NEW HOST - Steinberg's VST live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:58 pm
You don't play live, do you? The headline act gets an engineer, usually we only get a decent soundcheck if we get to the venue first. All the FoH guy gets is a stereo mix so his solution would be to EQ the shit out of it until there is no power left in the mix.
yes I do.
- there's a lot of things on the sound check that are important to set up and take precedence over my fiddling with a stupid synth - drumset setup, vocals, playback channels, because i don't send a stereo mix for playback but rather a few stems. (Channels are cheap, time is precious)
- I pay my own engineer because i need someone i can rely on so i can focus on performance
- my playback tracks are balanced from the get go
- usually the venue already has room correction in place so balanced tracks generally play OK anywhere - at least as good as they can for the venue.

There's zero scenarios i can think of where i would be fixing room issues with fiddling on the synth source. ZERO.

And yet this morning you had no trouble thinking of one. Interestingly, it is because "time is precious" that I only send a stereo mix to the FoH, there is simply no time to be futzing about during soundcheck trying to get the levels right. Having all that done and ready means we can run through a few songs, if we're lucky, instead of just half a song.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

My stems are mixed. Engineer turns fader to unity and it works, then has control if they need it.

Not rocket science

pdxindy wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:28 am
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 am
teilo wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:20 am
Atlatnesiti wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:36 pm So Steinberg is releasing new app and it is NOT Apple M silicone native..?!
Cubase Pro is and so is Wavelab…
WTF?!
Yes it is.
It says that the "Rosetta2 App" is required.
Might just be for the installer. Some M1 native apps need Rosetta for installation.
Interesting that so many members of these forums jump into conclusions without using apps they referring to. What a joke.
Bought this app on release day, it was and still is intel only.
https://forums.steinberg.net/t/vst-live ... ini/792268
Last edited by Atlatnesiti on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BONES wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:59 am Yeah, that's usually the obvious thing but it's easy to get stuck in a rut sometimes and not be able to see out of it. With Korg's Odyssey, there is nothing else like it. Neither Oddity nor Arturia's 2600 have unison, which thickens the sound up wonderfully in Korg's plugin. And the weird thing is sometimes it's fine, which is why I had it in a lot of songs, but lately it just goes spastic out of the blue and I can't see what's changed to make it do that. Maybe I shoudl try it in VST Live? (See how I brought it back on-topic? Pure f**king genius!)
Yeah that sucks, maybe an older version if Korg let you download older versions?

But that's the thing, Odyssey hasn't been updated since they released the v3 collection ages ago so it's something else that's changed, either a Windows or Studio One update. It's just too hard to be bothered with.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:27 pm But that's the thing, Odyssey hasn't been updated since they released the v3 collection ages ago so it's something else that's changed, either a Windows or Studio One update. It's just too hard to be bothered with.
Feel that one, a security update screwed the GUI of Alchemy, and it's not getting fixed because we all know the guy works on Logic now where Alchemy resides.

The saving grace is no matter how unique a software instrument might be, there are dozens of amazing ones to replace it if it tanks. It's more like I don't have the time to really get into all the great synths I have in the VST folders.

Looks like “Vst live” is no longer the topic of this forum…
Perhaps discuss Odyssey on new forum topic :wink:

Atlatnesiti wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:42 pm Looks like “Vst live” is no longer the topic of this forum…
Perhaps discuss Odyssey on new forum topic :wink:
The best way to get a thread back on topic is to discuss the topic, which you did not do. So I'll assume for now we've exhausted what can be said about it. If you've spent any time on KVR this is how all threads go, they either get locked with people arguing etc. or they wind off topic when the subject wears out. At least we're still discussing plug ins and music rather than the usual random unrelated subject like gardening.

BONES wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:27 pm But that's the thing, Odyssey hasn't been updated since they released the v3 collection ages ago so it's something else that's changed, either a Windows or Studio One update. It's just too hard to be bothered with.
Odyssey was updated in late April. You may want to check into that.
On a number of Macs

Hmmm... maybe that's the problem. Now that you say it, it feels familiar so I might just need to roll back to the previous version, which I should have knocking about somewhere. It's been a very hectic few months, with a new job an' all.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”