One Synth Challenge #160: ADLplug / OPNplug by jpcima (ZioMau Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Rahodees wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:33 pm I mean apologies for being a little argumentative here but, I find this quote right at the top of your link!

"So I suppose what we're looking for as a yardstick is the "wow! you did that whole track with one synth and hardly any effects????????" factor ..."

Do you not feel that goes directly against what you're saying about the OSC?
Not really :wink: Keep reading and you will find very interesting things. Also look for OSC 2 and 3 threads.
Have fun making music.

Rahodees wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:12 pm But your remarks bring a question to my mind: What are some things you have _wanted_ to do in OSC's past, which you refrained from doing due to the rules under discussion here? In other words, what limits do you feel they _do_ put on you?
I think the rules are absolutely fine as they are now. Some very clear points (e.g. use of samples, some effects) and then some points that leave enough wiggle room for interpretation.
The rules need to work for the many, very different types of synths there are in this challenge (and some of them were truly terrible; I remember one had noise and crackling in one output channel, that was the "nature" of that synth lol).
Sometimes we just find ourselves on the opposite ends of that wiggle room and these discussions come up. It's fine, all part of this fantastic contest. We all have our voting power to support the participants who used synth and rules the best, in our own opinion and interpretation.

Gonna follow friend @ELEX here and try out that external STFU plugin, heard only good things about it ;)

Cheers and good luck in this round everyone!

I would really like to use reverse reverb at least. It's not changing the synth. And it's just such a nice effect.

I'm at a loss how to control polyphony on these synths. Even if I set 100 chips and 600 ops I'll get 3 note polyphony and randomly 4 note? Any ideas or just a bug?

Edit: It seems polyphony only works with notes having velocity values of 127. Anything below 127 and the polyphony of those notes is very random. This was a patch with 12 chips, 48 ops on a 4op voice. Any ideas to fix? Bit of a pain for anything played with more than 3 notes.
poly-issue.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hi everyone here is my entry.
Edited to now only use 20 instances of ADL. The snare/clap don't sound as good but are as close as I could get in the limited time to remake those channels.
I used these effects (+/-1 due to the edit) 2 arp chord, 19 EQ Eight, 6 Reverb, 1 Multiband Dynamics, 7 Utility, 1 Drum Buss, 3 Saturator, 8 Compressor, 1 Valhalla Supermassive, 1 Ozone Imager 2. Ableton Live

https://soundcloud.com/user-783020495/a ... al_sharing
Last edited by BrainBeatMusic on Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

BrainBeatMusic wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:52 am Hi everyone here is my entry. I will post the info about it tomorrow but would love any feedback on last-minute adjustments to it if needed.

A very beautiful track, well balanced, I have nothing to add!) I can't believe it sounds from... OPN or ADL? Looking at the name, we might think that you used both, but the rules said that everyone should choose only one of the two for themselves. At this point I turn off my meticulousness)

Here is my entry for this month.

https://soundcloud.com/user-38230094/si ... al_sharing

x16 instances of ADLPlug.

FX List

x2 Event Horizon Limiter/Clipper
x1 MAXBAS
x1 Unlimited

x5 FirComp
x1 Event Horizon Clipper
x1 FerrickTDS MKII
x9 ReaEQ
x2 Wider
x1 Valhalla Supermassive
x1 HY Delay 4 Free
x1 NastyDLA MKII
x1 KSHMR Essential Kick
x3 dBComp
x1 EpicPLATE
x1 Panstation
x1 A1StereoControl
x1 BassDrive
x1 PurestWarm
x1 TAL Filter 2
x1 TDR VOS SlickEQ
Last edited by phankiejankie303 on Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Well, if you add up the length of my last two tracks and divide in half, you get two regular six-minute tracks, so the balance is saved. You don't have to listen for a long time when voting, it's great, isn't it? Here, I'm taking care of you! :D
In fact, the point is the lack of further inspiration and a ton of technical problems that are when recording this little FMonster. I (and anyone who likes this little track) have to say a huge thanks to Silverpants, who with one comment gave me the strength to finish and post it! :hail:
This is also my new record - two tracks/months in a row, only 80 times less than DoctorBob! :violin:

Submission:

https://soundcloud.com/user-5930296/iv-open-mind

OPNMIDI: 5 Instances.
FX: 2xNova-67P, 2xWider, 1xSPATIO Light. Master is clean.

Enjoy the chaos! :phones:

hockinsk3 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:42 am I'm at a loss how to control polyphony on these synths. Even if I set 100 chips and 600 ops I'll get 3 note polyphony and randomly 4 note? Any ideas or just a bug?

Edit: It seems polyphony only works with notes having velocity values of 127. Anything below 127 and the polyphony of those notes is very random. This was a patch with 12 chips, 48 ops on a 4op voice. Any ideas to fix? Bit of a pain for anything played with more than 3 notes.poly-issue.gif
What do you mean when you say you're setting it to 100 chips and 600 ops? I encounter a maximum of 12 chips and 4 ops. Sorry I don't have anything helpful to offer, I'm just confused on that point.

hockinsk3 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:42 am I'm at a loss how to control polyphony on these synths. Even if I set 100 chips and 600 ops I'll get 3 note polyphony and randomly 4 note? Any ideas or just a bug?

Edit: It seems polyphony only works with notes having velocity values of 127. Anything below 127 and the polyphony of those notes is very random...
I encountered the same polyphony issue ( across all parts ) with OPN. Didn't notice the velocity 127 aspect though. Pretty sure it's a major bug, as it doesn't seem to make much sense to have a 16 part multitimbral synth with this behaviour. Unless velocity control is the bug. ;)

My entry: The Electroids Of Neptune Turn And Fight

https://soundcloud.com/slugnest/silverp ... al_sharing

DAW: Reaper
16 Instances of ADLPlug - all made from scratch

OrilRiver Reverb, Dead Duck Delay & Filter & Compressor & Limiter, Valhalla Supermassive Delay, Reaper EQ & Saturation, Voxengo SPAN, YouLean Loudness Meter.

Story on Soundcloud. Thanks for suggesting it IV. It helped me write the song!
Captain Silverpants

Just wondering if iZotope's Ozone Imager V2 is a legal plugin? It is free to download from their website but does require a login. I am wanting to use it to control the width but can for sure not use it if not.

BrainBeatMusic wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:19 am Just wondering if iZotope's Ozone Imager V2 is a legal plugin? It is free to download from their website but does require a login. I am wanting to use it to control the width but can for sure not use it if not.
This one has been used in the past with no problem -- it is freely available, even if that requires a login.

IV! wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:28 pm
BrainBeatMusic wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:52 am Hi everyone here is my entry. I will post the info about it tomorrow but would love any feedback on last-minute adjustments to it if needed.

A very beautiful track, well balanced, I have nothing to add!) I can't believe it sounds from... OPN or ADL? Looking at the name, we might think that you used both, but the rules said that everyone should choose only one of the two for themselves. At this point I turn off my meticulousness)
Thanks for your nice tracks I have made some minor adjustments to the track as others suggestions which I think have made it sound more balanced. I have adjusted the overall mix a bit to bring in some more dynamics as looking at the overall waveform it was mostly a fat sausage with not much variation except at the ends. I boosted the bass drum and snare/clap sounds a bit to be louder in the mix. I also added a few transition notes in one so the bass line riffs to give is a bit more movement.

As for using both synths, it would seem I missed the bit that you were only meant to use one of them I hope everyone will forgive me for making this mistake as to me they both seem basically the same? I would need probably an extra day to fix it too otherwise. All of the melodic elements plus the Bass drum and wood block were done using ADL and only the high-hat, snare, and clap were using OPN.
For me so far in these competitions, I have been trying to make music that very much uses the instrument provided but try and make music with it that doesn't like it was from the area of the synth. In other words, these synths were clearly made and used for 90's game music (based on the patches) but I have tried to mostly make a track that sounded more modern.

Rahodees wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:26 pm

Edit: It seems polyphony only works with notes having velocity values of 127. Anything below 127 and the polyphony of those notes is very random. This was a patch with 12 chips, 48 ops on a 4op voice. Any ideas to fix? Bit of a pain for anything played with more than 3 notes.poly-issue.gif
What do you mean when you say you're setting it to 100 chips and 600 ops? I encounter a maximum of 12 chips and 4 ops. Sorry I don't have anything helpful to offer, I'm just confused on that point.
For 2op algorithms, each channel can accommodate a single 2op voice
For 2x2op algorithms, each voice occupies two channels so polyhpony halved
For 4op algorithms, each voice occupies two channels but the channels cannot be occupied arbitrarily. Up to 12 channels may be reserved for 4op, allowing 6 4op voices.

It seems that 4op polyphony is bugged because I am not seeing any increase in 4op polyphony when each note being played isn't 127 velocity, certainly not 6 voice polyphony as the screen grab shows, it can't even play 5 voices. It's not a huge issue, it just means for stuff like chords or fast-moving progressions with some release to the voice, you have to disable velocity to get the possible polyphony as described in the manual.

Return to “Instruments”