Kit Creator generates MPC, Ableton Live, TAL-Drum, Speedrum, Impact XT, Sitala Kits + more (MAC/WIN)

Official support for: hgsounds.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kit Creator

I'll use this as a development thread as development continues.

Kit Creator is a program for Windows/Mac that automatically generates Sample Kits of 16 samples for MPCs and Ableton Live. You can drop up to 16 Directories that contain samples and assign which Pads they will be used for. If more than one directory is assigned to the same Pad, one of the directories will be randomly selected. It also randomises each Pad’s Volume, Pan and Release Time with a user defined min/max range.

https://youtu.be/d7IT0YHqgH8

Features:
  • Up to 16 Directories can be added via drag & drop which are then scanned recursively.
  • Each Directory can be assigned to any or even all pads.
  • Each directory has its sample order randomised until all have been used, and then they are randomised again.
  • Creates a specific number of presets or All mode generates until every sample has been used at least once, all kits will always contain 16 unique samples.
  • Creates a random name randomised for a database of 30,000 words.
  • Uses template files for the source preset so you can replace with your own so you can have control over every setting beyond what Kit creator changes.
  • Exports directly to Ableton Live’s user directories so presets are immediately available.
  • Supports 64-bit Windows and 64-bit Apple M1/Intel.
  • Includes PDF manual.
  • Requirements: 64-bit Windows or 64-bit Mac (10.13 or later). Mac is Universal Binaryand so natively supports M1 or intel.

NOTE: I was made aware of Kitmaker a couple of weeks ago & bought it to try out, it's good at what it does, but not what I had in mind. I'm not planning on having any grouping such as BD, SN etc which it excels at, my vision was to have control over a bunch of folders & precisely where they are mapped. In fact once I have v1.0 released it will be a complimentary program as you will be able to use my Volume, Pan & Release randomizers on directories of existing presets.

Here's a video of the kits made for analog drums in the early stages of development:

https://youtu.be/7XmJ0HKkC_8

Analog Drums is available and also comes with 2 Kontakt scripted instruments to use the samples.

https://hgsounds.com/product/analog-d...

Hey Andy, looks excellent! Love the idea. As always with your stuff, very inventive, and it's great to see your creativity break outside the kontakt sandbox!

Deffo picking these up.
I'll have a go at this early next week...

Thanks Eanna!

Yeah, it’s really really nice to have a break from Kontakt, I’m hoping to sell enough this weekend to continue working on it continuously, otherwise I’ll have to make a Kontakt instrument & get back to it at the start of next month. It’s useful for anyone who owns MPC or Live and samples so should be a wider base than Kontakt, although I’m not sure how many in that category are on my mailing list :)

I’m keen to just plough on with it really so fingers crossed!

I’m pretty pleased with the video as well, I put up one without any audio and got shamed by my mate, so spent the last couple of days finding a way of working on the Mac and improving my video making skills (which are none). actually found Davinci Resolve and it’s actually enjoyable to use, usually video editing software winds me up immediately :)

Fair play 👍

Yeah the video works well! Heard great stuff about DaVinci Resolve. Great having the voice over on this..

I expect alot on your email list are on Ableton. And likely more than you might expect on mpc..

Looking forward to having a spin with it!

Really finding inspiration from this superb tool. Great way to construct kits and sound groups for export in multiple formats. Parameter settings are a great way to impose restraints yet retain randomness. So easy to use, and efficient too. It's one of those tools that facilitates creativity! Great work Andy!

Will you be adding Teenage Engineering OP-1 Field to it?
…please? :)

Also, I downloaded the demo for MPC and the audio previews don’t work, is that something that will be added?

Great work!

Yeah, MPC audio previews aren’t implemented, it’s definitely something I’d like to add at some point but that’s quite a chunk of work as it would require building a sequencer to record a sample. As ever it all depends on development time I can fund, so far it’s been an enormous amount of hours to get to this point & a few engine redesigns. It’s been an enjoyable journey though.

Do you have any info on the OP-1 field preset format & an example preset? If it’s xml, then I can most likely support it as an output, but it’s harder working on a format for something I don’t have as it needs someone dedicated to testing.

Astralp wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:06 pm Yeah, MPC audio previews aren’t implemented, it’s definitely something I’d like to add at some point but that’s quite a chunk of work as it would require building a sequencer to record a sample. As ever it all depends on development time I can fund, so far it’s been an enormous amount of hours to get to this point & a few engine redesigns. It’s been an enjoyable journey though.

Do you have any info on the OP-1 field preset format & an example preset? If it’s xml, then I can most likely support it as an output, but it’s harder working on a format for something I don’t have as it needs someone dedicated to testing.
I don’t really know much about the format, I know xfer made a free op-1 kit maker type of thing that’s on xfers site:
https://xferrecords.com/freeware

Maybe that could give you the insight.

Well I had a quick look at the Xfer app & it just seems to join audio files together & export to aif. In wave lab I can’t see any headers that are visible but presumably there must be some meta info assigning to keys. Kit Creator does export to WAV with Meta CUE markers, which basically is the same idea & maybe the OPS can use them. The files might need to be a specific kHz, the Octatrack Export does the same thing but resamples the WAV to 44.1 for compatibility so maybe try that one from the demo files. I’d be interested to know if it works, if it does it would be very easy to add as a dedicated export, but maybe it only responds to its own specific meta data, I don’t ever use aif as the WAV headers are towards standardised now.

Anyway let me know if you try it out. I’m in in the middle of adding choke group support atm, so I’ll spend some more time looking later on. It also occurred that I could actually just use that same process to generate a chain of samples for the MPC mp3 preview. Not as good as a demo rhythm but at least it would be something in the meantime.

How does it work when i'm adding folders of samples, can i add a folder that contains sub folders of kicks, snares etc or do i have to seperate them?

I’m 99% sure atm it’s recursive & so includes all sub folders, but having the option per folder slot is on my todo list. I’ll check in a bit as I’ve been working with single folders for a while whilst testing

Astralp wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:37 pm I’m 99% sure atm it’s recursive & so includes all sub folders, but having the option per folder slot is on my todo list. I’ll check in a bit as I’ve been working with single folders for a while whilst testing
I'm close to buying it, I have so any sample packs...

If this can sift through them and place them on the standard MPC pads, like the MPC expansions i'd be made up! Just confirming it would indeed place the samples in that format?

The short answer is yes, it will make presets like the expansions from the folders you give it.

You add up to 16 folders, any samples in those folders are then available for placement, you can then assign each of these folders to any of the 16 pads and they will become candidates for placement. you can then select how many presets you want to make, or make ALL so that every sample is used once, or NO REPEATS which will stop as soon as a sample is about to be used for a second time.

This weekend I’ve just added support for up to 128 Pads, as far as assignments they are generated in groups of 16 and so use the same assignments, essentially a collection of 16 Pad presets. But bear in mind the estimator which estimates how many presets all will create still assumes 16 for the minute, I haven’t updated it to take the new code into account yet.

I’m working intensively on it atm to get to v1.0, it’s very close now, but there are frequent updates as it’s going along. I’m working on adding choke groups today. If you find any bugs, they will get fixed within a few hours usually if I’m awake.

Incidentally the manual is here, it’s more or less up to date, nit sure if I uploaded the absolute latest but it’s very recent:

https://hgsounds.com/wp-content/uploads ... Manual.pdf

Kit Creator v0.998 is released

Highlights:
  • Choke Groups
  • MPC Previews in the form of a sample chain in Ogg Vorbis format. I’ve updated the demo Kits with some previews.
  • Recursive scan is now an option per folder.
  • Folders panel is starting to look better now, the per folder options are quite interesting because you can have many folders assigned to a pad & so the pad will only get the parameters such as semitone offset if the folder the sample is from has the setting applied.

Full list of changes:

https://hgsounds.com/news/kit-creator-u ... to-v0-998/

Return to “Homegrown Sounds”