Sneak Peak Roland pcm engine editor (integra )

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Not being remotely-code orientated, how easy would it be to build similar editors in Architect for other HW synths? [ Some with CCs or NRPN / others using sysex ]

Assuming it's also possible to open as a VST/AU and to assign parameters created in Architect to be controlled/automated in a DAW? [ eg Bitwig / Live ]

Controlling CCs is trivially easy, and NRPN only slightly more complex, although I will add some macros to abstract away that complexity away. As for Sysex, it largely depends on the destination synth. Some synths have incredibly complex Sysex expectations, a remnant of the old days when every bit counted and settings had to be crunched and packed in tight little data packet.

The basic modules you need for writing CCs is the [pack controller] and a [MIDI Output]. I'm happy to post a quick example, if you want to know where to begin, and I'm also happy to help with a more complex approach if you have a particular synth's sysex requirments.

Architect as a VST exposes what is calls "Performance Parameters", which can be mapped directly to anything internal or accessed in the graph with a [performance parameter] module. The outer host - such as Bitwig or Live - can write to these parameters the same as it would any other synth or plug-in.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:40 pm Controlling CCs is trivially easy, and NRPN only slightly more complex, although I will add some macros to abstract away that complexity away. As for Sysex, it largely depends on the destination synth. Some synths have incredibly complex Sysex expectations, a remnant of the old days when every bit counted and settings had to be crunched and packed in tight little data packet.

The basic modules you need for writing CCs is the [pack controller] and a [MIDI Output]. I'm happy to post a quick example, if you want to know where to begin, and I'm also happy to help with a more complex approach if you have a particular synth's sysex requirments.

Architect as a VST exposes what is calls "Performance Parameters", which can be mapped directly to anything internal or accessed in the graph with a [performance parameter] module. The outer host - such as Bitwig or Live - can write to these parameters the same as it would any other synth or plug-in.
Many thanks for the detailed reply Colin.

That all sounds cool. Would there be advantages choosing NRPN over CC if the synth allowed both options? [ I think my DSI stuff does ].

I have 2 synths that only do sysex paras [ both have standalone editors in Patch Base but not VST ] and those would be huge undertakings. :)

Currently thinking of simpler synths like the SH-01A / SE-02 Boutiques but I'm going to be slammed at least until early next year (and I don't even have a license as yet). The offer of some guidance would be great when the time comes though, many thanks for that.

I trust you're keeping well Sir, it's been a while? :)

From an end-user perspective, there isn't a great advantage to using NRPN over CC (provided the host deals with the slight additional hassle of creating the messages.) NPRN does mean synth manufacturers can support a much greater number of MIDI controllable parameters than "plain" CC messages.

If I could find the MIDI specs for the SH-01A, for example, I could give you an idea of how complex a path this would be. I had a quick google and could find the manual, but no Sysex specs - I assume they're online somewhere, but it has for now defeated my searching skills!

As for me, I'm doing well thanks. We're still in the UK, but have moved from sunny Bournemouth to noticably less sunny Oxford because of an unfortunate enduring medical sitation with my partner. Hope all is good with you?
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

Good to hear Colin... Up against it with work nonsense here but will drop you a line in the near future (is the colin @ loomer co.uk email address still good?)

Yes, that email address is still live. Thanks: I look forward to it.

Hi. I'm new to this group; I joined it as I saw this interesting Integra editor and wanted to ask: considering the almost identical architecture, would you be so kind to customise it for FA series (I own an FA-08) working on Mac OSX?

Thanks in advance.

Francesco72 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:17 pm Hi. I'm new to this group; I joined it as I saw this interesting Integra editor and wanted to ask: considering the almost identical architecture, would you be so kind to customise it for FA series (I own an FA-08) working on Mac OSX?

Thanks in advance.
Since I don't have an FA , I don't have the sysex information it sends .
You could for example figure out the sysex yourself ( enable send sysex in your synth _ , capture it in architect and copy -paste the new sysex info in the parameter field of the integra editor .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Loomer”