If you're not making your Kontakt instruments/VSTi NKS compatible...

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

...then you're doing us wrong. Get on with the times and make your stuff NKS compatible. We are in the age of affordable 1-4 terabyte SSDs/NVMe drives. People have too much stuff (patches) to browse through these days. Please help us with our first world GAS problems and be NKS friendly. :tu:

Who is we? I don’t have NKS compatible hardware and NKS is far from being a standard… Tell me how it can benefit me… Does it work with non NI hardware?
To be clear, I would welcome a standard, but it should be a real standard, not a means to sell hardware from a single vendor…

No one wants or cares about a standard anymore, because why would developers care about midi or program changes or anything the original creators of midi cared about as a community.
I personally wish there was more of a community driven approach to midi like the old days, I personally love the NKS standard,good luck getting others to see or even care about the vision here though.

Natives NKS gets the same treatment..
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Tj Shredder wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:35 pm Who is we? I don’t have NKS compatible hardware and NKS is far from being a standard… Tell me how it can benefit me… Does it work with non NI hardware?
To be clear, I would welcome a standard, but it should be a real standard, not a means to sell hardware from a single vendor…
Komplete Kontrol is a free plugin. You don't need hardware or additional NI purchase to take advantage of the NKS ecosystem. It definitely needs GUI improvements though.

U-He, SoundIron, Heavyocity, Soniccouture, and many more have NKS ready products. I don't think we have any better option at this point in time. What other system out there has more tagged organization across dozens of developers' instruments, consolidated into one browser?

Komplete Kontrol software is so bad though which is a shame.
I do find NKS useful in Maschine though.

As an S61 owner, I support this message.
The groove baby, the groove...

Is Komplete Kontrol the only software which supports it? If the DAW would support it, it would make sense.
I guess to use it, I first need to load Komplete Kontrol and then KK loads a preset. The advantage would be that KK knows all NKS presets in advance and I don’t need to know which VST this preset is based on…
Disadvantage, it loads an unnecessary software layer.
Without NKS I need to tag and save my favorites myself. In Bitwig this is a snap to do. A real standard for presets would get you rid of the extra KK layer… If my DAW would be able to read the NKS info this would be already sufficient, but first the DAW needs to support it…
On the other hand, if I tag it myself, I don’t get flooded with too many choices.
I do see a use if I would have a dedicated hardware. But for me there is not a single useful one out there. They all have a playing surface attached, which I don’t need as I own a much better one… If I understand it correct, its meant as Midi program change on steroids with pre defined controller assignments. Without hardware it simply does not make much sense…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:39 am
Disadvantage, it loads an unnecessary software layer.
just curious... wouldn't the code be similar whether in a software layer or in a DAW... i.e. both would be a software layer... one is a routine in a program... the other is a sub program... right? they both would have to be called...

Just to load KK needs time. It doesn’t add anything but hosting my sound. I have to pray its bug free. To play the sound it isn’t necessary. It could be helpful for browsing sounds, but if my DAW has a good way to do that why bother…
As I said. If it would be a real standard, the valuable work VST creators put into categorizing and controller assignment could be shared with everybody and not only with hardware users of a single brand… (I am a NI customer btw. but don’t use their hardware…)

Return to “Instruments”