KORG Collection 4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone notice that the minikorg doesn’t save its size and view settings? It’s the only one that doesn’t even though it has a command to save global settings as default and the others don’t.

After trying the new instruments I have to say the prophecy was a nice surprise. Some really cool tones in that. I had never heard or tried one before.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:06 pm After trying the new instruments I have to say the prophecy was a nice surprise. Some really cool tones in that. I had never heard or tried one before.
It's really a very interesting and powerful synth. Many features are top of the line (waveshaping, feedback etc..) even to today's standards. Filter resonance is quite harmonic too.
Last edited by yul on Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

So about the Electribe ER-1, is there any pattern change intended to be used in the DAW? It seems there is no easy automation for this. How will one be using it? Sounds are really neat but can't seem to understand it.

The patterns are assigned to keys in the preset menu. You right click on the pattern name and assign it to a midi key for triggering. I don’t like how it’s set up. I’d rather just get microtonic. Much more flexible, albeit with no fx.

masterhiggins wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:17 pm The patterns are assigned to keys in the preset menu. You right click on the pattern name and assign it to a midi key for triggering. I don’t like how it’s set up. I’d rather just get microtonic. Much more flexible, albeit with no fx.
OK found it..pattern set. Right click on a preset and assign a note. Great stuff, should work.

Cheers

Another alternative is that once done with the patterns to export the MIDI to the DAW and unclick the play button on the main page.

Septic Underground wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:05 am there are some asio updates out now I see in Korg Software Pass
https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/s ... ease-Notes
Thanks for posting this. But ARP is still not stated. I doubt this is my particular problem though since it is there and works as it should on my Win7 machine. Still waiting for an initial response from support on the ticket I opened a couple of days back. In posting here, there's always a hope that another member has found the solution that Korg hasn't come to yet. It's happened before.

I tried to map my SYSTEM8 to the Microkorg and ER1, for some reason they dont support midicc #s higher than 96 or so, zzzz

v1o wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:20 am The Korg Z1 did not sell very well. It made more sense to put in the Prophecy over Z1 as it has more of a legacy and it sounds better. I've compared both side by side and there's something that got lost in translation over on the Z1. The Prophecy just had more balls, they do not sound the same.
Of course they don't sound the same because Prophecy is only monophonic, so they could crank the output more instead of reducing it to have enough headroom for 12 (18) voices of polyphony. DSP algos are mostly the same, the difference is Prophecy has the dual waveshapers which Z1 doesn't. But Z1 has some more elaborate physical models that Prophecy doesn't. And of course Z1 is 4 part multitimbral, which is super nice.

I don't think Prophecy sounds better than Z1 though, having played both.

I hope Korg will come out with a Z1 plugin too. :)

Sorry if it has been asked before, but... is the microKORG in the KC 4 identical sound wise to the hardware?

I tried a few of the factory patches side by side on the plugin and on my all-black microKorg and they sound the same. Maybe the plugin is slightly cleaner and the hardware is slightly more present on some patches, but we are splitting hairs and it can be due to the d/a outputs of the microKorg and my A32 a/d converters (and maybe I didn’t gainstage in a perfect way?) and the soundcard running at 96kHz… or maybe it’s just an illusion… I have a really hard time recognizing which is which, even if listening on isolation (and my system is good - RME UFX+, Eve Audio SC208 and DT-770 Pro). I would not pass a blind test and I doubt I will be able in future (when I’ll have more experience with the plugin).

In my opinion, if there’s any difference, it’s hard to spot on isolation an virtually impossible to notice when going through processing or in a full mix with other instruments.

I think the real difference is the knob behaviour: the knobs on the hardware are stiff, so for example a filter sweep is “slow” because it opposes some resistance and so you indulge more on the lower frequencies when sweeping, while on the plugin the knobs reacts as fast as any other plugin…

Soundwise, the only real difference is, possibly, the overall output level: I often had to lower the hardware output to match the plugin. Maybe my overall gain staging is not perfect or, maybe, the plugin is less hot in order to accomodate the extended polyphony (64 voices vs just 4 on the hardware).

Anyway, if there’s any difference, it’s magnitudes smaller than those between analog hardware and current state of the art emulations, I feel like we are really splitting hairs…
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

sin night wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:57 pm

I think the real difference is the knob behaviour: the knobs on the hardware are stiff, so for example a filter sweep is “slow” because it opposes some resistance and so you indulge more on the lower frequencies when sweeping, while on the plugin the knobs reacts as fast as any other plugin…
You can control the plugin with your HW version, also you can adjust the weight of the controls so that they are moving slower, I was happy that was a setting in the plug, coz the standard setting was way too fast. I use mousewheel most of the time when adjusting parameters.

And I agree, the synth itself sounds very convincing, love it already.

I will have a look to the settings to adjust the weight of the controls; thank you for the tip, I didn't know about that feature.
I actually like a slightly faster response than the hardware... I noticed the difference because I was sweeping the plugin with the mouse and I couldn't match it straight away with the behaviour of the hardware.
Anyway it's not a big deal, just something a tiny different about the whole "experience" that won't be noticed by those who never used the hardware (and can be compensated by moving the knobs more slowly / with less acceleration).

In my setup I probably won't use the hardware microKorg to control the plugin, because it's high on a synth rack behind my chair, so I end up using the mouse or my masterkeyboard when I'm looking at the computer screen...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

So , my brother gave me his old ipad and altough I really dislike tablets for music making ,I couldn't resist downloading the korg ielectribe which is afaik almost 10 years old .
To my surprise it sounds pretty damn good and just as I remember how my electribe R sounded way back , not sure about the square wave aliasing with high settings on the og.
I wonder if the vst is a direct port from the iphone, ipad edition .
Here's a comparison between og and iphone , not my video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grjP5N2If0s
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Return to “Instruments”