Noise when changing patches on Axiom

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! We’re currently migrating all our guitar sounds to Axiom and so far it’s going great! But there’s one issue we keep having, and that is errant noise happening while switching between patches.

We tested it with different instances of effects (ie just with Axiom effects, some patches have the oat Patchwork chained and some don’t, etc) and there isn’t enough commonality to pinpoint something that’s causing this.

Updated to add: when I reduce the output gain (the knob in the top left of the Axiom window) to -40 while changing patches the errant noise is muted. Is there a way to mute audio while changing patches or some other way to stop this happening?

There are several possible reasons for noise happening when switching between patches:
- You are using different effect plug-ins in the patches. Loading/unloading an effect is like adding a pedal in the real world: it may introduce discontinuities in the sound.
- There may be very large gain changes between the patches. That may result in discontinuities between the patches too.
- There is a known problem that may sometimes happen switching between amps with and without impulse responses - we are still looking into a way to avoid that.

You may also want to check our article explaining how to optimize guitar patches for live gigs.

Ahh thank you! We are using different effect plug-ins, there are indeed different gain changes, and we are using different amps from patch to patch... so not sure which of those was causing the problem, but we were able to get around it by programming the MIDI controller to mute the signal briefly while changing patches. So it's all good now. Thanks for that link though, I did learn some good new tips from that.

portugueseninja wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 5:20 pm Ahh thank you! We are using different effect plug-ins, there are indeed different gain changes, and we are using different amps from patch to patch... so not sure which of those was causing the problem, but we were able to get around it by programming the MIDI controller to mute the signal briefly while changing patches. So it's all good now. Thanks for that link though, I did learn some good new tips from that.
Great!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”