Hosting AU vs. fontd

Official support for: ju-x.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If you Google you'll see that "fontd" is a MacOS background process that sometimes comes alive and can grab a lot of the CPU. Usually this no big deal, unless you're trying to record demanding audio, in which case you can get nasty audio glitches. I'm not a Mac expert, but it looks like "Hosting AU" uses a non-standard font ("Roboto-MediumItalic") which I suspect might be one thing that gets "fontd" going. I've tried fixing "fontd" as recommended online (deleting font caches, checking font validity, making sure there are no font duplicates), but I can't seem to avoid the problem, especially if I am running multiple instances of "Hosting AU" (which otherwise, work like a charm).

I'm wondering if there's not a simple fix to "Hosting AU" that would allow it to run without causing "fontd" to wake up? In the meantime, what does appear to work is to run a script in the background that repeatedly kills the "fontd" and "fontworker" processes as they come alive.

Hi Lesneque,

Still I can't recreate this issue. Though a thing is that Hosting AU reads the font inside itself. So I just doubt if it affects to fontd process...

Meanwhile what is the audio source you're recording? Something through audio interface, or inside Mac (means that some other apps run together with Hosting AU when you record)?

Thanks so much for the response. Hosting Au has been great and I hesitate to complain! You are quite right that I'm running things other than Hosting AU when I get the "fontd" problem. Typically, I'm sending MIDI over IAC to multiple instances of "Hosting AU" from apps like "Midipipe" or "Miditrail" or sometimes from "Pro Tools". When you say you can't duplicate the problem, do you mean that if you start with "fontd" not running, and then have "Hosting AU" start receiving MIDI over IAC, that this does not generate a "fontd" process? This is something I can't seem to avoid. (It might be something else in my setup that is causing this...)

Recreated the issue exactly! Great find, thank you!!

I have ideas to fix this, but I'll need some time...

I'm glad you spotted the problem too. I'll check on this forum in case you find there's something that can be done. Thank you for all your efforts!

It's been 3 weeks since I last checked up on this. Maybe the problem with "fontd" is more involved than I thought. Too bad...

Hi Lesneque,

Sorry for this late reply! The fix for the above issue itself is very small, but I must fix other many issues at this point at least for releasing. Also I must test whole thing well, or the current version works better than the new one...

So it's hard to tell when these are done... Anyways, this issue is in the to-fix list.

Thank you!

That's great! Thank you for your attention to this.

Hi,

I've uploaded a beta version, Hosting AU v1.5.1b now. You can get it from here: https://ju-x.com/downloads/Hosting%20AU%20b.zip

fontd issue is fixed, the MIDI input indicator was the cause.

Please let me know if this version fixes the issue.

I finally got around to trying the patch. It works like a charm! No fontd or fontworker to be found (and so no audio glitches). Thank you so much for your efforts!

Cool. Thank you for your report!

Return to “Ju-X”