SFZ format documentation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bjoerns Sample Mapper

MusicMayor wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:57 pm2. FYI, the link for 'SFZed' in the "Editors" table redirects to http://steveholt.drealm.info/sfZed.html
Yep, Steve asked me to host and gave me a copy of the site at the time he stopped maintaining the editor. As far as I know, it's the latest version.
MusicMayor wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:57 pm3. FYI, the link for 'SFZ Designer' in the "Editors" table is dead
... and I could have done the same for this, too, if I'd been asked.

So, we lost a tool and there's no working download anybody seems to have saved anywhere?

Happens with free stuff, I guess, but one upside of Github is that it's good free long-term storage for public projects.

DSmolken wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:56 pm ...
Happens with free stuff, I guess, but one upside of Github is that it's good free long-term storage for public projects.
let's hope:
GitLab U-turns on deleting dormant projects after backlash
https://www.theregister.com/2022/08/05/ ... on_policy/

DSmolken wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:56 pmSo, we lost a tool and there's no working download anybody seems to have saved anywhere?
Would need to have been set up with agreement from
MILDON STUDIOS
"Mildon Studios" software are distributed by
Nine Kites Software Publishing
Manila, Philippines
http://web.archive.org/web/201912220944 ... kites.com/ ... given that ninekites.com doesn't appear to be registered, currently, I'd say the company has evaporated.

Sad. Oh well. Redtide's removed the link for now.

Is there a simple way to start and stop a sample with the same key?

So you hit a key, sample starts playing (loop or not) and when you hit it again, it stops....or runs out normally

Sort of. I've done loop_mode=one_shot with a sample playing with lovel=43, and the same key with hivel=42 triggers a short silence. I either used note_polyphony=1 or group=X off_by=X with a different X for each key, not sure. In any case, this was for a lyre, where that sort of made sense.

You could try doing seq_length=2 with a sample on seq_position=1 and silence on seq_position=2 though not sure how this would work across multiple keys, or if it'd just be impractical with no "round robin reset" to make sure your DAW doesn't start on 2.

Ahh, ofc, silence :-) kinda hacky, but it will work, thx alot!

Yeah, "simple" for certain definitions of "simple", heh.

I have the exe for SFZ desingner 0.25 Beta 64. Does anyone know what the last version was? Will keep searching old hard drives to see if I kept a more recent one. Thanks
HPZ2 i9 32RAM, Macbook Pro M1, Studio One, FL, Ableton, Sibelius, BIAB

The last version was 0.3
https://www.kvraudio.com/product/sfz-designer-by-mildon
maybe via archive.org?

Thanks slangbein
HPZ2 i9 32RAM, Macbook Pro M1, Studio One, FL, Ableton, Sibelius, BIAB

We need a tutorial on how to do midi cc control with SFZ. Is MIDI CC control change even possible? I would like to be able to control the following aspects of a SFZ instrument, and I haven’t figured out how:

MIDI CC messages I would like each sample player plugin to support:

Attack
Decay
Sustain
Release
Cut off (low pass filter)
Resonance
Pitch wheel
Modulation wheel
Volume
Pan position
Portamento on/off
Portamento Time

I would like to be able to use my hardware controller, or possibly through midi automation tracks, and be able to change these aspects of an instrument on the fly.

Is this even possible? Does something have to be written into the SFZ script to make this happen? If it can be done, can it be done on most of the SFZ players?

Experts on the subject, please reply. 🙂
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Sure it is. With the filter cutoff the modulation is a little funny, and portamento via volume envelopes doesn't sound great past a minor third or so, but those controls are in many instruments. For example, Caveman Cosmonaut has basically all that. Of course this information still needs to be "tutorialized" so it's easy to find and digest, but it certainly does work with MIDI CC controls.

OK, I'm most concerned with being able to set the instrument Attack and Release of the ADSR. I would like to do it with MIDI CC controls. What specifically would I need to put into my SFZ file, and where? Thank in advance! :)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”