Cherry Audio Releases GX-80 Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GX-80 Synthesizer

For those of you who don't have keyboards with AT, this and an expression peddle will do nicely. It's only $59.

https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php

sergiofrias wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 1:03 pm gx-80 lowpass filter is 12db/oct,like the real unit ...arturia is 24db/oct...just saying ;)

EDIT: actually is most like 15db/oct.
The old CS-80 V had a 24 db option, but they removed it from the new emulation. I’m pretty sure it’s a 12 db only now, though I really didn’t check the slope. No idea what the GX filter was.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

According to CA the GX1 was having 9 dB filters.

Chris-S wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:44 am According to CA the GX1 was having 9 dB filters.
It’s odd, I went on the ol’ internet and there wasn’t really much about the slope of either instrument. My first feeling was the GX filter seemed steeper than the CS filter on GX-80. Ultimately, I like a shallower slope on a synth that’s such a pad monster. I also don’t really care that much about accuracy of emulation, as long as the result ends up sounding good. It’s not like I’m sitting around thinking, “Should I get a GX-1 or the Cherry Audio plugin?” :lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

wagtunes wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:58 am For those of you who don't have keyboards with AT, this and an expression peddle will do nicely. It's only $59.

Another option would be to convert the messages in software using something like Cubase's Transformer, or BOME MIDI Translator. Using BOME, you can setup a translator to map Expression to Ch. Pressure, then send it to the virtual MIDI port, have it startup with your OS, and just use that port in your DAW. Basically becomes set and forget and takes like 2 minutes to setup once.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:38 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:58 am For those of you who don't have keyboards with AT, this and an expression peddle will do nicely. It's only $59.

Another option would be to convert the messages in software using something like Cubase's Transformer, or BOME MIDI Translator. Using BOME, you can setup a translator to map Expression to Ch. Pressure, then send it to the virtual MIDI port, have it startup with your OS, and just use that port in your DAW. Basically becomes set and forget and takes like 2 minutes to setup once.
This sounds great except that this technically challenged idiot has no idea how to even begin to do what you just described.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:35 pm This sounds great except that this technically challenged idiot has no idea how to even begin to do what you just described.
They've got a ton of tutorials on YouTube. If you needed help with something simple like that in Bome, you could always PM me. It really is simple, but their interface makes it look more complex than it needs to be.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:41 pm
wagtunes wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:35 pm This sounds great except that this technically challenged idiot has no idea how to even begin to do what you just described.
They've got a ton of tutorials on YouTube. If you needed help with something simple like that in Bome, you could always PM me. It really is simple, but their interface makes it look more complex than it needs to be.
I was going to shoot for Transformer since it's built into Cubase but I'm looking at the interface and just zoning out. No clue what to enter where.

I'll go see if I can find a tutorial on Youtube.

I'm assuming Bome isn't free.

wagtunes wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:15 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:41 pm
I was going to shoot for Transformer since it's built into Cubase but I'm looking at the interface and just zoning out. No clue what to enter where.

I'll go see if I can find a tutorial on Youtube.

I'm assuming Bome isn't free.
See this post regarding Cubase's Transformer:

https://forums.steinberg.net/t/using-tr ... h/119902/3

Bome is like $60 from what I recall. Don't blame you if you don't want to spend the money for something that Cubase already does if that's your DAW of choice. Bome is crazy flexible and can really do incredibly complex stuff. But most people don't need it.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:17 pm
Chris-S wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:44 am According to CA the GX1 was having 9 dB filters.
It’s odd, I went on the ol’ internet and there wasn’t really much about the slope of either instrument. My first feeling was the GX filter seemed steeper than the CS filter on GX-80. Ultimately, I like a shallower slope on a synth that’s such a pad monster. I also don’t really care that much about accuracy of emulation, as long as the result ends up sounding good. It’s not like I’m sitting around thinking, “Should I get a GX-1 or the Cherry Audio plugin?” :lol:
heres some GX-1 filter compared to CS-80 filter modelled in GX-80:

so i used a calculator and i estimated a slope of 7db/oct in GX-1(purple),
and zebra's 12 db/oct (yellow) and cs-80 (red) seems very close so i'd say 12db .
(for reference 6 db is white)
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

On the GX-80, the CS filters are -12db/oct and the GX filters are -9db/oct.
The easiest way to hear the difference is to set the HPF all the way down and the LPF at about mid to apply a little filtering, maybe with a little envelope. Turn up the LPF resonance a bit, play and switch between the filters. You'll find that the GX filter is much more open and buzzier. I much prefer it for things like strings and brass.

Just spent a good half hour grooving on the "Another Trinbute" patch alone. Lovely sounds.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

MarkBarton wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:49 pm On the GX-80, the CS filters are -12db/oct and the GX filters are -9db/oct.
The easiest way to hear the difference is to set the HPF all the way down and the LPF at about mid to apply a little filtering, maybe with a little envelope. Turn up the LPF resonance a bit, play and switch between the filters. You'll find that the GX filter is much more open and buzzier. I much prefer it for things like strings and brass.
Hello Mark ,first of all a big THANK YOU ,for bringing GX-1/CS-80 to life ,i'm having a blast programing new patches ,i've got a few questions, why does the GX-1 filter is actually brighter(9 db/oct), the resources i've found was that it was 12 db/oct like cs-80,according to MOTM-485 the filters are 2nd-order Sallen-Key.
second, when gx-1 filter is selected does the LP feeds HP? or is the same as cs80 (HP to LP)
third ,can it be possible to implement in gx-80 per card adjustment (M Boards) , so it gives a more organic sound,like the original with virtual trimpots :) (a nice place would be in the upper section "vents" )
ps: i like the openess of the GX filter mode <3
ive used them in this video :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0M2Ce5IL9g
thank you !!
...want to know how to program great synth sounds,check my video tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/user/sergiofrias25

I've seen your video and like it very much. Well done.

The GX-1 filter definitely is not -12db/oct or -6db/oct. It's obviously somewhere in between. I used lots of GX-1 recordings to try to match the sound since a schematic of the filter is not to be had. I also based the design on the Sallen-Key topology since we at least know that much about it. I believe the match to the GX-1 filter is very very close and we have obtained approval from GX-1 owners. All attempts to match GX-1 sounds have met with success. Most of these sounds are not possible with the CS filter.

As far as making it sound more "organic", I have absolutely no idea what that means. If by "organic", you mean that all the voices are slightly different, they already are in every possible way.

sergiofrias wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:11 pm heres some GX-1 filter compared to CS-80 filter modelled in GX-80:

so i used a calculator and i estimated a slope of 7db/oct in GX-1(purple),
and zebra's 12 db/oct (yellow) and cs-80 (red) seems very close so i'd say 12db .
(for reference 6 db is white)
Can't open your image but can confirm your measurement of 7 dB / oct for the GX-80 filter in GX1 mode.

Return to “Instruments”