Best VST synth for drones?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

My favourite is probably Aparillo

Buckster wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:02 pm My favourite is probably Aparillo
Aparillo along with their new Graindad granular effect plug-in is probably a heavenly combination!! Sugar Bytes have created some of the most interesting and esoteric software plug-ins.

They have also been really good at keeping their plug-ins compatible with recent software and hardware updates, specifically native Apple Silicon support. Great company support, which is important to me.

Recently, whenever I think of drones, I automatically think of Dawesome’s Abyss and Novum synthesizers. They are both capable of extremely powerful pads, atmospheres and other special effects.

Vital is another phenomenal choice, especially if you like your sounds to evolve over time. Wavetable synths like Vital, Serum, Pigments, and Hive sound really cool when you program them to slowly scan through wavetables.

Granular synths like Audio Damage’s Quanta 2 would be another good choice where you can import your own audio files. Omnisphere 2 is also recognized as a top drone machine.

Then process the synth’s output through a reverb such as Valhalla’s Shimmer or free Supermassive VST/AU and you can achieve soundtrack-like results very quickly and easily. 8)

+1 yes aparilo, esp with it's "orbit"

and obscurium
https://sugar-bytes.de/obscurium

missing delay lama ;-)

With Abyss you can generate a ton of drones in no time.
https://spektralisk.com/products | Sound libraries for: Massive X, Pigments, Vital, Razor, Kontour and more | Free sounds → Sound Flux

Bitwig (incl. the Grid). I rarely use any of my synths anymore. YMMV.

While I have a Sustain pedal, it's no substitute for a hold/latch button (or anything that lets a synth 'drone on'). Yet, few plugins have it - I wonder if UVI Drone even has it...
Omnisphere has it!
My favorites: Omnisphere, Padshop, Pigments, (Microwave XT, Boomstar SEM, Pro 2)

There is no best... many synths are great for drones

pdxindy wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:37 pm There is no best... many synths are great for drones
especially when combined, helps with that evolving sound ...
different layers playing the same notes, then use automated filters and volume to bring things in and out.

the only limit is your imagination!! :ud:

Has anyone mentioned Lira-8? Well, that is this: https://mikemorenodsp.gumroad.com/l/lira-8

Seems an obvious choice.

Seaweed's Farhom Vector is my unsung hero here.
But any modular or more complex synth would do a gteat job.
Another approach is mangling samples with Padsnop, PaulXStretch and similar suspects.
Even Feedback Loops with inserted FX may not be forgotten.

I just got Forbidden Planet from East West and it has a whole section of pre-set drones, the best I have heard 'preprogramed' if you are not in to rolling your own sounds.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

There is no best, and really a lot of synths will give good drone. But these are some favorites of mine for the job:

- Bitwig Grid or VCV Rack
- Fundamental, maybe with some additional distortion after.
- Two instances of Bitwig Organ in series, with the second one modulating the first at audio rate (drawbar levels, or modulate pitch for FM) and then some distortion.
- Aalto, especially if you set Unison mode and use the Vox modulation source to vary what the four voices are doing (FM offset, pitch, pan, etc.).
- BX_Oberhausen can do some wickedly thick drones.
- Loquelic Vereor for bitey "digital" sounding drones.
- Audiothing Noises, especially if you have some good sample fodder to add to it.
- Phsophor can be interesting and is free now.
- Vital can get wicked crazy with drones.

If I would have to choose just one synth, it would be Falcon. It has insane capabilities for pads etc. And it's not that good for simple sounds, but complicated drones...

Return to “Instruments”