NanoHost: Free minimalist host that can enlarge plugins

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
NanoHost

Nanohost v1.2.2 is a free minimalist host that allows you to enlarge the GUI of  your plugin. It works also with plugins that do not come with a resizeable GUI.
Click here to grow the size of your plugin instantly for several inches up to the maximum size that still fits on your screen!

https://www.tone2.com/nanohost.html

What is NanoHost?

It is a free, minimalist DAW for Windows that can load VST-synths. Furthermore, it can act as a wrapper which converts VST-synthesizers into standalone-apps.
This essential, tiny tool works best for live-performance, sound-design, jam-sessions and testing.

What is so special about NanoHost and why should i use it?
  • It is free, requires no registration and you are allowed to share it with your friends!
  • It is portable and requires no installation. You can place it whereever you want and even run it directly from a USB-stick or CD.
  • There is no plugin-scanning required since a plugin can be loaded directly - no matter where it is located on the hard-disc.
  • Because of low-level code-optimization it offers highest performance and can operate with lower latency than conventional hosts.
  • The GUI refreshes with an extremely high frame-rate (120 Hz). That's why you will experience smoother animations and graphics than with other hosts.
  • NanoHost itself requires nearly no space on the screen. As a result there is more space available for the interface of the VST-plugins.
  • The software is very small. It wastes no hard-disc space and is loading instantly.
  • Unlike conventional hosts the soundcard settings can be configured individually for every single plugin. This allows you to achieve the best possible performance for your VSTs.
  • NanoHost is very easy to use and offers context-sensitive help.
  • No copy protection
Features
  • Nanohost allows you to enlarge the interface of all(!) vst plugins - also those who do not come with a re-sizeable GUI.
  • It can convert a VST-synth into a standalone-application. You just need to rename NanoHost.exe to the name of the plugin.dll and copy it to the same directory. When you start plugin.exe, the VST-synth is wrapped and loaded automatically.
  • The output of a plugin can be recorded to a wav-file in high quality.
  • NanoHost can create random patches.
  • You can display a keyboard and play melodies with the mouse.
  • It offers a soft-clipping algorithm with low distortion and tube-sound.
  • Scrollbars allow you to work also with plugins larger than your screen resolution. It is possible to display also only a part of the plugin's interface.
  • Midi-notes can be transposed and Midi-channels can be filtered. There are several Midi-velocity curves available.
  • Your current sound-bank can be stored and loaded automatically.
  • It is compatible with 64-bit plugins and also with very old 32-bit plugins.
  • It does not need much resources and works also with old computers.

Technical data
  • Supported operating systems: Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 / 11 (32 bit or 64 bit), Linux with Wine
  • Supported plugin formats: VST 2.x (32-bit or 64-bit)
  • Supported soundcard-drivers: ASIO, MME, Direct Sound
  • Supported samplerates: 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 88 kHz, 96 kHz, 176 kHz, 192 kHz
  • Supported patch formats: *.fxp and *.fxb
  • Supported format for recordings: 32-bit WAV in stereo
Last edited by Markus Krause on Tue May 24, 2022 9:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

For free, wow. Will demo it later.

I have to look into the Tone2 stuff in general, too. Demo time ....

Well, that thread title surely caught my attention. :lol:

Markus, is v1.2.2 a new version? Nice to see you go on supporting this one.

yes. it's a new version with new features and many small enhancements

Markus Krause wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:57 am yes. it's a new version with new features and many small enhancements
subject is false advertising, then. boomtish. :D
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Cool. My first thought is, this could be really handy for debugging plugins when developing. Have'nt really found a solution for that, that i like.

I use it a lot for debugging my plugins.
You can enable Config->Autosave Bank On Exit. Then it automatically restores the status of your plugin settings.

I saw the thread title and thought "what am I going to do with another 10 inches" but I digress....

If I'm correct, Nanohost is a DAW that can't be run as a plugin inside other DAWs so that limits it's usability when composing but I imagine it would be useful when doing sound design on plugins with small GUIs like AirMusic Hybrid etc...

Thanks for developing Nanohost and setting it free. I'll give it a go later today...... :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thank You

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 10:28 am
Markus Krause wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 9:57 am yes. it's a new version with new features and many small enhancements
subject is false advertising, then. boomtish. :D
But how fitting that it’s only available for “Microsoft”
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Short question before I download...

Can the keyboard be configured so that you can play it with your computer keyboard? That's something I don't want to miss (I use Savihost at the moment).

Use case for me with such mini hosts is mostly when I just want to test or play with a single plugin, and I can't be arsed to plug in my MIDI keyboard and/or monitors.

If using your QWERTY might be a good idea to grab Virtual MIDI Controller LE...it installs a MIDI port so all ur sequencers, DAWs & crap thinks it's an actual MIDI Keyboard...Well, it IS, it just uses the QWERTY. i've just found it to be a better 'quality' implementation as for all the crap that hooks QWERTY there are various 'qualities'...Many quite shitty...

For instance using Protrekkr as it is I cannot record chords to multiple notes on any track but...BUTT! Using VMC I CAN record chords in such a manner...

Anyways GO HERE-

http://www.soundcosoftware.com/vmcle.html

it's FREE version...DO IT...DO IT!!!

Thanks, but, I use QWERTZ, and, having to fiddle with a virtual midi cable just to play is a bit... hmm... tedious.

Savihost allows to just use my keyboard to play, and it even supports QWERTZ. Would be awesome if Nanohost did. Maybe a feature for a future update?

Nice one cheers! Usefull for tootling around with the MIDI geetar.

The recording thing is a good idea, would be nice to have the option to record the midi as well. :D

Just as a heads up if I select "Zoom Interface" it changes the resolution of my monitor.

So it's not really changing the size of the plugin only the monitor resolution so everything else running changes its size as well. It does change back to the default resolution when the app is closed.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”