Additive Synth VST/AU Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hangars liquides wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:40 pm Virsyn's Cube 2 should not be forgotten !
Cube is already listed on there.

FakeNatty wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:50 am Melda MSoundFactory has that DiscoDSP Vertigo full control of the partials. Up to 64 partials. Incredibly powerful, let's you do per-voice modulation on each partial's detune, volume, phase, panning. So ridiculously powerful that it is quite time-consuming to use. But if someone is looking for that FULL CONTROL for up to 64 partials, MSoundFactory is it. MSoundFactory also has an additive mode in the "Oscillator" module that lets you control up to 256 harmonics, and can control volume and phase of each harmonic
People have a tendency to shun MSoundFactory, and I get it, it's not for everyone. It's one of the most powerful synths out there though, and I actually find the additive section easier to work with than other synths

I got Harmor a while ago, I still haven't figured it out though

YnJ wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:54 am I got Harmor a while ago, I still haven't figured it out though
https://www.malmgren.nl/Harmor.pdf

Unofficial manual but much better than the official documentation

YnJ wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:54 am I got Harmor a while ago, I still haven't figured it out though
This synth is too complex to really understand it - but you don't really have to.

Have you already tried pitch spreading of unison voices?! Questions?

Second most special sounding synth in my setup besides ppg phonem! Underrated today, sounds too unique

shonky wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:08 am
https://www.malmgren.nl/Harmor.pdf

Unofficial manual but much better than the official documentation
Thanks! I'll have a look at that

gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 am Reaktor sinebank:10’000 partials , razor only uses a small fraction of it .
This really shows that N.I. really designed the sine - modal with next gen computing in mind , iow future proof .
How well does Sinebank work the partials and compared with Razor and/or others?
Last edited by Borbolactic on Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:57 pm Hey guys, I am fascinated with additive synthesis (especially the inharmonic kind), and I want to start a thread so that looking up additive synths using the KVR filter wouldn't get tedious.
Here is what I have so far (not counting wavetable synths with additive editors):
  • 2gether Audio RE4ORM (unknown # of harmonics, possibly abandoned)
  • Air Loom II (Up to 512 partials, may be abandoned, requires iLok)
  • Alexander Zolotov's Sunvox (standalone on Mac and Windows, AUv3 on iOS, has inharmonic spectrum module and PPG-like harmonic module)
  • Arturia Pigments 3 (512 harmonics for each oscillator)
  • Synclavier V (12 partials with 128 harmonics each, FM Synthesis)
  • Audiodamage Phosphor 3 (64 harmonics per oscillator)
  • DiscoDSP Vertigo (256 partials)
  • DS Thorn (128 harmonics)
  • Hrast Programmer Tranzistow (1024 harmonics)
  • Image Line Harmor (516 partials for each layer, FL-only, VST can be bought from Plugin Boutique)
  • Harmless (Ditto)
  • Morphine (128 harmonics, ditto)
  • Karma FX Synth Modular 2 (1024 detunable harmonics)
  • KV331 Synthmaster 2 (8 oscillators)
  • Melda MPowerSynth (256 harmonics per oscillator)
  • NI Razor (320 partials)
  • OSS Polyphenom 2 (16 partials with FM, legacy, Windows only)
  • OSS Enterprise (16 harmonics per oscillator, legacy, Windows only)
  • Reason Parsec 2 (512 partials for each layer, Reason only)
  • Rob Papen Blade (99 partials)
  • Ryukau's EnvelopedSine (64 harmonics with independent envelopes and saturation)
  • IterativeSineCluster (Up to 512 partials, 16 base overtones not in harmonic series)
  • Predator 3 (256 harmonics)
  • Quilcom Padulator (16 partials with spread/detuning, Windows only)
  • Seaweed Audio Fathom (128 harmonics)
  • Solcito Musica Arido (10 harmonics, Windows only)
  • Syne (up to 40k+ partials)
  • The WaveWarden Odin 2 (unknown # of harmonics)
  • Tone 2 Warlock (variable # of partials)
  • UVI Falcon (256 partials per oscillator)
  • VirSyn Addictive Pro Synth (256 harmonics per oscillator, iOS/M1 only)
  • AddStation (512 partials per layer, iOS/M1 only)
  • Cube 2/Pro (512 partials, grouped into four zones, desktop version allows for resynthesis)
  • Poseidon (512 partials, abandoned atm)
  • ZynAddSubFX (8 partials, 128 harmonics each, pad engine can be inharmonic, up to 16 layers)
  • PPG Infinite (214 partials, discontinued)
  • Linplug Spectral (256 harmonics per oscillator, discontinued)
Upcoming additive synths include Sumu by Madrona Labs, which has 64 partials with independent envelopes, LFOs, and FM. Martinic, the dev behind the amazing AX73 plugin, is working on a new emulation for RMI harmonic synthesizer.
My suspicion says that Newfangled Audio's Generate is an additive synth, where the partials or sine waves are 'worked on', 'batch processed', 'herded', 'combed' (you get the idea) using evolving/dynamic physical/mathematical models (chaos, fractals, etc.)...

Perhaps the sort of thing you get in 3D graphics/animation programs like for herding, hair dynamics, smoke, steam, particles, fire, water, landscapes, etc..

The code is already there.

See also my second and third comments here:
viewtopic.php?t=587439

From my NA Generate manual (last page):
However, the great pieces of gear from yesteryear are more often than not those that contained new ideas in their time. The reverence we have for these pieces can sometimes turn into fetishism, and mindless re-creation of classic gear can fail to inspire musicians and artists to take new risks. It’s important to make sure artists and engineers have access to good tools that inspire them and don’t stand in their way, but these tools should never be used as a security blanket to stand in the way of an artist or engineers ears and taste.

Newfangled Audio seeks to only make gear that incorporates new ideas. We want to make gear that is great, but only using ideas that others are not. We realize that deviation from the norm might sometimes be objectionable. The Oxford English Dictionary defines Newfangled as "objectionably new"
...Well, how much is truly new and not generally built on top of something that came before?
Last edited by Borbolactic on Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

HunterKiller wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:51 pm
Korg Supporter wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:57 pmMartinic, the dev behind the amazing AX73 plugin, is working on a new emulation for RMI harmonic synthesizer.
Oh wow, really? :o :love:
Where's the discussion on that?
Thanks for mentioning ax73, i just checked it out and im blown away. it sounds really really great. not to hijack the thread but so far i only heard softube and uhe emulations that really convinced me, is there anything else i might have missed? like some other smaller dev that does modelling. also does martinic do sales? very tempted now.

NI Razor's Partials May Be Expandable & Partial-Count Hype
gentleclockdivider wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 am Reaktor sinebank:10’000 partials , razor only uses a small fraction of it .
This really shows that N.I. really designed the sine - modal with next gen computing in mind , iow future proof .
Apparently you can increase Razor's partials, but you need the full Reaktor, not Reaktor Player. (See 'AU5' on You Tube about it.)

Having lots of partials/sines doesn't seem to necessarily mean a good/versatile synth. It's what is done with the partials/sines that also matters.
Imagine having to individually hand/knob-adjust, say, 1000 sines very quickly. LOL

It's maybe also like having a lot of great synths lying around, but not being able and/or willing to make much and/or great music from them.

I took a look/listen to a suggested, Syne synth, for example ('Wow, really? LOL') and it seems kind of lousy, but maybe it's just bad marketing/advertising and it's really a super synth. I'm not hearing that so far though. I guess the demo should be downloaded, but then, how about a decent preset demo beforehand?

Cherry Audio's Sines seems like yet another dud, if less lousy-looking/listening, but maybe it's just the dud-demos so far.
Also making the GUI kind of sine-wavy in spots is kinda cute I suppose and at the outset, but wonder if/how it might impinge on usability.
Last edited by Borbolactic on Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:01 am, edited 7 times in total.

Newfangled Audio's Generate Synth: Additive?
Korg Supporter wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:40 am
Borbolactic wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:11 am ...Which leads me to another secret... I mean, since I'm out of the closet... might as well:

Hypothesis:

Newfangled Audio's Generate is an additive synthesizer (that never seems to get mentioned in the additive synth lists/comments here at KVR. So presumably, then, it is not one. Or is it? And if so, might it kind of function in a similar sense as my previous secret?)
"Maybe you can tell that to the support team at Newfangled Audio." ~ Korg Supporter
From Newfangled Audio Generate's manual:

"3.4.2 Wavefolder
A wavefolder is a type of waveshaping that folds the wave back on itself several times. This creates a rich set of harmonics for the input signal and is a type of additive synthesis originated by Buchla and common in modular synthesis. The knobs control the shape of the wavefolding, and therefore, the harmonics generated. Modulating the wavefolder creates a set of moving harmonics[/b] that sound quite interesting and pleasant...

Wavefolder Type
This dropdown menu allows you to select one of five Wavefolder Types:
1. 259 is a model of the original Buchla 259 wavefolder
2. Animated is based on a warped and animated sine wave
3. Fractal is based on the fractal geometry of a specific mathematical function, it can create a lot of harmonics very quickly
4. Saturate is based on the wave clipper used in our Saturate plugin
5. Bent 259 is an altered model of the Buchla 259 wavefolder using our model bending technique

Drive
The DRIVE knob sets the amount of drive going into the wavefolder.
Folds
The FOLDS knob controls the number of folds the wavefolder is adding to the signal. More folds produces more harmonics.

Mix
The MIX knob controls the mix between the dry input and the wavefolder output.
Symmetry (259, Fractal, Saturate and Bent 259)
The SYMMETRY knob controls the DC offset into the wavefolder, by making the fold asymmetric it can add even harmonics to the output, instead of just odd harmonics. This can sound really great when modulated.
Animate (Animated Only)
The ANIMATE knob controls the animation rate of the Animated wavefolder. This animation is actually a different effect than modulating one of the knobs, but it can still produce even harmonics."
Last edited by Borbolactic on Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Borbolactic wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:18 am
How well does Sinebank work the partials and compared with Razor and/or others?
Razor uses the Sinebank !
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Borbolactic wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:06 pm NI Razor's Partials May Be Expandable & Partial-Count Hype
Apparently you can increase Razor's partials, but you need the full Reaktor, not Reaktor Player. (See 'AU5' on You Tube about it.)

Having lots of partials/sines doesn't seem to necessarily mean a good/versatile synth. It's what is done with the partials/sines that also matters.
Imagine having to individually hand/knob-adjust, say, 1000 sines very quickly. LOL

It's maybe also like having a lot of great synths lying around, but not being able and/or willing to make much and/or great music from them.

I took a look/listen to a suggested, Syne synth, for example ('Wow, really? LOL') and it seems kind of lousy, but maybe it's just bad marketing/advertising and it's really a super synth. I'm not hearing that so far though. I guess the demo should be downloaded, but then, how about a decent preset demo beforehand?

Cherry Audio's Sines seems like yet another dud, if less lousy-looking/listening, but maybe it's just the dud-demos so far.
Also making the GUI kind of sine-wavy in spots is kinda cute I suppose and at the outset, but wonder if/how it might impinge on usability.
Indeed , that’s why you code a framework around the sinebank to control it’s partials .
I did one for 32, 64 , 512 partials all controlled by a mouse sweep function ( click drag ) , smooth and easy
Reaktor sinebank is a complex module that needs preparation .
Or you could use it out of the box and assign a knob -slider to individual partial gain, phase,pitch which is NOT really user friendly ( like melda msf).

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7735/

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7812/
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Awesome-Blossom's Banana-Vector Synthesizer
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:36 am Indeed , that’s why you code a framework around the sinebank to control it’s partials .
I did one for 32, 64 , 512 partials all controlled by a mouse sweep function ( click drag ) , smooth and easy
Reaktor sinebank is a complex module that needs preparation .
Or you could use it out of the box and assign a knob -slider to individual partial gain, phase,pitch which is NOT really user friendly ( like melda msf).
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7735/
https://www.native-instruments.com/en/r ... show/7812/
Understood...
I guess if you were adept enough as errorsmith(?) was in creating Razor, you could do the same or better. But I'll check out your links and take a listen...

...7 years ago... I wonder if you have any audio demos...

How about a 'Harmor', say, in Reaktor, but with the addition of being able to morph, genetically-morph and/or AI-morph (even in realtime where you input different sounds that the computer then morphs/evolves... if there's a lull, maybe the system just runs what it already has until further input like a ping from a glass or pluck from a guitar) a string or collection of resynthesized (open-standard-audio) imports? And make it FLOSS if that's possible using Reaktor.

Better still perhaps, do it in Pure or Purr Data or some FLOSS framework (so that when/if you abandon it, all won't be for naught).
Last edited by Borbolactic on Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just added Alchemy and Akoustic.

Return to “Instruments”