only audio and midi via usb in the future period

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

kritikon wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:17 pm I'm very much a fanboy of Wavestate and Korg in general, but must admit that updating the Wavestate - at first read I must have said aloud "WTF!?" quite a few times. There was one point at which I very nearly said "f**k it" and decided to leave it alone as v1.0 for ever. I must have updated it 4 or 5 times now and every time I assume it'll be a piece of cake, as I've done it before. Every time I have to aciduously rtfm as it doesn't happen otherwise. You seem to have to update drivers now matter how many times you've already updated drivers. Don't think I've ever seen such a ridiculous update system.
Worst for those that had various OS versions of Mac or Windows 10 that just did not work. They had to wait for weeks to get new versions from Korg etc. With Windows 7 I had no issues, just as you said to follow instructions carefully.

Last I did to v2.01 had to do an update in between to be able to do the final one, was a bit messy. But it worked. Introduced two different protocols and stuff, which obviously was set to the wrong one to communiate with by computer.

Worst I've been through was Behringer Neutron, what a bitch.
A range of various open source drivers you had to look up and download and install according to instructions. Never heard of before.

How did they even come up with that.

What happended to program file that just run and do updates and communicate and all of it?

What I fear a bit is REV2 update since their instructions have plenty midi interfaces listed which don't work. But luckily it was delivered with latest now, but for future.

I looked at the midi sysex that REV2 update through, and it was a single 1 megabyte midi file, in a single sysex F0/F7 block. So such a long stream and no clear instruction if to pause between bytes or something. No normal midi stream ever look like that.

But there are loads of settings in Sonar to pause between bytes so and so etc if receiving end cannot cope. Sonar has a nice sysex manager.

Have no issues with REV2 either which is nice, so may never have to do it.

Apple and MS would have to go back to designing the OS for audio so its support multiple streams of USB audio.

Honestly I don't think it will happen, audio over USB has a lot of difficulties implementing more than one host-device routing. And then you will wait until all HW manufacturers implemented it. Maybe in 20 years.
dedication to flying

Don't forget to make it work with Linux as well

And whatever embedded OS runs on outboard fx units

especially the analogue ones

rod_zero wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:28 pm Apple and MS would have to go back to designing the OS for audio so its support multiple streams of USB audio.

Honestly I don't think it will happen, audio over USB has a lot of difficulties implementing more than one host-device routing. And then you will wait until all HW manufacturers implemented it. Maybe in 20 years.
I used multiple audio streams on Macs without any problem since 20 years. The OS certainly isn’t the problem. But I had Korg drivers break my system. It worked fine without any drivers and suddenly even talked to the same Korg hardware (that was Midi though…). To build class compliant hardware is also no problem for the majority of manufacturers since 20 years…

melodyz wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:16 pm This is only way to make things work. Synth manufacturers, Apple, Microsoft, listen up. The standard should be Audio and Midi over a single usb cable. Plug and play everything works. No more foolin around. And I dont to see more installable server apps, bridge applications. settings menus. Thats so old. When you plug in a mouse to your computer it just works. This should be the standard for audio/midi syncing period.
too depressing.

No thanks. i use an analog mixer + patch bay. I have no need for audio over usb.

I guess it makes sense for some products but turning everything into an audio interface seems like a pita for daw integration. I know Overbridge by elektron works well for some people but analog I/o + a mixer is much more reliable for gigs… especially for someone not playing live with a computer.

Usb audio/midi is a nice feature to offer but shouldn’t replace analog I/o imo.

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:29 pm Because there isnt a single controller or synth out there that's actually a USB host.
Actually, there are a number of them. Korg Kronos/Nautilus and PA arrangers, Kurzweil K2700 and PC4 series, Yamaha Montage/MODX, most if not all Dexibells.

But 5-pin MIDI is still better for professional use. More rugged connection, no susceptibility to ground noises, able to run longer distances (something could be triggered by a bandmate on the opposite side of the stage), and pretty much any 5-pin device can be directly connected to any other 5-pin device. There's also longevity. You can connect a 5-pin keyboard today to a 5-pin device from 30 years ago. USB may well not even be around 10 years from now, just as so many other computer protocols have disappeared over the years.

In general, a tool specifically designed to do a particular job is often better than a tool than can be adapted to do many different things.

anotherscott wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:04 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:29 pm Because there isnt a single controller or synth out there that's actually a USB host.
Actually, there are a number of them. Korg Kronos/Nautilus and PA arrangers, Kurzweil K2700 and PC4 series, Yamaha Montage/MODX, most if not all Dexibells.
mea culpa, cheers for the correction. mostly 'workstation' style i guess?

Should have said 'there are barely any'.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”