Waldorf Largo

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Largo

The problem I have is I cannot see or load presets. I'm on an M1 Macbook Monterey
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

menthol wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:30 am
masterhiggins wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:12 pm
Rastkovic wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:22 am Just for those are interested, Waldorf Largo works fine with macOS Monterey 12.4 on my (Late 2015) iMac.

On Macs with M1 chip it might be look different....
You sure about that? I’m on Big Sur and the graphics glitches in the bank names is hard to miss.
I would sure appreciate a definitive take on this, as I am thinking about upgrading from Catalina on my 2020 Intel-based iMac.
Post a screenshot of the GUI glitch and I'll check that out.

There are no new strange GUI behaviours, only the old ones, that exist since a few years.

I can also load presets and banks, both in Live 10 and Live 11.

What synth/s come close to Largo in terms of sound? Just for my knowledge.

"Unfortunately" the sound of Largo is pretty unique.

It's a kind of sharp, digital, metallic, sound....

Thanks. Yes, it does sound unique, but thought if it could still be compared to some other synths, especially if it a synth that I already have. I am a bit tempted at the sale price but I am not sure how much use I can make of it. What genres does it fit in best?

It can fit into whatever you want to fit it into, just like pretty much any other synth. I don't subscribe to the concept that a synth can only "work" for some genres.

Yes, I understand that, but some synths have immediacy towards a certain type of sound/genre where they shine, that's why the question. I will consider demoing Largo.

I presume it doesn't have resizable GUI yet and is not available as VST3.

It does have a VST3, but no resizable GUI.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 am Yes, I understand that, but some synths have immediacy towards a certain type of sound/genre where they shine, that's why the question.
-> Trance/Hardtrance, EBM/Futurepop/Aggrotech, Techno

But again, it doesn't mean it is limited to those genres. More analogue type of sounds are also possible, thanks to the pre/post filter drive....

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:37 am Thanks. Yes, it does sound unique, but thought if it could still be compared to some other synths, especially if it a synth that I already have. I am a bit tempted at the sale price but I am not sure how much use I can make of it. What genres does it fit in best?
EvilDragon has a point, but, I think due to the sound and feature set, I think all the Waldorf synths excel at Ambient music. Actually, they even marketed their synths that way on an exhibition. "Dedicated to space music", IIRC. :)

Stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABdIUDXBFo

Largo makes creating such sounds a lot of fun, because, the whole layout is very tweakable, and the different sections make modulations easy without even using the mod matrix.

IMO, $29 is an absolute bargain for, in my eyes, one of the best sounding soft synths out there. I always criciticized many soft synths not being on the same level of punchy-ness, character and definition as some hardware synths. Largo is one of the big exceptions.

If only Waldorf would go on developing software. :(

EvilDragon wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:57 am It does have a VST3, but no resizable GUI.
Thanks.
Rastkovic wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:06 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:49 am Yes, I understand that, but some synths have immediacy towards a certain type of sound/genre where they shine, that's why the question.
-> Trance/Hardtrance, EBM/Futurepop/Aggrotech, Techno

But again, it doesn't mean it is limited to those genres. More analogue type of sounds are also possible, thanks to the pre/post filter drive....
Thanks, this is what I was mainly looking for, a reference list of genres where it is best suitable.
chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:37 am Thanks. Yes, it does sound unique, but thought if it could still be compared to some other synths, especially if it a synth that I already have. I am a bit tempted at the sale price but I am not sure how much use I can make of it. What genres does it fit in best?
EvilDragon has a point, but, I think due to the sound and feature set, I think all the Waldorf synths excel at Ambient music. Actually, they even marketed their synths that way on an exhibition. "Dedicated to space music", IIRC. :)

Stuff like this:

<span class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YABdIUDXBFo</span>

Largo makes creating such sounds a lot of fun, because, the whole layout is very tweakable, and the different sections make modulations easy without even using the mod matrix.

IMO, $29 is an absolute bargain for, in my eyes, one of the best sounding soft synths out there. I always criciticized many soft synths not being on the same level of punchy-ness, character and definition as some hardware synths. Largo is one of the big exceptions.

If only Waldorf would go on developing software. :(
Nice! Thanks, appreciate the inputs. I will consider demoing to make sure it works well on my system. I may have demoed it earlier, but don't remember.

So, does it mean there's no possibility of a resizable GUI in future? :(

I don't think there will be a resizable GUI.

What system are you on?

chk071 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:00 am I don't think there will be a resizable GUI.

What system are you on?
Okay.

I am on Windows 11 and using a 2K (1440p) display.

Ok. You won't have an issue to run Largo on Windows 11 (I'm using it myself), but you should take a look how the GUI scales on your display. I don't have an issue with it here on my display (24" 1080p monitor).

There's a trial version available here: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/30-days-trial-versions

Oh, regarding the VST3 version: It is VST3.

Return to “Instruments”