Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave - New multi-timbral PPG-style wavetable Synthesizer in the works

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

A new Synthesizer popped up on Instagram.

Groove Synthesis is working on 3rd Wave, a new multi-timbral PPG-style wavetable Synthesizer. So far we know it's 4x multi-timbral, 24 voices, 3 wavetable oscillators, 2 analog filters (SVF and Ladder lowpass), and more.

Groove Synthesis 3rd Wave teaser enw.001.jpg
https://www.synthanatomy.com/2022/05/gr ... ptics.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Synth Anatomy
http://www.synthanatomy.com
Sound Design and Software / IOS Synthesizer Videochannel

Someone pointed out that in the short demo that it appeared to have polyphonic aftertouch. That makes it an instant buy for me, as I’ve been looking for something to replace my GEM S2. It’s awesome, but having something with a synth engine that I’d use would be great.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If it captures the tone of the original, it will be a must buy for me.

What seemed like PolyAT could have also just been a regular keyboard split. Be awesome if it had PolyAT though! I guess minimum $5K cost.

zerocrossing wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:03 pm Someone pointed out that in the short demo that it appeared to have polyphonic aftertouch. That makes it an instant buy for me, as I’ve been looking for something to replace my GEM S2. It’s awesome, but having something with a synth engine that I’d use would be great.
That's cool that the GEM S2 has polyAT. I may need to get one to control my JD-XA. The JD-XA receives polyAT but its own keyboard doesn't do it.

Is that more accurate sounding than the Waldorf M?

Uncle E wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 2:36 am Is that more accurate sounding than the Waldorf M?
No, it sounds like a better version of the Waldorf PPG 3.V plugin and nothing like an original PPG in terms of grit and classic analog filters. The Waldorf M (and especially the original Waldorf MicroWave) are in a totally different class from what I just heard in that demo.

I think you'd be better off buying an Iridium keyboard than the 3rd Wave. Or just get a Waldorf MicroWave Xt.

How would you rank M, Quantum, Iridium, Microwave 1, and Microwave XT?

Microwave 1 Rev A is the closest you can get to a real PPG.
This 3rd Wave doesn't sound nothing like it.

How does M compare with Microwave 1 Rev A?

Man I wish Wolfgang had released some more hardware before retiring.

Uncle E wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:47 am How does M compare with Microwave 1 Rev A?
The M is modern sounding and it doesn't have that distinctive dark grainy sound the Microwave I has.
There is a difference between the Rev A and Rev B and the difference between the M and Rev A is obviously much bigger than that
It's really a matter of preference, but I like the MW 1 and XT and as far as the modern Waldorfs I love the Quantum. Those three cover all my Waldorf / PPG needs.

If I could only have one Waldorf I'd probably pick an M because of it doing a little bit of everything and all of the modern functions and portability.

Uncle E wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 4:47 am How does M compare with Microwave 1 Rev A?
The M is definitely the closest thing you'll find to the sound of a classic MicroWave I Rev A. But IMO, the new analog filters in the M sound way more "polite" than the CEM filter in the original MicroWave. Basically, the M's filters sound "modern analog" whereas the MicroWave filters sound like what you would expect in a 30 year old synth.
Last edited by OllieBoi on Sat May 28, 2022 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

It's not surprising but all the nimrods on Gearspace are going ape shit for this 3rd Wave (more like third rate) synth. Saying it sounds incredible and amazing.

I have over 20 hardware synths so I tend to get excited by a new flagship hardware synth. But from what I heard in this intro video, the 3rd Wave doesn't sound any better than a Waldorf Iridium (which sounds good but not mind blowing).

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”