DMG x AFX : ODDSound MTS-ESP Microtuning System

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

filulilu wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:44 pm
Andreya_Autumn wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 am The free one = manage tuning globally instead of per-instance.
The paid version = same as above + changing tunings on-the-fly + MIDI tools to work with otherwise non-compatible synths.
Also with the paid version you can make your own tunings, with the free one you can't
Oh yeah true, at least in the plugin interface itself. You can load your own tunings into it if you know how to write .scl files. But the paid version makes this much more smooth.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:24 pm I guess I'll scoop up the paid version.
Can recommend.

On a sidenote, there are two other companies that make MTS-ESP hosts now. One is called Infinitone DMT, the other is called Entonal Studio.

I have 0 experience of the second and limited of the first, and haven't really felt any need to change that since the ODDsound suite works great for me. I hear good things about the others too though, and they all use the same underlying system so the usage is similar. I think Infinitone may have a slightly more beginner-friendly interface, but you seem to have a good idea what you want to do already, so that might not be a concern.

Again, can highly recommend ODDsound, just thought I'd shout out the others too as a PSA or whatever. :)

aMUSEd wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 1:57 pm That's interesting, it sounds like this would be even better if MST-ESP was built in at the host level, so one didn't need to insert a plugin or create a track at all, you could just set and switch the tuning for a project within the host itself. The only host I know that has global tuning right now is Logic but it's not good for on the fly tuning changes.
Indeed. For the last like 6 months before MTS-ESP was released, I was spending more and more time thinking about how much sense this would make. I still feel like that for sure! Tuning system globally defined by the DAW, with automation to change tunings as you go. Etc etc.

Doing it from a plugin is the closest thing we have for now, and that's not likely to change soon. It's obviously not perfect (tuning changes can't be sample-accurate for example), but it's much much better than anything we had before last year.
It's up to us now to make good/interesting/heartfelt music with it!

If we do, others will gain interest too, and eventually DAW developers will have reason to care. As of now the honest truth may be that they don't, at least from a strictly economic perspective. IDK, just my 2¢.

Andreya_Autumn wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:32 pm
Ah_Dziz wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:24 pm I guess I'll scoop up the paid version.
Can recommend.

On a sidenote, there are two other companies that make MTS-ESP hosts now. One is called Infinitone DMT, the other is called Entonal Studio.

I have 0 experience of the second and limited of the first, and haven't really felt any need to change that since the ODDsound suite works great for me. I hear good things about the others too though, and they all use the same underlying system so the usage is similar. I think Infinitone may have a slightly more beginner-friendly interface, but you seem to have a good idea what you want to do already, so that might not be a concern.

Again, can highly recommend ODDsound, just thought I'd shout out the others too as a PSA or whatever. :)
I went ahead and started demoing the full version. I like it a lot. Don't have the morphing figured all the way out (haven't read any of the manual yet) but it's working great with zebra (which is my go-to synth). I hope NI can incorporate all this into their stuff. Reaktor would be crazy cool using this stuff to control grain sizes and such.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Nicely! Yeah U-He was an early adopter, so those synths should work super well. Can't hurt to write a message to NI and request it! I've never used any of their products so I haven't talked to them, but I'm sure others must have.

Btw, have you got Surge XT? That's the most capable out of the compatible freebies for sure.

I do. I actually have a pretty large amount of synths that support it already. I haven't played with the midi client yet. Aside from not having a great grasp of how the macros work and a couple other things that are less than Intuitive, I'm very much enjoying everything about the full version.

Don't know how I did that...
Last edited by Ah_Dziz on Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

This thing is pretty fun if you wanna have some odd tuning or silly pitch clusters in your jams. Also there are a decent pile of V8 Arturia collection plugins that support this. I'm hoping that someone will write a Kontakt midi script for using the client software (maybe the next versions of NI stuff can just support this natively). I have a bunch of silly libraries that could be made to do all types of fun stuff. I'd love to see bitwig support this for their built in devices too. Honestly even if it stays just TAL, U-He, and the other current supporters for synths, I'll be set. I can always Wang something sample based together in a modular environment if I need something else specific. It does seem that support can be implemented rather quickly to well maintained code, so maybe it will get licensed into some hosts and more plugins In the near future.

Even if they don't add anything else it's my favorite non Equal temperament system (outside of maybe building generative scales in a modular) that I've used. The macros allow for some very useful scoring tricks that used to much more difficult to achieve. Definitely worth a hundred bucks.

Anybody know if this can be run on a raspberry pi?

In our little CLAP workgroup someone hacked a CLAP plug-in that takes MTS-ESP and adds that to Note events… so that in Bitwig anything that follows gets tuned by it - including Bitwig‘s built-in devices. Hope this becomes a real thing :-)

Anything that follows which supports tuning note expressions indeed.

That makes Bitwig a *lot* more appealing tbh. The Grid instrument always seemed interesting to me, and I do need a better live music host, maybe with this addition I'll jump the fence. Exciting!

They don't do sales but i bought this one anyway. :)

demoed it twice and decided i can't live without it

Ok, now lets exchange some ancient alien microtonal scales, Ploki!
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

baconpaul wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:33 pm Anything that follows which supports tuning note expressions indeed.
Does that mean, that a plugin that supports i.e. MPE but doesn't support MTS-ESP (like UVI Falcon) would "support" MTS-ESP tuning?

In the case of Falcon that would be gorgeous since I really miss MTS-ESP with that plugin.

Return to “Effects”