VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SLiC
KVRAF
Topic Starter
8991 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:27 am

Yeh, its great to see 'boutique' VSTs :-)
PC + S49, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack + OXI One, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals (Zoia, Beebo)

briefcasemanx
KVRian
1170 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:59 pm

foosnark wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:34 am
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:39 pm I find it strange that I even have to write any of this out, this is very basic and obvious. There's a reason why companies that sell lots of units and make lots of money (i.e. know how to market) almost universally try to give their products catchy, palatable, memorable names.
Loquelic Iteritas and Basimilus Iteritas Alter sold LOTS of units. They're one of the more successful small Eurorack companies.

Your personal preference for names is not a universal constant. I have seen a very small number of other people complain about them but I doubt it's hurting their sales any. I find the names easier to remember than Doepfer's bland model numbers, and easily just as distinctive as any other brand's names. They make as much sense as "Pamela's New Workout" or "Belgrad" or "Rainmaker" or "Kermit" or "Mangrove" or "Plaits," none of which I have any trouble remembering either.
Are we talking about physical eurorack modules, (which is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT SPACE, with a different audience, different price point, different consumer space considerations, different product expectations, different manufacturer market saturation, etc etc etc) or are we talking about plugins right now?

I guess this pointless argument over super, super basic marketing 101 level stuff will continue...

foosnark
KVRAF
6316 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:59 pm

It's a pointless argument all right. Let's break KvR tradition by not bothering to continue with it.

pekbro
KVRAF
4901 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 pm

I think it's a pretty standard and prudent strategy to develop and release a product for free and then target the same segment that was interested in that free product with a paid follow up or related product. Particularly when your products are generally considered niche (techno) and not likely to generate much interest beyond that niche. As for fancy UI's and graphics, yeah that stuff cost money and time to develop, and why would you even bother to do that when your brand is already identifiable by a unique graphic style and naming convention with pretty much all the people who are going to be interested in the stuff. The plugin's are just something that they can manage without much expenditure that can provide some extra income and the bonus of comparatively low cost entry into their customer base for those who are interested, yet unable to afford entry into their primary product line. There is not really much incentive to go out of their way for anything beyond that I think.

v1o
KVRAF
3162 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 am

Hrast's Tranzistow and Diodow have a similar issue with weird names and GUIs that won't be to everyones taste. Tranzistow could possibly be one of the best VST synths ever coded by anyone but no one talks about it.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

foosnark
KVRAF
6316 posts since 9 Jan, 2003 from Saint Louis MO

Post Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:23 pm

The Noise Engineering plugins are minimalist and have that hacker-ish font, and the silly "fire" effect (that is on by default, ugh) and are just not pretty in general. It's fairly consistent with the branding on their Euro stuff. But they're not crowded, they're functional, there are helpful visual representations of waveshapes and envelopes etc. and the modulation indicators are pretty useful too.

I honestly think it was a good choice on their part to go with that style of interface rather than a skeumorphic version of their Eurorack panels (which they came closer to with their Reason plugins). I know they were working specifically on ways to streamline porting code from their embedded hardware to various plugin formats, and keep as much reusable code as possible. That style of GUI helps with that.

The parameters tend to lean more minimalist because of the legacy of the modules. Sinc Vereor has a mode and one knob to affect timbre; Virt Vereor has a mode and 3 oscillator parameters (already one more than Virt Iter Legio), and both share the envelope and VCA/filter GUI and code.

Tranzistow on the other hand... the word that comes to mind when I see it is relentless. Immediate eye fatigue. It looks like a spreadsheet with a late 80s CGA color scheme. There's no spacing between the controls or groups of controls. Slider positions don't really stand out particularly clearly. Random words are in bold for some reason. It's the sort of GUI where as soon as I see it, I just back away slowly and close the door.

It helps that Virt Vereor has a *total* of 14 sliders on the main page (grouped in pretty obvious ways). Tranzistow has 14 parameters x4 oscillators plus another 16x4 plus some other stuff, and then there are apparently 13 other tabs. It hurts.

HOTF
KVRist
62 posts since 16 Jun, 2022

Post Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:59 pm

v1o wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 am Hrast's Tranzistow and Diodow have a similar issue with weird names and GUIs that won't be to everyones taste. Tranzistow could possibly be one of the best VST synths ever coded by anyone but no one talks about it.
Tranzistow is not even comparable to Noise Engineering stuff in terms of UI. Noise Egineering UI's are gimicky sure... but functionnal and streamlined. Tranzistow looks like a sketchy pre windows software :lol:

Return to “Instruments”