Starter bass guitar?

A forum for discussion of all things guitar!
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What’s a good starter bass guitar in the $200-250 range? I play acoustic and electric but I want to get into bass.

DracoBeats wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:03 pm What’s a good starter bass guitar [...]
This question is impossible to answer. Chosing instruments is always down to personal taste. So my advice is to go to a music shop and try some out within your budget. Only that way you can feel how it plays and whether you like it. Even if this means you need to drive 2hrs to get to a music shop, it's totally worth it.

Please report how it went. And don't let me down by never answering and it turns out you only made this post to access the Buy&Sell section ;-)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

As a second bass I got a Harley Benton PJ-74 VW. After adjusting the truss rod which was set all wrong it now plays well and sounds great.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

:hihi:

I have a very cheap Ibanez bass I bought my son years ago, it does the job :shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

For that budget, find a secondhand Squier Jazz or Precision in good condition. People buy them from GC all the time to learn bass, then it sits in a closet collecting dust until they eventually offload them for cheap so they can spend the money on another hobby that they'll also fail to pursue. :hihi: But, seriously, the Squiers are great basses and far better than any new bass you'll find at GC in that price range.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Yamaha TRBX174. Still use one. Although my particular exemplar has a few high frets, it does look solid and still in good shape after 8 years of use.

Just make sure you get one with good frets.

But if I were to start today, I would get a 5 string. They are just better.

cryophonik wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:49 pm For that budget, find a secondhand Squier Jazz or Precision in good condition. People buy them from GC all the time to learn bass, then it sits in a closet collecting dust until they eventually offload them for cheap so they can spend the money on another hobby that they'll also fail to pursue. :hihi: But, seriously, the Squiers are great basses and far better than any new bass you'll find at GC in that price range.
Agree with this. I'd personally stay away from the Squier Affinity series, but if you could find a Classic Vibe or similar series (Vintage Modified) bass within your budget, I'd recommend that. P-Bass is the classic electric bass sound IMO.

If you put in bass guitar into Ebay, you find Glarry basses for $100. I've heard them on Youtube and they sound pretty sweet.

I'd stay away from Squier Fenders as they feel average and sound poor.

I think cheap ebay is where you're going to find the feel and powerful sound.
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

It's not soley about thing s like taste and budget. A full size bass whether a genuine Fender Jazz or Precision or any other full size bass can difficult for a beginner. Any one with small hands, no matter their age, may find a short scale bass like a Mustang or Jaguar/Jazzmaster might be a better starting point. I've played guitar for years but I find a short scale mor comfortable for me.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

CapnLockheed wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:05 pm It's not soley about thing s like taste and budget. A full size bass whether a genuine Fender Jazz or Precision or any other full size bass can difficult for a beginner. Any one with small hands, no matter their age, may find a short scale bass like a Mustang or Jaguar/Jazzmaster might be a better starting point. I've played guitar for years but I find a short scale mor comfortable for me.
I'm a dude, but I've got small hands even compared to women. Short, stubby fingers. Even I can play a P-Bass. :lol:

But I do agree with everything you just said. :P

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:40 am
CapnLockheed wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:05 pm It's not soley about thing s like taste and budget. A full size bass whether a genuine Fender Jazz or Precision or any other full size bass can difficult for a beginner. Any one with small hands, no matter their age, may find a short scale bass like a Mustang or Jaguar/Jazzmaster might be a better starting point. I've played guitar for years but I find a short scale mor comfortable for me.
I'm a dude, but I've got small hands even compared to women. Short, stubby fingers. Even I can play a P-Bass. :lol:

But I do agree with everything you just said. :P
:D :D :D
I can also can play a a P or J and I LOVE a Ricky. There's still another consideration tho.
If you do a lot of studio work short scales are nice to have around for quickly scetching out ideas.....easy to play and, if your control room is space challenged, they give you a bit more breathing room....;)
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Full scale bass is fine for even small hands. You don't generally have to hold down chords with large spans, just one note at a time mostly. Get your swivel on and you'll be fine.

Short scale are fine too, I guess, bit like basses for guitarists who don't wanna learn bass technique. Go great with a pick ;)
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:59 am Full scale bass is fine for even small hands. You don't generally have to hold down chords with large spans, just one note at a time mostly. Get your swivel on and you'll be fine.

Short scale are fine, I guess, bit like basses for guitarists who don't wanna learn bass technique. Go great with a pick ;)
I don't know what you're on about....

rjt60b-5.jpg
:hihi: :love:

On the subject of 4 string short scale basses the Ibanez Talman ones are fairly cheap and always get good reviews.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

To play bass, all you need is to reach 2 frets.

Bass guitar is a trivial instrument. You don't need a "beginner" version of it.

Fender Jazz in particular, it's easy to play and has a very compact neck. You can argue about 5 string basses, because they generally have greater scale length and bigger necks, but even then, all you really need is 2 frets. Arguably, you need less reach to play 5 string bass, because of extra possibilities and generally tighter string spacing.

Seriously, 5 string bass can be really good for a beginner. At least give them a chance.

I have average male hands. Not too big, not too small. Never ever I felt like I need more reach. Compare that to piano, where inability to play 10th is a serious disadvantage (I can play some 10nths but not 11, and my hands span 180 degree angle already through years of stretching). And they don't mass produce smaller keyboards. Now THAT is sad. :cry:. And you don't need to sacrifice the tone to make them smaller.

A short scale bass will be somewhat easier, but they generally sound a lot worse. Short and thick strings don't sound very good in stringed instruments due to innate inharmonicity.

donkey tugger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:03 am
revvy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:59 am Full scale bass is fine for even small hands. You don't generally have to hold down chords with large spans, just one note at a time mostly. Get your swivel on and you'll be fine.

Short scale are fine, I guess, bit like basses for guitarists who don't wanna learn bass technique. Go great with a pick ;)
I don't know what you're on about....

rjt60b-5.jpg

:hihi: :love:

On the subject of 4 string short scale basses the Ibanez Talman ones are fairly cheap and always get good reviews.

:)

Return to “Guitars”