Loomer Architect: A modular MIDI toolkit

Official support for: loomer.co.uk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hmm... that is a curious way to go about it.
I would much prefer that the plugins would instantiate directly in the graph as modules in the manner of Element or Bidule.
I do have a solution to this planned, and it will basically allow you to use it the same way as Bidule and the like.
Sending MIDI to a track seems to have an issue: it sends a thru message through the entire signal path.
You can set in the properties for a mixer object whether it will take MIDI input from the main track input, or from the preceeding node. I know I need to make this clearer as it isn't obvious from a glance where the MIDI is coming from, but I do have plans in the regard.
MIDI learn seems to get stuck if I try it. It highlights everything in purple, then won't let me edit/use anything in the program after that.
MIDI Learn stays on until until you turn it off again, which I believe is generally the standard way this is done in apps; otherwise, it's a bit of a hassle if you're mapping lots of things at once to have to continually enable it. I tend to use the shortcut CMD+M or CTRL+M (depending on your platform) to turn MIDI learn on and off.
How do I edit note lengths in the sequencer? I tried clicking everywhere on the note, then every combination of control-click, alt-click, shift-click etc.
There are several sequencers rows that control note length, such as speed, multiply, and divide. The dropdown box initially showing "Velocity" has these other rows behind it. I think adding shortcuts - as you say, such as CTRL, ALT, or SHIFT - to access the length directly would be a handle addition.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

colin@loomer wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:15 am
Hmm... that is a curious way to go about it.
I would much prefer that the plugins would instantiate directly in the graph as modules in the manner of Element or Bidule.
I do have a solution to this planned, and it will basically allow you to use it the same way as Bidule and the like.
Well, you got me interested :love:

^^^
Fantastic :)
Thanks Colin.

Just to say I came back to the forum to check on progress and Im very excited to see you are working on this again. As someone who isn't great at digging super deep I am looking for to you releasing the presets and elements that can help people like me get the best out of architect. KEEP GOING!!! thanks in advance.

hi Colin,

I suppose that making Architect :love: more like Bidule's modular environment is a major time consuming project. This thread has been quiet for three months now so I stepped in with some noise. :clap:

I have hardly touched Architect but will check it out when the modular project is finished and some presets are available. I am really looking forward to that event. :party:

Thanks Kalamata. Things have unfortunately been rather quiet here development wise too for the past few weeks as I was dealing with a mum-based medical emergency a(fter she managed to fracture a couple of vertebrea!) Everything's fine now, and later today, I'll be heading back to resume normal work hours from tomorrow morning.
Architect, the modular MIDI toolkit, beta now available for macOS, Windows, and Linux.

I‘m really sorry for you and all your family‘s bad medical conditions I have been reading about throughout the last six or seven years. I really know few people that have such a bad luck in this regard. Luckily you always seem to return back to work quite frequently.

Colin, Glad that things are ok now.

Thanks for the well wishes, much appreciated.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:45 am hi Colin,

I suppose that making Architect :love: more like Bidule's modular environment is a major time consuming project. This thread has been quiet for three months now so I stepped in with some noise. :clap:

I have hardly touched Architect but will check it out when the modular project is finished and some presets are available. I am really looking forward to that event. :party:
I much prefer Architect over bidule when it comes to midi.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Architect is superior to Bidule in midi!
Bidule has a single modular environment.
It can contain native midi modules, VSTi's and VSTfx's.
It can even open Bidule inside Bidule.
I can group modules as desired.
This is what I believe Colin is planning on doing with Architect.

@ colin@loomer - what is best place to report bugs? After buying license and using Mac version for a few weeks, I’ve encountered a few issues on Windows (10) standalone.

- Shortcuts for views = Alt + 1,2,3,4,5: Work as expected if Play, Mixer, or Timeline views are in focus; whereas in Graph & Panel views, Alt key gets captured by a search pop up box. There don’t seem to be conflicting Alt + key modifiers in Keyboard shortcuts so I don’t know how to override.

- VST 2/3 plugin windows by default are instantiated with the top of the plugin window cutoff at the top of the display so it’s impossible to move around the screen or close. Only fixes on reboot - happens if plugin window is closed, and still occurs if plugin is deleted and re-added, or when closing/re-opening saved projects either within a session, or after Architect is re-opened. I’m not aware of any setting or init file to tweak this behavior, and OpenGL/native graphics switch didn’t make a difference.

- Very basic question I haven’t found answer either thru using the app or docs - how to switch patterns within a Sequencer tab? :help:

- Not a bug, but I’m curious about the nature of the Lua environment. I’m familiar with Python, JS, Ruby, C#, but brand new to Lua.
~ Does Architect use just a subset of Lua 5.3 or the whole shebang?
~ Possible to load additional additional Lua libs or just the standard?
~ Any notion of namespacing or maybe the better question is - can functions/variables/state be shared between multiple Lua script nodes in the same patch?
~ Any way to attach Lua scripts in an external editor to the Architect Lua process?

Thanks! Overall Architect is fantastic and very promising, looking forward to the next version with examples and more comprehensive docs.
Last edited by Winstontaneous on Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:36 pm Architect is superior to Bidule in midi!
Bidule has a single modular environment.
It can contain native midi modules, VSTi's and VSTfx's.
It can even open Bidule inside Bidule.
I can group modules as desired.
Typo,
Perhaps you meant to write that bidule is superior to architect , because you sum up bidule's features .
Anyway , your milage may vary but I prefer architect ,great selection of ( low level) modules , awesome sequencers , and nice gui elements .
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Architect is superior to Bidule in midi!
But Bidule is no midi slouch.
Bidule has a single modular environment where many types of plugins can be opened.

Hope this explanation helps.

This is a very basic question that I hope somebody could help me with.

I am using Architect as a VST within a host (Kore 2). When I press play on the host transport, I would like Architect to send a note on message for a midi note I select, and when I press stop on the host transport, I would like Architect to send a note off message for that note. I am sure this is possible, but can't figure out how to do it yet (I'm still very new to Architect).

Any help you could provide would be appreciated!

Return to “Loomer”