Korg Collection 3 MS-20 vs Arturia V Collection MS-20 V

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
KORG Collection

I think for me getting Diva and forgetting everything else would be the way to go haha. I definitely do not want 30 different synth plugins on my system. Just 3-5 tops are fine for me. I still use NI Massive & Sylenth1. I think I'll just get Diva next and then eventually Omnisphere and Kontakt with some nice instrument libraries. Although I would also consider Synapse Audio Obesession. I demo'd that recently and it sounds unbelievably good.
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

Diva is a nice concept. But, frankly, if I want an emulation, I want the exact architecture as well, not just put modules together, and wildly mix them. Especially when there's always something missing which is present in the specific synth.

I totally understand when people view that differently though.

chk071 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 7:04 pm Diva is a nice concept. But, frankly, if I want an emulation, I want the exact architecture as well, not just put modules together, and wildly mix them. Especially when there's always something missing which is present in the specific synth.

I totally understand when people view that differently though.
Yeah, for me it's less about emulating a particular synth, but getting that synthwave/retrowave or 80s/90s synth sound vibe, that todays wavetable synths sound nothing like. If any synth can capture that sound or produce that kind of vibe, I'd probably like it.
Ableton Live | Numark Party Mix II | Arturia MINILAB 3

chk071 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:16 pm Seriously, what happened to Arturia? The MS-20 appears to me as if they said "Ok guys. No more messing around. Let's unleash the beast!". Seriously. :) It's as if they upped their analog modelling department a level from one day to the other. It's day/night to their other emus. IMO. YMMV.
Actually a lot of their recent emulations have been of very high quality. The issue is that V Collection still includes a lot of older releases (10+ years old) where they just updated the GUI/patch browser, so people have an overly negative perception of the entire collection. But everything added or rewritten since about V Collection 6 has been really good, and the rewrite of several extremely dated emulations in V8 and V9 (like the Jupiter and CS80 from around 2007) means the gap is starting to close.

I posted the bug, curious what they have to say about it

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=109516.0
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

chk071 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 1:22 pm

I always thought the Korg softie lacks a lot of body and the filter doesn't scream nearly as much as on the hardware as well. The MS-20 sound kind of grew on me with the time (actually, it's quite a fat sounding synth. Not too much into other Korgs, but, the MS-20 is quite nice). I listened to a lot of sound demos, and, if I'm not totally mistaken, the Arturia is not that bad, and sounds a lot in that direction.
The Arturia sounds really gnarly and scream and along with the sequencer sounds really great.

What I really like about are the mid to low type sounds. Just sounds real and classic and present. Lovely thick rounded sounds.

They did a great job on it.

Well I had the Korg vst and it sounded NOTHING like the original, more like a cheap-y softsynth with a cool character in the oscillators. I have a K2 and while I didn't compared side by side, the Arturia sounds quite real. The only thing I noticed was the overdrive was not as good, going self oscillation too quickly (patching the output into the ESP input and back in the EXT IN).

_leras wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:06 am For me the Arturia is the best of the VST. Closest to the hardware and having the SQ-10 included - looks really great.

The Korg sounds quite soft synthy to me and not so present.

The MS 20 is Diva is nice, but doesn't have the bite or also quite so much presence. Electric Himalaya did a nice sound set for this. It's just a bit too soft and tame for me.

The hardware still has an edge though. And the B K2 not quite up to the Korg MS 20 FS.
I totally agree. And i have them all. Except the K2 which has more of a moogy filter sound; Behringer didn t get the filter(s) quite right.

chk071 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:16 pm Seriously, what happened to Arturia? The MS-20 appears to me as if they said "Ok guys. No more messing around. Let's unleash the beast!". Seriously. :) It's as if they upped their analog modelling department a level from one day to the other. It's day/night to their other emus. IMO. YMMV.

It's not only the absolutely hilariously screaming filter (which has quite a nice resonant behavior as well, very smooth, very pleasant), but, it also seems like they finally got the bottom end right.
The Korg MS-20 is old, and doesn't really sound like the original hardware, but for the cpu it is great, so if efficiency is a high priority then it's still a good choice. But for sound...

The Arturia MS-20 V is the first synth by them that I would be happy using in my productions (edit: there may be more they have done recently that are also good but i have’t tried them yet), and I'd like it even more if the oscillators weren't quite so dull. I asked them about this and they did match them to their old mk1, which obviously I don't have access to, but my mk2 oscillators, which are the same circuit, are much brighter and more useful in my opinion, but it is a matter of taste and they decided to go with a duller sounding oscillator.

Most importantly they have done a decent job on the filters, they actually sound like the hardware, but that cpu is getting hit a bit. The Arturia mono mk1 filter takes over twice the cpu as the stereo mk1 model I did in The Drop. I did my MS-20 mk1 model around 8 years ago now, so it's great some other companies are catching up, even if they are taking x2 (mono) to x4 (stereo) the cpu!
Last edited by andy-cytomic on Mon May 23, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

andy-cytomic wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 5:38 am

It's not only the absolutely hilariously screaming filter (which has quite a nice resonant behavior as well, very smooth, very pleasant), but, it also seems like they finally got the bottom end right.
The Korg MS-20 is old, and doesn't really sound like the original hardware, but for the cpu it is great, so if efficiency is a high priority then it's still a good choice. But for sound...

The Arturia MS-20 V is the first synth by them that I would be happy using in my productions, and I'd like it even more if the oscillators weren't quite so dull. I asked them about this and they did match them to their old mk1, which obviously I don't have access to, but my mk2 oscillators, which are the same circuit, are much brighter and more useful in my opinion, but it is a matter of taste and they decided to go with a duller sounding oscillator.

Most importantly they have done a decent job on the filters, they actually sound like the hardware, but that cpu is getting hit a bit. The Arturia mono mk1 filter takes over twice the cpu as the stereo mk1 model I did in The Drop. I did my MS-20 mk1 model around 8 years ago now, so it's great some other companies are catching up, even if they are taking x2 (mono) to x4 (stereo) the cpu!
That's some cool insight, I do think there are some other Arturia plugins that sound really good though. I though the Synthi sounded very thick. What do you think about that?

Biome_Digital wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:10 am That's some cool insight, I do think there are some other Arturia plugins that sound really good though. I though the Synthi sounded very thick. What do you think about that?
Yes, to be fair this is the first Arturia software synth I've bothered testing in quite a while - mainly because I've got the hardware in my studio to compare directly against. Hopefully some of their other recent releases are good as well. I have not tested their Synthi, and I don't have one in the studio to compare against, so I can't really comment on it, but trust your ears, if you like it then use it!
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

The Arturia MS-20 V is the first synth by them that I would be happy using in my productions, and I'd like it even more if the oscillators weren't quite so dull.
Hehe, I noticed that too. I first though there was filter keytracking applied, but, nope.

Maybe they do mk1 and mk2 oscillators in a future update. ;)

andy-cytomic wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:12 am
Biome_Digital wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:10 am That's some cool insight, I do think there are some other Arturia plugins that sound really good though. I though the Synthi sounded very thick. What do you think about that?
Yes, to be fair this is the first Arturia software synth I've bothered testing in quite a while - mainly because I've got the hardware in my studio to compare directly against. Hopefully some of their other recent releases are good as well. I have not tested their Synthi, and I don't have one in the studio to compare against, so I can't really comment on it, but trust your ears, if you like it then use it!
Cool. :tu: I don't know how any of them compare to the hardware, but I do believe Arturia's emulations in recent years are some of the best. Definitely worth checking out their newer releases. :)

The Arturia MS-20 V is the first synth by them that I would be happy using in my productions (edit: there may be more they have done recently that are also good but i have’t tried them yet), and I'd like it even more if the oscillators weren't quite so dull. I asked them about this and they did match them to their old mk1, which obviously I don't have access to, but my mk2 oscillators, which are the same circuit, are much brighter and more useful in my opinion, but it is a matter of taste and they decided to go with a duller sounding oscillator.

I totally agree! The filters sound good but the oscillators are very dull. I find that the oscillators are dull on many of their emulations though, like the CS-80 as well. I really wish they would brighten them.

Has anyone encountered Software Pass v1.1.10 launching without remembering your email address and PW....now presenting a "Login to KORG ID" prompt? Checking "Remember Me" does nothing. Not that much different than using the KORG ID website directly, other than the convenience of letting you know if an update is available.
On a number of Macs

Return to “Instruments”