DrivenByMoss: Bitwig extension for many hardware controllers (version 23.2.1)

Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Maschine

catzilla wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:18 pm Hey,
I'm working on a big update for the Push 2 integration. It aims at improving MIDI clip visualization on the p2 display.
Some features:
higher vertical resolution for finer timing accuracy (256 instead of current 8 )
expressions & operators visualizations (velocity, panning, repeats, recurrence and so on)
drum machine support: notes are named and colored the same as pads in the drum machine
full support for scales (notes highlighted differently depending on how they relate to the current scale). When 'In Scale' is active, notes that are off scale are hidden
folding (i.e. hiding key lanes where notes are not present)
for drum machine, key lanes of empty drum pads can be hidden
synchronization with sequencers with an option to zoom out and in (in the last photo I attached you can see a green frame - that is current sequencer page)
scroll bars (when either of the sequencers is active)
currently playing notes/keys are highlighted, either that are played in clips or 'by hand'
it just looks better :)

There are more features, I just can't remeber them all for now.

I'm going to submit a pull request when I'm done. Now I'm polishing and testing things.
Let me know know what you think guys.
This thing was really damn close to completion, but I decided to update to 4.4.2 first and then to 4.4.3, and figured out that Bitwig devs have completely broken their MIDI clips API. Some notes are just missing, like there is no them at all. omg. 4.4.0 works like a charm.

Please ignore this one!

Of course this was already possible with Sequent + Horizontal

:dog:
----------------
Push 1

Possible for a new Note~Play Mode?

One scale note following the other all the way up, left to right 64 unique* notes

So for chromatic scale, left to right:

Row 1 C to G
Row 2 G# to D#
Row 3 E to B
etc....

For major scale

Row 1 C to C
Row 2 D to D
Row 3 E to E

Ditto for every scale, including non 8 note ones

It would be so helpful to have layouts with only unique notes on every pad

Thanks for your consideration

Hey, I'm experiencing some strange behaviors with the launchpad pro mk3 when I use the drum sequencer.

When I press the red button on the bottom right of the launchpad and it opens the options of the drum rack, then I press note and come back again to the drum sequencer pressing the "chord" button, the pages of the sequencer don't give a correct visual feedback, and the bar | that marks where the sequence is will not give a correct visual feedback as well.

Another weird behavior is when I press cursor up or down + pad to increase or decrease the note repeat. When I press the cursor up or down, even if a hold it, it will change the page of the drums so I can not press cursor + pad.

And finally a request. Would be good if we could enable "Overdub playing launcher clips" and "Write clip launcher automation" at the same time. It would help us to record automations in clip launcher in live performances.

Hope I'm using the right words, I'm not a native english speaker.
Last edited by hadoso on Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm Hey, I'm experiencing some strange behaviors with the launchpad pro mk3 when I use the drum sequencer.

When I press the red button on the bottom right of the launchpad and it opens the options of the drum rack, then I press note and come back again to the drum sequencer pressing the "chord" button, the pages of the sequencer don't give a correct visual feedback, and the bar | that marks where the sequence is will not give a correct visual feedback as well.

Another weird behavior is when I press cursor up or down + pad to increase of decrease the note repeat. When I press the cursor up or down, even if a hold it, it will change the page of the drums so I can not press cursor + pad.

And finally a request. Would be good if we could enable "Overdub playing launcher clips" and "Write clip launcher automation" at the same time. It would help us to record automations in clip launcher in live performances.

Hope I'm using the right words, I'm not a native english speaker.
Hello Jürgen,

I have the same issue with the note repeat.
If I hold the arrow buttom it will jump to another page.

Thanks for your time

banermattou wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:49 pm Thanks a million, those are super handy features. I've experimented a bit with the clip loop editor and it is awesome! I've found a strange behavior when it is set to 1/16th bar though. It is indeed possible to move the loop region with 1/16 granularity, but it is impossible to set the length to anything else than multiple of 4 (4/16th is possible, and the lower value accepted, but 5/16th for example is impossible. When I select an impossible value, it weirdly move the play_end cursor instead. As usual here is a terrible video trying to show the problem.

And when I am in session mode already, pressing the note button does not switch to the loop editor in my case (push one). I need to select another track, and go back to the track (while still being in note mode) for it to activate. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, this is only my humble opinion, but when setting the loop length, it would be more intuitive that while we keep our first finger on a pad, it stays into loop length selection instead of switching automatically to loop start selection when the next pad is pressed. And when selecting the loop start, I think it would be amazing if the previously set loop length would be kept.
Thanks, will be fixed in the next update incl. the selection improvement.

Pabloantxon wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:02 pm Hello,
I have a question about the Flexi script.
As I said in another thread I have made a controller with some encoders and push buttons, and two of them are for selecting the track I'm on. Push right button, select next track. Push left button, select previous track.
The function selected on their slot is "Track: Select Next Track" and "Track: Select Previous Track".
The thing is I can only select tracks, and I would also like to get to the Send FX tracks and Master with these buttons, and they stop at the last track before the Send FX.
So the question is: Is there any other function that I could choose with which I could scroll through tracks, FX Tracks and Master track like I want?
You can either use the separate "FX Track: Select Previous/Next" functions and "Master: Select" (coming in the next update) or use the function "Track: Toggle Trackbank". If you use the later you can toggle between the "normal" and FX tracks and still use the assigned prev/next buttons.

hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm Hey, I'm experiencing some strange behaviors with the launchpad pro mk3 when I use the drum sequencer.

Thanks, will be fixed in the next update.
hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm Another weird behavior is when I press cursor up or down + pad to increase or decrease the note repeat. When I press the cursor up or down, even if a hold it, it will change the page of the drums so I can not press cursor + pad.
That's how it works. To change the note repeat, enable the 2nd pad on the bottom of the extra functions (light blue). Then use the Scene buttons to set the repeat period. Same for the repeat length, use the 3rd button.
hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm And finally a request. Would be good if we could enable "Overdub playing launcher clips" and "Write clip launcher automation" at the same time. It would help us to record automations in clip launcher in live performances.
Yes, automation is still missing. Any ideay were to put it?

DrivenByMoss 18.3 is out!

Get it from https://mossgrabers.de
  • All devices
    • New: Drum sequencers: When changing note range up/down the offset is now shown on-screen instead of the range (which was wrong anyway).
  • APC40, APCmini, Fire, Launchpad, Maschine JAM, Push.
    • New: Added setting 'Start with session view'.
  • APC40
    • Fixed: MkI: Pads in Drum and Play mode did sound wrong notes.
  • Generic Flexi
    • New: Added new functions: 'Device: Toggle Parameter 1-8'.
    • New: Added new function: 'Master: Select'.
    • New: Added several new functions to control layers (e.g. in a Drum Machine).
  • Launchpad
    • Fixed: Record and toggle overdub did not work in Shift view.
    • Fixed: Loop area was not drawn when extra function buttons were active.
  • MCU
    • New: Switching devices or parameter pages shows the device and page name as a notification.
    • New: Control+Jog Wheel - Change loop start (press Shift for fine adjustment)
    • New: Alt+Jog Wheel - Change loop length (press Shift for fine adjustment)
    • Fixed: X-Touch - Notification messages might not be seen due to black displays.
  • Push
    • New: When changing loop length in Clip view, the second pad can now be pressed multiple times without the need to press the first again.
    • Fixed: Changing loop length in Clip view did not work with 1/16th resolution selected.
    • Fixed: Clip view was not selected on startup if an audio track was selected.
Enjoy!

moss wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 6:39 pm

Thanks, will be fixed in the next update.
Thanks for fix it, brother!
hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm Another weird behavior is when I press cursor up or down + pad to increase or decrease the note repeat. When I press the cursor up or down, even if a hold it, it will change the page of the drums so I can not press cursor + pad.
That's how it works. To change the note repeat, enable the 2nd pad on the bottom of the extra functions (light blue). Then use the Scene buttons to set the repeat period. Same for the repeat length, use the 3rd button.
I think you did not understood the problem.
On page 116 of User Manual is wrote: Sequencers
NOVATION LAUNCHPAD
• Cursor Up+Pad: enables and increases note repeat by 1. <---I cant use it
• Cursor Down+Pad: enables and decreases note repeat by 1.<--- I cant use it too
The problem is in this command.
hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm And finally a request. Would be good if we could enable "Overdub playing launcher clips" and "Write clip launcher automation" at the same time. It would help us to record automations in clip launcher in live performances.
I think we could have some options in the controller settings.
Maybe enable launcher automation with the overdub automation.
Or change the behavior of the record or shift+record button.
Or even change the behavior of the play button. In a Live Performance the Play/Stop function is very risk.
All that could be selected in the settings menu.
On this very moment I have the "WRITE CLIP LAUNCHER AUTOMATION" mapped to my Play button, but unfortunately it gives no visual feedback on the launchpad.

And I think I found another bug. When I press the Fixed Length button it should create a new clip with the length set in settings, but in reality it is starting a clip record on the next scene and create the blank clip with the predefined length on the first empty scene of the clip. The two things at the same time.
To reproduce this bug you can not have your "square scene marker" at the top, it must be somewhere else.

moss wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:36 pm DrivenByMoss 18.3 is out!

• All devices
    • New: Drum sequencers: When changing note range up/down the offset is now shown on-screen instead of the range (which was wrong anyway).
  • APC40
    • Fixed: MkI: Pads in Drum and Play mode did sound wrong notes.
  • Generic Flexi
    • New: Added new functions: 'Device: Toggle Parameter 1-8'.
    • New: Added new function: 'Master: Select'.
    • New: Added several new functions to control layers (e.g. in a Drum Machine).
  • Launchpad
    • Fixed: Record and toggle overdub did not work in Shift view.
    • Fixed: Loop area was not drawn when extra function buttons were active.
  • MCU
    • New: Switching devices or parameter pages shows the device and page name as a notification.
    • New: Control+Jog Wheel - Change loop start (press Shift for fine adjustment)
    • New: Alt+Jog Wheel - Change loop length (press Shift for fine adjustment)
    • Fixed: X-Touch - Notification messages might not be seen due to black displays.
  • Push
    • New: When changing loop length in Clip view, the second pad can now be pressed multiple times without the need to press the first again.
    • Fixed: Changing loop length in Clip view did not work with 1/16th resolution selected.
    • Fixed: Clip view was not selected on startup if an audio track was selected.
Enjoy!
Fantastic, I will try this tonight, cheers Moss!

hadoso wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:05 am
On page 116 of User Manual is wrote: Sequencers
NOVATION LAUNCHPAD
• Cursor Up+Pad: enables and increases note repeat by 1. <---I cant use it
• Cursor Down+Pad: enables and decreases note repeat by 1.<--- I cant use it too
The problem is in this command.
Ah, you were talking about the sequencer step area. Yes, there seems to be something broken. Will need to check.
hadoso wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:05 am
I think we could have some options in the controller settings.
Maybe enable launcher automation with the overdub automation.
Or change the behavior of the record or shift+record button.
Or even change the behavior of the play button. In a Live Performance the Play/Stop function is very risk.
All that could be selected in the settings menu.
On this very moment I have the "WRITE CLIP LAUNCHER AUTOMATION" mapped to my Play button, but unfortunately it gives no visual feedback on the launchpad.
Some good ideas in there, will take note.
hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm And I think I found another bug. When I press the Fixed Length button it should create a new clip with the length set in settings, but in reality it is starting a clip record on the next scene and create the blank clip with the predefined length on the first empty scene of the clip. The two things at the same time.
To reproduce this bug you can not have your "square scene marker" at the top, it must be somewhere else.
The "New" command does the following:
- It creates a new clip in the first empty slot (of the selected slot page!) of the currently selected track.
- Clip overdub is enabled
- Playback is started (of the clip)

moss wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:35 pm
hadoso wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:06 pm And I think I found another bug. When I press the Fixed Length button it should create a new clip with the length set in settings, but in reality it is starting a clip record on the next scene and create the blank clip with the predefined length on the first empty scene of the clip. The two things at the same time.
The "New" command does the following:
- It creates a new clip in the first empty slot (of the selected slot page!) of the currently selected track.
I know that. But like I said, it's doing something different. I don't know if you understood me, so I will send a short video.
I think the correct behavior should be create the new clip next to the selected one.

https://youtu.be/8aLSpTxmMgY

hadoso wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:32 pm
moss wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:35 pm The "New" command does the following:
I know that. But like I said, it's doing something different. I don't know if you understood me, so I will send a short video.
I think the correct behavior should be create the new clip next to the selected one.
Thanks for the video, that makes it clear. I looked into it and it either is a Bitwig bug or somehow intentional. Will need to check back with them.

moss wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:36 pm DrivenByMoss 18.3 is out!

Enjoy!
Moss you are the boss ! :party: :clap:

moss wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:46 pm
hadoso wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:32 pm
moss wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:35 pm The "New" command does the following:
Thanks for the video, that makes it clear. I looked into it and it either is a Bitwig bug or somehow intentional. Will need to check back with them.
Brother, I thank you for your excellent work! It's because of your work that I'm increasingly adopting bitwig as my main daw. :clap: :tu:

Have to add one thing to the problem that I show in the video. If I hit a pad on a armed track to start recording the same behavior will appear and two clips will be created. Very strange.

And I want to take the opportunity, if you allow me, to make one more suggestion on how to make this wonderful script even better.

Maybe we could control the operators with the launchpad. That's the only advantage I see in the original mapping over yours.
Perhaps we could use shift for an additional function in sequencer scene triggers to control probability of the notes. :love:

Return to “Controller Scripting”