Why no DP/4 emulation?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Phaser-DDL

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
jakke wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:57 pm
kobal wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:48 pm can you post a loop dry and one with the phazer on to try to match it
houseloop_dry.mp3 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mhaeeKZru6Gv7-aUZVLvYLNA9cbrPz0g/view?usp=sharing)
houseloop_phaser-ddl.mp3 (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jbYH0SwisfBIOHJ3rINahEJNH69yhDMu/view?usp=sharing)

I put the whole track through the effect with a dry/wet mix of about 40%. As a plot twist it's not actually the DP/4 but a VST/Reason RE of the phaser which I and a couple of other guys have been working on. I'll post more when there is more news.
Found this through Google just now and I just wanted to tell you I have waiting for a VST plugin on the DP-series phaser for nearly a decade now (seriously). That clip is a regular VST effect? This is extremely, if not perfectly accurate to the original hardware. Great job :love:
I've had a (lovely) DP2 for a while now, but as I've migrated more to software production I haven't had a chance to break it out for anything - but I miss using it in FL/Ableton. As a result, I'm incredibly excited for the release of this plugin. Do you have an ETA of when this plugin should be released? :D

bhvxt98 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:11 pm Found this through Google just now and I just wanted to tell you I have waiting for a VST plugin on the DP-series phaser for nearly a decade now (seriously). That clip is a regular VST effect? This is extremely, if not perfectly accurate to the original hardware. Great job :love:
I've had a (lovely) DP2 for a while now, but as I've migrated more to software production I haven't had a chance to break it out for anything - but I miss using it in FL/Ableton. As a result, I'm incredibly excited for the release of this plugin. Do you have an ETA of when this plugin should be released? :D
Thanks! It is indeed a standard VST3 in the clip. Originally we developed it as a Rack Extension for Reason (because that's what I'm more familiar with), but later we also built a VST version.

I've had two DP/4s since 2008 just because of the phaser. The first one died and I didn't have the know-how or patience to fix it. I've always wanted a software version myself too, and even I thought it might not ever happen, but luckily here we are.

I'm not sure when exactly the plugin will be released, but my personal target is ASAP. I'll definitely keep this thread informed about that.

I recently bought DP2 and there's lots of hum, does anyone know how to solve this problem?

jakke wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:55 pm
bhvxt98 wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:11 pm Found this through Google just now and I just wanted to tell you I have waiting for a VST plugin on the DP-series phaser for nearly a decade now (seriously). That clip is a regular VST effect? This is extremely, if not perfectly accurate to the original hardware. Great job :love:
Thanks! It is indeed a standard VST3 in the clip. Originally we developed it as a Rack Extension for Reason (because that's what I'm more familiar with), but later we also built a VST version.

I've had two DP/4s since 2008 just because of the phaser. The first one died and I didn't have the know-how or patience to fix it. I've always wanted a software version myself too, and even I thought it might not ever happen, but luckily here we are.

I'm not sure when exactly the plugin will be released, but my personal target is ASAP. I'll definitely keep this thread informed about that.
Same story here. That's why I got a DP2, was just for the phaser. There's a lot of nice effects in it beyond that, but the phaser is iconic; I bought mine because of its usage by Daft Punk/Crydamoure and Alan Braxe/Fred Falke 8) The only issue with mine is that its battery is on the way out... but I've had it for years and it hasn't gone out on me yet. I haven't turned it on in a while though so maybe the battery's drained by now :P

If there's anything else you need to do before release, by all means feel free to take your time! The fact you have successfully managed to create a near perfect emulation of the original phaser is already exciting enough as is. I'll be awaiting the release happily :D
iloveplugins2 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:38 am I recently bought DP2 and there's lots of hum, does anyone know how to solve this problem?
I believe this is a common issue with the DP units, is their somewhat noisy nature. It's been a while since I bothered to research them though so there's probably a way to fix it in the mix by now.

Yamaha's TX81z are usually noisy as well but you can put a "Mu-Metal Can" around the transformer to isolate the hum, I suppose you could see if this box has the same issue.

I believe this is a common issue with the DP units, is their somewhat noisy nature. It's been a while since I bothered to research them though so there's probably a way to fix it in the mix by now.
[/quote]

The thing is mine only hums most of the time. Sometimes it's perfectly fine. But when it hums it is incredibly loud and unusable, even with the best denoise plugin. I don't think the problem is with the unit, but I don't know what could be causing this. The waveform of the hum is very triangular, so maybe someone knows what that means.

With regards to the phaser.

If not using Mac, on MixMaxtrix there is one pretty flexible (disclaime, I'm the dev). Just naming it becase SupaPhaser was mentioned.
https://github.com/RafaGago/artv-audio/ ... tag/v1.5.0

On the Virus DSP56300 emulator there is the Access Virus phaser too.
https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/

As the DP/4 is digital, its passer could be theoretically 100% emulated if knowing the exact algorithm.

@jakke Sounds awesome... :)
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

The phaser-ddl algo topology is very unique because of the left channel delay output feeding back both the Left channel input phaser block and the right output.
So the right channel phasing position is always a "delay time" forward to the Left channel.
Capture d’écran 2022-06-24 à 04.14.12.png
This is what creates the "stepped" almost sample&hold effect that everybody likes on this unit.
Daft Punk used the Key Funk Phase preset as it is on Fresh, stardust vocals, and a lot more...

I have both the dp4 and dp/pro. the dp/pro "liquid phase" preset is super cool too, it's different but has the ensoniq vibe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

dyrec wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:16 am The phaser-ddl algo topology is very unique because of the left channel delay output feeding back both the Left channel input phaser block and the right output.
So the right channel phasing position is always a "delay time" forward to the Left channel.

Capture d’écran 2022-06-24 à 04.14.12.png

This is what creates the "stepped" almost sample&hold effect that everybody likes on this unit.
Daft Punk used the Key Funk Phase preset as it is on Fresh, stardust vocals, and a lot more...

I have both the dp4 and dp/pro. the dp/pro "liquid phase" preset is super cool too, it's different but has the ensoniq vibe.
That is odd indeed, phasers typically(analog world) don't have straight delay(linear in respect to time), but use allpass filters, this seems to use both, so more a phaser/flanger combo.

Excellent stuff jakke - it sounds remarkably similar - and good luck with the (remaining) development.

jakke wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:55 pm

Sounds great. Looking forward to the release :tu:

jakke wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:57 pm
kobal wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:48 pm can you post a loop dry and one with the phazer on to try to match it
houseloop_dry.mp3
houseloop_phaser-ddl.mp3

I put the whole track through the effect with a dry/wet mix of about 40%. As a plot twist it's not actually the DP/4 but a VST/Reason RE of the phaser which I and a couple of other guys have been working on. I'll post more when there is more news.
I recorded your sample with my DP4 running the famous KeyFunkPhaze preset in the dual stereo Config mode

The mixdown:

http://kvr.dyrec.com/DP4KeyFunkPhaser.mp3

The return FX print only:
http://kvr.dyrec.com/DP4OUT1-2.mp3

You can clearly hear the delay on the right side creating the Sample&Hold stepped effect.

iloveplugins2 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:38 am I recently bought DP2 and there's lots of hum, does anyone know how to solve this problem?
Could be capacitors

Any news on the development?

Return to “Effects”