Breaktweaker and Stutter Edit left here for me anyway from them.

Their new "partner" NI on the other hand.... :dog:
Breaktweaker, Trash 2 & Iris 2 aren’t getting updated for Apple Silicon. They’re abandonware now which sucks because I really liked Iris 2’s sound library/samples.

Yeah. Real shame about Iris. Nothing else like it. Maybe they should pass it on to NI to sort out.

Or maybe not...
'and when we got bored, we'd have a world war...'

ians wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 5:15 pm Yeah. Real shame about Iris. Nothing else like it. Maybe they should pass it on to NI to sort out.

Or maybe not...
Not that it would ever happen but in a perfect world they would sell it to UVI who put the tech into Falcon. Sucks about Breaktweaker too, Stutter Edit is on the ropes I would guess…

machinesworking wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 8:56 pm
Not that it would ever happen but in a perfect world they would sell it to UVI who put the tech into Falcon.
which tech is that? just curious. was unaware UVI had anything to do w/it or that izotope had anything to do w/falcon

For the love of all things good and evil it looks like all/most of Antares' stuff is FINALLY native. Took them forever to get going with this.

Edit: Doesn't look like Auto-Tune Pro is yet oddly enough, but Auto-Key and everything in the AVOX 4 bundle definitely is. I imagine Auto-Tune Pro will get an update soon enough.

I'm still hoping Guitar Rig 6 is recent enough for NI to consider developing a native version in less than 3 years from now.
Might as well sell my license to some bloke using Windows who might get use out of it.
void main(dumb)

tbs wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 1:18 pm Toontrack‘s new EZdrummer 3 is M1
I'm just pulling the "2" off that entry and leaving it.

JonathanLevine wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:59 pm For the love of all things good and evil it looks like all/most of Antares' stuff is FINALLY native. Took them forever to get going with this.

Edit: Doesn't look like Auto-Tune Pro is yet oddly enough, but Auto-Key and everything in the AVOX 4 bundle definitely is. I imagine Auto-Tune Pro will get an update soon enough.
Do you have an article or something on this? It's pretty vague, and I have no way to verify any of these.

chk071 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 pm
teilo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:41 pm Because VST3s are often just wrapped VST2s.
So what?
For the reason I stated. If it's just a wrapped VST2, it gains nothing unless a given DAW has no VST2 support.
chk071 wrote:
teilo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:41 pm Because VST2s tend to be more stable and have fewer bugs.
No, that's not my experience. Do you often use VST3 over VST2?
That's great that you have had nothing but good experiences with VST3. And yes, I have, and have seen things like MIDI learn break because there was no support in the standard, and the standard was in a half-baked state, and DAW support was all over the place for various features. I've seen the MIDI hoops developers need to jump through, which made MIDI-In features flaky. All of these things can eventually be fixed, but why would I mess with a VST3 that has these issues? Waste of my time.
chk071 wrote:
teilo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:41 pm Because since developers need to support multiple formats rather than just VST3, they develop to the least common denominator, and the "extra" features of VST3 are almost never used.
If you say so... sounds quoted straight of some developer's mouth (probably the ones involved in the CLAP format you love so much).
I've heard it from many developers, long before CLAP was a thing. You are going to argue with the developers who actually write the plugins? Ok then.
chk071 wrote:
teilo wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 5:41 pm Given the same plugin in both formats, in a DAW that supports both formats, there is no advantage of VST3 over VST2.
Actually, there are. But, if I told you, you'd probably write it off as marketing bla.
You're welcome to point out the exceptions.
chk071 wrote: But, nothing of that is really relevant, is it? Relevant is that more and more hosts will support VST3, and more and more will phase out VST2. Of course, we could go on discussing, but that wouldn't change anything about it.
Everything changes. I speak of what is true now, and I think it's dumb to be freaking out about plugin support when everything works today. I could understand this for the person who is Cubase-only, and has an M1 Mac. Other than that, it's just a whole lot of hand waving for no good reason.

dayjob wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:09 pm
Not that it would ever happen but in a perfect world they would sell it to UVI who put the tech into Falcon.
which tech is that? just curious. was unaware UVI had anything to do w/it or that izotope had anything to do w/falcon
Iris does a sort of subtractive synthesis based on the same tech in iZotope RX, so it's unlikely that they would sell or license it. I was just stating what would be the best solution to me, either Falcon or Omnisphere etc. with Iris capability, that's all.

machinesworking wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:27 pm
dayjob wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:09 pm
Iris does a sort of subtractive synthesis based on the same tech in iZotope RX, so it's unlikely that they would sell or license it. I was just stating what would be the best solution to me, either Falcon or Omnisphere etc. with Iris capability, that's all.
It reminds me more of SpectraLayers. But yes, it is quite unique. Nothing else like it. I'm also sad that is seems to be abandoned. I didn't do any serious work with it, but it was fun. It does not run at all on an M1.

teilo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:15 pm
chk071 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:49 pm No, that's not my experience. Do you often use VST3 over VST2?
That's great that you have had nothing but good experiences with VST3. And yes, I have, and have seen things like MIDI learn break because there was no support in the standard, and the standard was in a half-baked state, and DAW support was all over the place for various features. I've seen the MIDI hoops developers need to jump through, which made MIDI-In features flaky. All of these things can eventually be fixed, but why would I mess with a VST3 that has these issues? Waste of my time.
Just so you know, I'm pretty certain chk071 is a Windows only user. One of the original reasons for the AU format besides some who claim Apple wanting to lock people into their ecosystem because Apple is a bad company etc. was the issues VSTs had in OS9 that caused Macs in general to look less stable DAW wise than PCs. VST3 hosting in a DAW is not the priority for Steinberg, this isn't any mystery, so DAW developers have to backwards engineer parts of the hosting, couple that with odd differences between the way DAW implement hosting and Logic was quick to drop VST, even before Apple bought them Emagic were on board.

Long way of saying chk071 might experience VST3 as more solid than we do since some plug in manufacturers start on Cubase on Windows then port, badly. Oh and he's trolling by omission.

teilo wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 7:06 pm
JonathanLevine wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 9:59 pm For the love of all things good and evil it looks like all/most of Antares' stuff is FINALLY native. Took them forever to get going with this.

Do you have an article or something on this? It's pretty vague, and I have no way to verify any of these.
I don’t, unfortunately. I got notified through MacUpdater that there were updates available for everything in the AVOX 4 bundle and Auto-Key, and I after downloaded the most recent updates it said that they were ARM compatible (MacUpdater has an ARM label for Apps & Plug-Ins that are native).

If you go to the Antares’ downloads page on their website and download the plug-ins in the bundle you should be able to use activity monitor to verify that they’re native now. I checked their most recent article about M1 compatibility and they still haven’t updated it to say their stuff is native now, but that’s probably because they still have more products to update like Auto-Tune Pro.

Edit: Never mind, they did update their website. Here’s the link, it shows what plug-ins are native at the top now: https://www.antarestech.com/os-compatibility/

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”