Vember Audio Surge is now open-source

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Surge XT The Sonic Transformation

brok landers wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 pm @evildragon - soooo... sadly i was pretty busy the last year and did not find the time to follow up. just came back to check what's going on with surge. my biggest question - is the feature now perhaps implemented to be able to set the startphase of the oscs? just asking..
Nope... this will happen in Surge XT 2.0, which we hope would happen sometime next year.

baconpaul wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:02 pm
brok landers wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 pm @evildragon - soooo... sadly i was pretty busy the last year and did not find the time to follow up. just came back to check what's going on with surge. my biggest question - is the feature now perhaps implemented to be able to set the startphase of the oscs? just asking...

other than that i can't wait to see what you guys come up with in terms of short cirquit. thanks for keeping on, guys. :tu:
This for an annoying reason is a very hard festure to implement so it is still not in the synth
oh... a shame... well, i'm patiently waiting. :shrug:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

EvilDragon wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:23 pm
brok landers wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:53 pm @evildragon - soooo... sadly i was pretty busy the last year and did not find the time to follow up. just came back to check what's going on with surge. my biggest question - is the feature now perhaps implemented to be able to set the startphase of the oscs? just asking..
Nope... this will happen in Surge XT 2.0, which we hope would happen sometime next year.
oh... that's a looong time... but as i answered baconpaul - i'll patiently wait. :tu:
regards,
brok landers
BIGTONEsounddesign
gear is as good as the innovation behind it-the man

Hi,
I don't know the Surge XT 2.0 roadmap in detail, but I would love to see a live Waveform Oscilloscope in the GUI.. to see what the actual sound looks like (similar to U-He Bazille)..
Is this already planned as a new feature?

Thank you for this great synth!

Peter

BoogyWhat wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:34 am Hi,
I don't know the Surge XT 2.0 roadmap in detail, but I would love to see a live Waveform Oscilloscope in the GUI.. to see what the actual sound looks like (similar to U-He Bazille)..
Is this already planned as a new feature?

Thank you for this great synth!

Peter
The road map is mostly laid out in GitHub issues at least the near term one; and the features are the sum of things people want to do.

In this particular case the stars aligned for your! We had a scope in the xt2 roadmap but a new dev showed up a few weeks ago wanting to do it. So the current nightly has a scope which shows spectrum (not waveform yet) and we are starting to think about how to make it do waveform also and where to place “taps”

Oh also the new surge for rack modules let you use the various rack scopes but that’s if you are in rack

Neither bit of software is production released yet but all our code is always available in nightly form!

Spectrum is more useful anyway… Waveform is to impress the other gender…

Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:33 am Spectrum is more useful anyway… Waveform is to impress the other gender…
I don't think either of these are useful. Being able to see live modulation is more useful. Like in Serum, Vital, etc.

a9k1tp wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:45 am
Tj Shredder wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:33 am Spectrum is more useful anyway… Waveform is to impress the other gender…
I don't think either of these are useful. Being able to see live modulation is more useful. Like in Serum, Vital, etc.
I’ll be sure to share your motivational comment with the dev adding the feature :)

But the idea of “multiple taps” which I mentioned in the waveform view is designed to allow you to probe the signal path at a variety of points, including we hope at the modulation points. There’s a question as always about how to deal with voice level modulators and a visualization, and things like pigments just give me a headache in full on mode personally, but the idea of the scope is to have a window on the oven with many attachment points.

As I mentioned if you find that useful, we are always happy to onboard other devs!

baconpaul wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:30 pm But the idea of “multiple taps” which I mentioned in the waveform view is designed to allow you to probe the signal path at a variety of points, including we hope at the modulation points. There’s a question as always about how to deal with voice level modulators and a visualization, and things like pigments just give me a headache in full on mode personally, but the idea of the scope is to have a window on the oven with many attachment points.

As I mentioned if you find that useful, we are always happy to onboard other devs!
If you're looking to do this, take a look at U-He Hive. It's got a Scope feature that can show both the audio output and the output of several modulation such as envelopes/lfos. Really neat.

Free BassTables for Xfer Serum 1 | 2
2016 Synthmaster Song Contest Winner Presets

Noppes , both have their uses .
Good luck with seeing the phase of a signal on a spectrum view
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

To see the phase I need two oscilloscopes… And only for low frequencies… The ear is better suited to spot phase problems…
Btw. I don’t deny its useful, but often you need the other gender to make the effort worthwhile…; - )
For my part I like to be impressed, be it with music or with technical solutions…
And waveforms just look great, I can even feel the spectrum in a waveform through decades of training… ; - )

empty...
Last edited by synthriffsbabe on Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

empty
Last edited by synthriffsbabe on Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bashing existing work and advertising own effort. Nice combo! :wink:

synthriffsbabe wrote: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:33 pmno person on earth can learn it.
All those preset designers must be ETs then... cool.

I tried to explain that on github but I get banned when I tell my opinion honestly.
Yeah, not to be judgemental but 'explaining' why your opinion is right and everyone else is wrong tends to not end well, anytime. Argue it passionately for sure but trashing others opinions can make you sound like an asshat...

Return to “Instruments”