Studio One 6 - Something is afoot (For realz this time)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 am
Sinisterbr wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:07 pmYeah, rather disappointing. They seemed to focus basically in minor workflow tweaks this time.
That's what you do when you have a mature, full-featured product aimed at professionals. That is certainly the stuff that would, generally, tempt me to upgrade.
Yeah, I agree, as I think SO in fact could benefit a lot from some workflow improvement, and not necessarily new features. My point is, for a whole new version, I'd expect a lot more minor workflow tweaks than this.
I'm really well served with V5 and, as you, won't bother spending my money on V6.

I think that the major workflow and GUI overhaul calls for a new full version. I don't know that they could have stuck that in an incremental update to version 5. It gives Studio One 6 a whole new foundation to build from going forward.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

I suppose at some point, a developer needs to begin charging again for updates (unless that software developer is like Image-Line, Bandlab, Xfer Records, FeelYourSound, et al.). A major release (and sometimes a .5 release) is of course when that usually happens. A good indicator of when to announce a new major release is when changes have been made to the product such that backward compatibility cannot be maintained (aka breaking changes). If you can save a project with the updated product such that it still will continue to open up and run in previous builds of the product, it can be deemed a point release (minor or maintenance release). Typically, a major version usually bundles together a number of breaking changes all at once for the release.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Deleted
Last edited by EnGee on Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnGee wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:16 am Is there S1 Artist 6 or only Pro? Any upgrade path from Artist 5 if there is?

EnGee wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:16 am Is there S1 Artist 6 or only Pro? Any upgrade path from Artist 5 if there is?
Yes, and yes.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Say NO to CLAP!

jinotsuh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:40 am $38.57 Artist 5 to Artist 6
https://www.bestservice.com/studio_one_ ... pdate.html
Thanks 😊
This is a great price! I'm in!

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:11 am
summer2000 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:54 pmFor anyone else wondering the same, it looks like we still have double click audio files in the browser to preview.
Just press play in the browser and any/every sample you click on will autoplay.
That would be ok with me assuming I could think ahead and previewed all the audio samples I planned to use in a project all in go. The minute you stop preview to go work on something else on the project and come back to the browser it requires another double click to resume preview. I know it might not be a big deal to you but when you're used to a single click in just about every other DAW it becomes an inconvenience...not the end of the world to use it as is but an inconvenience nonetheless.
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

summer2000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 am I know it might not be a big deal to you but when you're used to a single click in just about every other DAW it becomes an inconvenience...not the end of the world to use it as is but an inconvenience nonetheless.
The microswitch for the left mouse button on my mouse has become faulty such that a single-left-click equates to a double-left-click. Previewing audio files in the Studio One browser might be the one place where such behavior would be acceptable. :hihi:

tonedef71 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:09 am
summer2000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 am I know it might not be a big deal to you but when you're used to a single click in just about every other DAW it becomes an inconvenience...not the end of the world to use it as is but an inconvenience nonetheless.
The microswitch for the left mouse button on my mouse has become faulty such that a single-left-click equates to a double-left-click. Previewing audio files in the Studio One browser might be the one place where such behavior would be acceptable. :hihi:
Hahaha good one :hyper:
Mac Studio M1 Max 10-core CPU, 32-core GPU, 64GB RAM, 4TB SSD | Logic Pro 10.7.5 | Cubase Pro 12 | Nuendo 12 | Studio One 6 | Seagate 8TB external HDD | Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 2nd Gen | Akai MPK261 | Akai MPC X

jamcat wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:22 amI thought of you when Joe showed off the Customization Editor. That's really what you needed. You should sell your Artist version and use the money to upgrade your Pro to version 6.

Then just use the Customization Editor to hide all the stuff you don't want to see.
I'm pretty much there now but what I'd like to be able to do is customise the right-click menus, to make them less cluttered so I can find the thing I need more easily. I've been spoiled by 3DS Max, which has had customisable menus for almost 20 years now. It really is the schizz -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUizvicv8mA&t=4s
summer2000 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:02 amI know it might not be a big deal to you but when you're used to a single click in just about every other DAW it becomes an inconvenience...not the end of the world to use it as is but an inconvenience nonetheless.
I think I would find that more annoying than the way it works now. Other DAWs might do it differently but Windows doesn't, so for me it is more consistent - click to select, double-click to open. A "latch" switch would probably be a good compromise.
EnGee wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:57 am
jinotsuh wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:40 am $38.57 Artist 5 to Artist 6
https://www.bestservice.com/studio_one_ ... pdate.html
Thanks 😊
This is a great price! I'm in!
Do we know how much of what's new in Pro is available in Artist? I've tried to find an updated comparison chart but I get a 404 error on the Presonus site. They use the same install, so it will come down to what they can switch on and off, depending on the license. If the customisation stuff is in there, that would be worth $38, so I could update Artist on my new machine first and see how it goes. Who knows, it might convince me to upgrade Pro on my laptop, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:54 am Do we know how much of what's new in Pro is available in Artist?
It would appear that only the following new Studio One 6 features are exclusive to the Professional edition of Studio One:

Yep, that's everything.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

dlandis wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 pm Those who do work in video I'm sure will like the inclusion of the video lane.
I'd be happy to have a video track in my DAW.

I've never used S1. Does it support SMPTE time code? Can you lock clips to absolute time?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”