NEW HOST - Steinberg's VST live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm Camelot looks great, except for one thing - no MIDI so you can't use it as a sequencer, just a multi-track audio player.

Last night I posted a question on teh Steinberg forum, and I know it went through because I edited out a coupleof typos after it published, but this morning there is no sign of it. I dunno what's going on but that seems very strange.

Hi Bones, do you mean this thread? :tu:
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/can-vst- ... ngs/791884

f**k me! I looked everywhere for it this morning and it wasn't there, I swear. After all, there's still only one page of topics in the VST Live forum.
clevername37 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:52 amWhat's your question?
S'all good now, thanks. I'm not sure what was going on before. You can't get it to play all your songs, in order, so it's of no use to me. You also need to export your projects specifically for VST Live, which presumably means you need to be on Cubase 12, which would make it a very expensive proposition for me. It's not worth the hassle or expense.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm Last night I posted a question on teh Steinberg forum, and I know it went through because I edited out a coupleof typos after it published, but this morning there is no sign of it. I dunno what's going on but that seems very strange.
It's still there Bones - I read your question last night and it is right there still :)

So Steinberg is releasing new app and it is NOT Apple M silicone native..?!
Cubase Pro is and so is Wavelab…
WTF?!
Last edited by Atlatnesiti on Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:36 pm Camelot looks great, except for one thing - no MIDI so you can't use it as a sequencer, just a multi-track audio player.
Gig Performer has a multitrack MIDI file player - you can load multiple SMF files, etc

Yeah, I looked at that a while ago but there was soemthing that didn't work for us. I can't remember what but I didn't spend long looking at it. Ideally I want something I can use for everything, I don't want to have one application for songwriting and production work and another for gigging. I think Studio One still comes closest to that for us because I can at least load the whole set up before a gig, then I only have to stop playback, select the next song and press play again.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:36 pm So Steinberg is releasing new app and it is NOT Apple M silicone native..?!
Cubase Pro is and so is Wavelab…
WTF?!
Yes it is.

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:21 am f**k me! I looked everywhere for it this morning and it wasn't there, I swear. After all, there's still only one page of topics in the VST Live forum.
clevername37 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:52 amWhat's your question?
S'all good now, thanks. I'm not sure what was going on before. You can't get it to play all your songs, in order, so it's of no use to me. You also need to export your projects specifically for VST Live, which presumably means you need to be on Cubase 12, which would make it a very expensive proposition for me. It's not worth the hassle or expense.
Do you have Cubase, and if so, what version?

BONES wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 am Yeah, I looked at that a while ago but there was soemthing that didn't work for us. I can't remember what but I didn't spend long looking at it. Ideally I want something I can use for everything, I don't want to have one application for songwriting and production work and another for gigging. I think Studio One still comes closest to that for us because I can at least load the whole set up before a gig, then I only have to stop playback, select the next song and press play again.
I suppose it depends on your needs. My sense is a single product for both purposes will have too many compromises.

For me, the tools needed for song writing and production are completely different than what is needed for live performance, at least if one is doing anything more than simple playback. If the existing live performance products had done what we needed for touring, we wouldn't have bothered inventing Gig Performer.

I want to be able to completely separate the role as a musician (at which I'm good) from the role of a recording/production engineer (at which I'm terrible) so I'll use GP to create my sounds and setups for live performance and I'll just connect it to a DAW (e.g, Logic or Digital Performer) if I want to record my performance. Then the DAW gets used just for mixing/mastering and is not involved at all in the sound design or performance aspects beyond EQ/compression etc. so as to fit into the mix.

clevername37 wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:52 amDo you have Cubase, and if so, what version?
I'm on v10, my bandmate is on 10.5. There has been nothing in later updates worth paying for.
deskew wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:31 pmI suppose it depends on your needs. My sense is a single product for both purposes will have too many compromises.
It would depend on the focus, Every DAW is an order of magntiude more complicated than I need it to be. They are all full of features I don't need and will never use. I could very easily work in Studio One Prime, the free version, and not feel like I was missing anything over S1 Professional, except maybe a few effects that are easily replaced with 3rd part plugins. In fact, when v6 drops, I could easily end up on Prime if the upgrade price is too steep and/or it doesn't have any worthwhile improvements.
For me, the tools needed for song writing and production are completely different than what is needed for live performance, at least if one is doing anything more than simple playback.
"Simple playback" with access to tracks via MIDI, is exactly what I need, nothing more. I want to be able to press play at the start of the set and not have to so much as look at my computer again until we pack up after the show. Any further interaction would be via MIDI controller(s).
If the existing live performance products had done what we needed for touring, we wouldn't have bothered inventing Gig Performer.
Interestingly, I really don't understand the features offered by any of those products I have seen. When I'm on stage I am singing and playing keys, with the computer providing the backing track. Each song contains everything I need so, to me, the only missing feature in any DAW is the ability to go from song to song to song automatically. One little feature that would alow me to use the countless hundreds of hours of work I've already done on every song without any duplication of effort. A whole separate application that forces me to have to rebuild each and every song is just stupid.
I want to be able to completely separate the role as a musician (at which I'm good) from the role of a recording/production engineer (at which I'm terrible) so I'll use GP to create my sounds and setups for live performance and I'll just connect it to a DAW (e.g, Logic or Digital Performer) if I want to record my performance.
I don't consider myself a musician at all. I'm a performaer and part of my performance is playing some basic synth parts but I'm really terrible at it because I don't practice any more than I absolutely have to. I also don't see the process as a number of discrete steps, like sound design, arrangement, mixing, mastering. To me it is all on a single continuum and it comes together very organically. Sound design, in particular, isn't asomething I even see a need to identify, it just happens as you build a song. Therefore doing everything in one application makes it easier to move back and forth and gives me maximum flexibiity throughout the process.

It only took steinberg 20 years to release a successor to v-stack , that was a nice vst host , anyone remember ?
Curious how well this new host will accept and process dense amount of midi data from HW seq ( cirklon 2)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am
I don't consider myself a musician at all. I'm a performer
I'm not quite sure exactly how you can be a (music-related) performer without actually being a musician. That said, live performance hosts are specifically designed for performers as opposed to DAWs where the focus is certainly more for creation/recording and production.
BONES wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am Therefore doing everything in one application makes it easier to move back and forth and gives me maximum flexibility throughout the process.
Except there really isn't a single application that can do everything without compromises...in any domain, never mind the music world. It's a bit like noting that while you can create formulas with a word processor and write text and paragraphs with a spreadsheet program, they really have separate purposes and have different goals. If you need text, paragraphs and tables with formulas, you need to use both applications.
BONES wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am Interestingly, I really don't understand the features offered by any of those products I have seen
Well, perhaps it's worth investing a little time to understand how those features might help you.
BONES wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am so, to me, the only missing feature in any DAW is the ability to go from song to song to song automatically
...which is something a live performance host will let you do.
BONES wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am I want to be able to press play at the start of the set and not have to so much as look at my computer again until we pack up after the show. Any further interaction would be via MIDI controller(s)
Any decent live performance host will let you "press play" from your MIDI controller so other than booting up your computer and perhaps automatically starting the plugin host, you can just leave the computer in your rack if you want.

Can anybody explain to me with simple words what this software is supposed to be for?
It's not that the Band is playing live through VST-Live, or do they?
When they don't why is it suggesting "Live"?
Is it to Host and play with your Amp-Sims, for example? So what you need are multiple VST-Live Software PC's for recording and all other different related Tasks?
Or is it simply about the GUI and to easily reach different elements fast?
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

It basically works the same way a big workstation synth, like a Yamaha Motif, might work for a keyboard player in a band. So it ensures you have the right VSTi loaded and the right patch selected for the next song and stuff like that. It's pretty similar to Studio One's Show Page, only with a lot more features.
deskew wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:10 amI'm not quite sure exactly how you can be a (music-related) performer without actually being a musician.
How many vocalists play an instrument? (Cowbells and tambourines don't count.)
Well, perhaps it's worth investing a little time to understand how those features might help you.
Why would you think I haven't? I've been doing this for 40 years, I think I have a handle on what I need on stage, thanks.
...which is something a live performance host will let you do.
Ah, so it's you who needs to do his research. VST Live will absolutely NOT let me do that. They are promising it in an update but, right now, it's a no-go. Even if they put it in, it will still be a no-go because I can't just load my Cubase projects in and use them, so it's way more effort than it's worth. That's why I want it in my DAW, where I have already done all the work.
Any decent live performance host will let you "press play" from your MIDI controller
First off, to qualify as "decent", any live performance host will need to allow me to load our songs without having to translate them or export them in a different format. It makes no sense at all to have one host for production and another for the stage, it just creates too much extra work for too little benefit. As for transport, that will only work if your MIDI controller has transport controls. Not all do. In fact, of the dozen or so I might want to use on stage, only my Roli Control Block and Line6 KB37 have them (and I haven't used the KB37 in about 15 years, I reckon).

BONES wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:56 am When I'm on stage I am singing and playing keys, with the computer providing the backing track. Each song contains everything I need so, to me, the only missing feature in any DAW is the ability to go from song to song to song automatically. One little feature that would alow me to use the countless hundreds of hours of work I've already done on every song without any duplication of effort. A whole separate application that forces me to have to rebuild each and every song is just stupid.
Funny, makes me wonder. Digital Performer can do just that. The issue with DP is it's plagued with being stable on some systems and a total mess on others, i.e. some sorts of plugin or driver conflicts can hose some Windows setups. There's a DP Windows webinar this Friday I want to attend to see if MOTU have solutions, or awareness about certain system setups being unstable on Windows.
Beyond that, DP can load songs into songs as Sequence Chunks, which can be tied together to play after each other via start and end time markers. The nice part about this to me is in most other DAWs this is done in a single timeline, you have to add in tempo changes etc. and it's a huge mess, with DP it switches to the next Sequences timeline etc. plus because of this, you can work on a song in it's own Project, flatten to audio the things you aren't playing live, save that as a Sequence Chunk, then import just that Chunk into the live performance DP Project without having to drag audio into a single timeline etc.

VST Live looks pretty cool, but I agree, it would make total sense to have the ability in Cubase to "Export as VST Live set", plus I really want all hosts like this to also work as VSTi's themselves for various reasons. Unify gets a nod there, though it has no audio file playback to speak of.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”