Reason 12 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Its a fun enough tool especially if you 'CV' out the bass note and throw in an arp module after the progression etc...It so easy it almost feels like using a loops! I tend top write chord progressions on guitar, but nothing wrong with having this option...it already exists in the VST world (riff maker, chord maker, drum maker...honestly, the songs write themselves, yet somehow all sound like I have heard them before ;-))
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:52 am honestly, the songs write themselves, yet somehow all sound like I have heard them before ;-)
Exactly! It's because you have.

But since I was apparently wrong on them spending significant amounts of precious development time on this it's all good.
parma wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:05 pm According to their blog post about it, the chord sequencer was mainly developed outside of Reason Studios:
Reason Studios wrote:While our content manager Joachim started looking for chord-savvy content creators, we contacted Magnus, formerly of Reason Studios but now game developer at Ichigoichie. He was happy to develop the Player for us!
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:47 am
EnochLight wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:37 pm SAME. I've been using Reason since the version 1 launch, I consider myself an experienced musician, and know how to write chords. That said, having tools like MIDI effects (Players) and other chord generators like this can be very inspiring
Tools like this limit inspiration.
For you, perhaps - but a plethora of other musicians use these tools very effectively for great inspiration.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Yeah I agree. There are already quite a number of videos popping up online with people using this tool to great effect. Just because it limits one persons creativity doesn't mean it does for someone else.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

nevermind... :D

jjpscott01 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:41 pm Yeah I agree. There are already quite a number of videos popping up online with people using this tool to great effect. Just because it limits one persons creativity doesn't mean it does for someone else.
What can it do that the other chord players like Chordjam can’t do?

I’m interested, as I can get it for cheap with reward points.

I haven't used Chordjam specifically so I'm sure what the differences are there. The thing I like about it compared to others I've used is more related to workflow and interface. One of the things that Reason Studios has always done well is that it implements features you might see in another plugin but in way that's easy to understand and invites smooth operation. I like the Idea in this case that it uses colors in relation to how complementary a chord is. I also dig that the interface is laid out somewhat like an MPC style drum pad so with a midi drum controller you can trigger the pads and they line up with the chords on the screen. In general, the interface is clean, just makes sense, and invites a quick way of generating ideas.
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

jjpscott01 wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:16 pm I haven't used Chordjam specifically so I'm sure what the differences are there. The thing I like about it compared to others I've used is more related to workflow and interface. One of the things that Reason Studios has always done well is that it implements features you might see in another plugin but in way that's easy to understand and invites smooth operation. I like the Idea in this case that it uses colors in relation to how complementary a chord is. I also dig that the interface is laid out somewhat like an MPC style drum pad so with a midi drum controller you can trigger the pads and they line up with the chords on the screen. In general, the interface is clean, just makes sense, and invites a quick way of generating ideas.
Thanks mate, i'll give it a test drive :)

jens wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:58 am
EnGee wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:24 pm
Really? Why do you think that?
Well, the last time I praised Reason's audio-editors (I think it was here in this thread), he suggested we should use some random audio-editor instead, because it was better at editing audio. duh! :lol:

So don't hold your breath expecting much of a reasonable reply, I'd say.
You've been blocked for months, now (and, this is why). I doubt that was me, as I've generally made a point to not even bother engaging with the trolls of the forum. Please quote the reply you're referencing, as that sounds bizarre AF.

I can't remember ever having a discussion here about audio/sample editors in Reason. It's not even the type of program that I would bother to use to edit audio, and I'm not even sure it supports External Audio Editors (and I'm pretty sure it does not support ARA2).

EDIT: I just went through my entire post history and the post you're referring to does not exist. I have never had a discussion about that here with anyone, or even mentioned it. Can you please just... stop trolling?

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Trensharo wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 pm I would consider Reason if I were a beatmaker who wanted to use generic hardware and have a bit more recording workflow convenience than something like MPC or Maschine. It feels more like a Groovebox than a Studio DAW, to me.

I find its workflow refreshing and to be honest I can be productive with only its internal devices and some rack extensions. It boosts my productivity actually!

There are some minor complains I have about the hardware support. I have Arturia keylab mk ii and the integration is not that good. I don't blame Reason Studios, but Arturia mainly.

Also, did they get rid of the blocks?!! I can't find it!

Edit: I found it! It is in the option menu (disabled by default!).
Because the workflow and feature set are nice for beatmakers, but I generally wouldn't want to make other types of music with it because I prefer a DAW that isn't as skeuomorphic - particularly for working with large projects.

I'm quite aware that it can be productive with its internal devices, the same way MPC or Maschine can be very productive for that type of work using just the stuff they ship with. That was kind of my point.

Also, this is my personal view on Reason. I am not here to convince anyone. I don't really care what anyone uses. I am not buying it for them. Trolls be damned.

Reason is actually quite popular among beatmakers. I wouldn't be surprised if that were one of their stronger market segments.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

Well, sometimes I like nice beats :) But I understand your point.

Anyway, for me, Reason still a super workstation. I can be more productive with it than my MODX. I'm thinking of selling it actually! It's gathering dust!

I like Reason 👌 I use it frequently now beside other DAWs.

Trensharo wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:08 am
jens wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:58 am
Well, the last time I praised Reason's audio-editors (I think it was here in this thread), he suggested we should use some random audio-editor instead, because it was better at editing audio. duh! :lol:

So don't hold your breath expecting much of a reasonable reply, I'd say.
You've been blocked for months, now (and, this is why). I doubt that was me, as I've generally made a point to not even bother engaging with the trolls of the forum. Please quote the reply you're referencing, as that sounds bizarre AF.

I can't remember ever having a discussion here about audio/sample editors in Reason. It's not even the type of program that I would bother to use to edit audio, and I'm not even sure it supports External Audio Editors (and I'm pretty sure it does not support ARA2).

EDIT: I just went through my entire post history and the post you're referring to does not exist. I have never had a discussion about that here with anyone, or even mentioned it. Can you please just... stop trolling?

Sorry, but I can't stop what I never started. My posts are typically straight to the point and highly on topic - something that can't really be said about yours nearly as much.

Here is what I was referring to:
jens wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 11:26 am
hotmitts wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 9:54 pm I got the upgrade to EZDrummer 3 recently, which turns out to be exclusively VST3. It forced me to look at another DAW. I got Studio One very cheap and spent a few days watching how-to videos. Moving out of my idiosyncratic Reason environment was a learning curve (long time since I used another host) but I'm really happy with this set-up now.
I have Studio One Pro and sometimes use it but my main DAW is still Reason. The bulk of my tracks is self-recorded audio - it's mostly very conventional old-school stuff (loads of electric and acoustic plucked instruments, acoustic and electric pianos, string-machines, vocals, etc. - stuff like that) and since I record it (mostly) all myself and I don't have a ton of time, I can't practice all the parts to a level where I'd always get them right on the first or second take. I tend to record +10 takes (weirdly enough I found out that I often stop at take 13 :o) and maybe I'll redo some of them afterwards or record a new or alternative part instead. It is a lot of takes. I'll do a bit of comping here and there too.
And for me, Reason is by far the easiest, cleanest and tidiest of all DAWs I tried in regards to dealing with audio for such a scenario. Also its Audio Editors help making this suberbly easy and painless for the most part of it. Studio One is a complete mess when it comes to multi-takes, Cubase (of which I own the full version too (11 atm)) even more so. These DAWs are imo dreadful when it comes to dealing with audio in comparison to Reason, which - the one or the other super-annoying brain-fart aside which I mentioned here - is just superb in regards to this.

This is for me even more so the case because Blocks, which is an absolute unique feature of Reason, allows you to store additional stuff behind the end-marker. For me that is much neater than Studio One's Scratch Pad('s).

A lot of this may of course not concearn you much if your music mostly consists of MIDI-tracks feeding virtual instruments so your mileage may vary greatly.

Having said all this , ironically enough I always upgrade to the latest version of Studio One because they always deliver a lot and you imo always get a whole lot and a half for your money, while I am still at Reason V11 and perhaps would still even be at V10 had I known what I know now when V11 came out. The Props-of-today's main strength is marketing bollocks and asking for a lot of money over mostly nothing. They've become the epitome of hot air. And I'm not willing to partake in paying the costs of their tardy, most irrelevant coding, obviously terrible project-managements skills and a general obvious lack of any understanding of the mechanics of brand-loyalty, the importance of a heathly customer-relationship, the shortcomings of their own product, the relevance of features, yadda yadda...
hotmitts wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:03 pm That's interesting..am mostly audio (guitars and voice) myself, with added vst drums and some synth bits for gravy..have yet to try recording audio in S1.
Mm there is no telling really when or if we will see some standard features added to reason...they've always just done there own thing...I'm not filled with confidence after their buyout and they could keep us waiting forever .
I guess im feeling after just a few days watching bid tutorials that I could use both reason and studio one depending.
I take your point about audio editing, I haven't tried it in S1 yet so cant compare. Yeah it does seem easy to comp and crossfade in reason...guess to listen to takes if you have 13 odd to compare.
Trensharo wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:22 pm
hotmitts wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 12:03 pm That's interesting..am mostly audio (guitars and voice) myself, with added vst drums and some synth bits for gravy..have yet to try recording audio in S1.
Mm there is no telling really when or if we will see some standard features added to reason...they've always just done there own thing...I'm not filled with confidence after their buyout and they could keep us waiting forever .
I guess im feeling after just a few days watching bid tutorials that I could use both reason and studio one depending.
I take your point about audio editing, I haven't tried it in S1 yet so cant compare. Yeah it does seem easy to comp and crossfade in reason...guess to listen to takes if you have 13 odd to compare.
Audio editing is stronger in Samplitude, Pro Tools and Cubase. Studio One wouldn't be my first choice for that, but it also depends on the type of editing tooling you require.

Samplitude Pro X Suite is definitely tops if you want to get as close as possible to something like WaveLab Pro in production DAW. You only really need like the X4 version since I don't think anything beyond that brings enough value to justify the (fairly high) upgrade costs.

Good crossfade editor, great [non-destructive] wave editing, Spectral Editing, decent audio restoration plug-ins (ignorable if you have RX), and the ability to round trip to any external audio editor when needed.

I do hate that you cannot round trip in Studio One without ARA or RX Connect. Cubase at least allows you to do so with WaveLab [Elements or Pro].

I do a ton of Audio Editing and Music Design, and this is part of the reason I couldn't stick with Studio One.

The highlighting is by me - basically this whole post of yours is irrelevant and off topic and containing no real info, but for you to mention in the context of the thread and the discussion all this, which has zero to do with anything that we talked about.... :help:
Samplitude? Wavelab? Spectral Editing? Audio restoration? :help:

And look at the thread to verify how you killed the nicely productive conversation with your nonsensical bullshit post. It really sucked any desire to continue out of me. It was just too much of stupid nothing. Just entering a thread to show everyone how you know more than anyone else while not even being really capable of actually comprehending what's being discussed....

viewtopic.php?p=8427108#p8427108
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

You can both take your page long digressions and arguments to foetown, population thee.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Well, my own bit is very Reason-specific, is it not? ;-)

but in fairness Jens it's a bit of a distraction and it's a holiday weekend here :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”