What are the best reasons to use VST3 over VST2? or should I just use CLAP?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'd say having a fully unencumbered open source audio plugin standard that achieves feature parity with the most relevant current standards is a success in itself.

CLAP will almost certainly see widespread adoption among open source projects, smaller DAWs, and non-DAW software (streaming, audio & video players and editors, voice, sound daemons, ...).

Whether or not big company #23 backs CLAP is immaterial to its success to many millions of people and its ability to continue to thrive.

The world of audio isn't just Hans Zimmer approved DAWs.

Well, and if someone wanted to develop plug-ins that tap into a much larger market, then formats with closed platforms or restrictive licensing stand no chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9pFsI9Cq9c&t=621s

-> go to 621s (10:15)

jamcat wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:13 am Yeah, what CLAP plugins do you use? What DAW do you use them in? You’re making songs with them instead of VST?
Does writing one count?

I wasn't using VST in the first place, because I've never managed to establish a productive workflow in any DAW that only supports VST. I do use AU and I'm aware of its shortcomings — and switching to VST3 would fix exactly none of those.
I hate signatures too.

with bitwig, u-he, surge, and audio damage supporting CLAP going forward these days I'm running more CLAP plugins than VST plugins.

VCV rack pro just added clap support too.

Return to “Effects”