Those who wanted to keep your music as hobby, what are your musical hobby goals?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

theres things like castingcallclub that have open projects seeking composers of all types. but honestly just try everything that interests you and put yourself out there. the more involved you get in communities, the more friends you'll make, which can lead to more opportunities that allow you to do things that you'll probably find more fulfilling

Yeah but friends are a royal PITA.
Last edited by BONES on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Terribly so. Making people think about others...
Nightmare
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

They're just so f**king needy. All my best friends are people I see once or twice a year, tops. And they never call or email so most of the time I can forget they even exist. Perfect!
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Mine are always bothering me to sign stuff. Restraining orders....cease and desists.......
Never ends
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

melomood wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:31 am Mine are always bothering me to sign stuff. Restraining orders....cease and desists.......
Never ends
You poor, poor, dear! :lol:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

BONES wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:25 amThey're just so f**king needy. All my best friends are people I see once or twice a year, tops.
:hihi:
Sez the bloke who just so f**king needs to post here once or twice a day.
H E L P
Y O U R
F L O W

[Mod edit: Bit referencing a deleted discussion removed.]
Ultimately this all just a matter of how one defines a hobby.
I’ve been a professional advertising and film composer since the beginning of the eighties and always split what I do into two categories. 1. Someone contacts me for a paying job that actually sees money at the end of it... Professional 2. Nobody asks me to do what I love doing outside of that, I compose, play, engineer and produce tracks for my own pleasure that only a handful of people will ever hear... hobby.
Interesting point... I never listen to something after it’s been accepted and put on TV or Cinema, not even my showreel after it’s up online. I do listen constantly to the millions of tracks I’ve produced over the last gazillion years. I love my hobby:)))

Good to see so many just enjoying their music. Likewise here...no goals whatsoever. Don't care if I ever finish a track (rarely), care less for anyone to hear it. As long as I enjoy making either music or simply weird noises...keeps me happy. In fact the further away I got from professional and goals, the more I enjoy my music.

I always have to finish a track. Until it's a song, it's just a waste of my time. I think that's why I got so deeply into this 80s cover thing I've been doing for a while now. I can grab a MIDI file and have a working song in an hour.

see for me it's about the guitar and playing, if I finish a song I dont have a band, I dont want a band so I rarely play them again when I do finish a song...I love to play my guitars :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 am see for me it's about the guitar and playing, if I finish a song I dont have a band, I dont want a band so I rarely play them again when I do finish a song...I love to play my guitars :shrug:
For me its just the funny cloths and silly haircuts.......

PatchAdamz wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:09 am
Hink wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 am see for me it's about the guitar and playing, if I finish a song I dont have a band, I dont want a band so I rarely play them again when I do finish a song...I love to play my guitars :shrug:
For me its just the funny cloths and silly haircuts.......
I could challenge Joe Walsh for the nuttiest faces while playing :hihi:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 amsee for me it's about the guitar and playing, if I finish a song I dont have a band, I dont want a band so I rarely play them again when I do finish a song...I love to play my guitars :shrug:
For me it is about the performance. I only write songs so I can get up on stage and scream at the top of my lungs. I don't really enjoy playing at all any more. I used to find it quite relaxing but these days it feels like a chore. Whereas singing along to one of our songs or to a cover at home, on the boat, is something I still enjoy.

The more it feels like we'll never be able to get a gig again as NOVAkILL, the more I gravitate towards the covers I've been making. The scene in Sydney has completely disappeared so I'm back to the way things were in the 80s, when it was hard to get gigs because no-one knew what line-up to stick me with, except now there are probably only 10% of the number of venues there used to be. That makes it virtually impossible because there aren't any other bands we can use to give a venue a full line-up. And because the scene is dead, no-one is going to bring overseas acts here for us to support, so we're basically f**ked.

I've got an hour set of 80s hits I'm confident I can get into shape without too much more effort, I just need to properly learn the keyboard parts I want to play, and I'll be just as happy doing that as doing NOVAkILL, even if it's just in a bar on a Sunday afternoon. And with more than 70 songs to choose from, I've been able to pick a good set that's easy to learn/play. Mostly songs I know all the lyrics to (which turns out to be a lot fewer than I thought).

BONES wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:04 am
Hink wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:05 amsee for me it's about the guitar and playing, if I finish a song I dont have a band, I dont want a band so I rarely play them again when I do finish a song...I love to play my guitars :shrug:
For me it is about the performance. I only write songs so I can get up on stage and scream at the top of my lungs. I don't really enjoy playing at all any more. I used to find it quite relaxing but these days it feels like a chore. Whereas singing along to one of our songs or to a cover at home, on the boat, is something I still enjoy.

The more it feels like we'll never be able to get a gig again as NOVAkILL, the more I gravitate towards the covers I've been making. The scene in Sydney has completely disappeared so I'm back to the way things were in the 80s, when it was hard to get gigs because no-one knew what line-up to stick me with, except now there are probably only 10% of the number of venues there used to be. That makes it virtually impossible because there aren't any other bands we can use to give a venue a full line-up. And because the scene is dead, no-one is going to bring overseas acts here for us to support, so we're basically f**ked.

I've got an hour set of 80s hits I'm confident I can get into shape without too much more effort, I just need to properly learn the keyboard parts I want to play, and I'll be just as happy doing that as doing NOVAkILL, even if it's just in a bar on a Sunday afternoon. And with more than 70 songs to choose from, I've been able to pick a good set that's easy to learn/play. Mostly songs I know all the lyrics to (which turns out to be a lot fewer than I thought).
I always thought I was gonna be a showman, it really was the picture for me in the 80's but then I got in some bands. A few hours every other day or so was just not enough, going home and jamming to lps/tapes fed the jones but it was getting old. I got hold of a Cutec 4-track and a Siel (or seil) synth that I had no idea about and stopped sleeping because I needed more time to play. :hihi:

My music is really just that, it's my music and it is quite personal to me. Not songs having meanings or anything but the feelings that likely very few would perceive as I do. I say my music takes me there, I've had some rough times and it was always my music that kept my focused, I'm very much at peace. In a band I was/would be focused on performing, it is hard to get that same vibe on a stage for me. I love it when I just pick up a guitar and jam on something and am soon there.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”