Which LiquidSonics Reverb?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

jens wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:35 am
zerocrossing wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:35 pm Hey everyone, not to put a stop to the discussion, but I decided that I had enough vintage digital reverbs (I've got nearly all the UAD models, as well as the Lexicon ones) so I went with Cinematic Rooms Pro. It seemed like a great all-rounder, which is what I was after.

Did you rule out Tai Chi with this reasoning? It isn't "vintage digital" at all.
No, I liked the sound of Tai Chi, but my budget is tight this year and for what I’m doing it seemed that I’d use CRP a lot more, and I already have a bunch of other good reverb plugins. Maybe mid year I’ll look at Tai Chi again.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

I am unable to find the factory presets location for Tai Chi Lite, which I just bought. Does anyone know if we can access the factory presets folder and where if yes?

By the way, the 10% off discount coupon I received doesn't work for Tai Chi or Tai Chi Upgrade. What a bummer!

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:40 pm ...

By the way, the 10% off discount coupon I received doesn't work for Tai Chi or Tai Chi Upgrade. What a bummer!
Hmmm I assume you tried and it didn't work?

I didn't see that restriction here (unless I missed it)
https://www.liquidsonics.com/upgrades/
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:45 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:40 pm ...

Hmmm I assume you tried and it didn't work?

I didn't see that restriction here (unless I missed it)
https://www.liquidsonics.com/upgrades/
rsp
Yes, I did. I also asked support and they got back to me saying it is not allowed so as to be fair with those who bought Standard edition outright. Standard/lite/upgrade of any product are all considered to be the same line of products and discounts are not allowed for them. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice for sure.

Understood.

rsp
sound sculptist

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:53 pm

I also asked support and they got back to me saying it is not allowed so as to be fair with those who bought Standard edition outright. Standard/lite/upgrade of any product are all considered to be the same line of products and discounts are not allowed for them. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice for sure.
Just trying to understand this..are you saying that you had Tai Chi Lite and therefore had a 10% discount, only you ould not apply it to a Tai Chi upgrade? Or is it something else?
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

ChamomileShark wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:06 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:53 pm

I also asked support and they got back to me saying it is not allowed so as to be fair with those who bought Standard edition outright. Standard/lite/upgrade of any product are all considered to be the same line of products and discounts are not allowed for them. Not a big deal, but it would have been nice for sure.
Just trying to understand this..are you saying that you had Tai Chi Lite and therefore had a 10% discount, only you ould not apply it to a Tai Chi upgrade? Or is it something else?
I bought Tai Chi Lite and received my (first) 10% off coupon. This coupon doesn't work for Tai Chi Full or Tai Chi Upgrade if I add them to the cart. It works for other LS products though. I just took a chance and thought to use Tai Chi Lite for a bit and see if it is sufficient. I might buy the Tai Chi Upgrade a bit later if needed since overall it will still be $99 as if purchasing Tai Chi full outright.

Just make sure you do it before the sale ends.
So far their sales are really once a year.
rsp
sound sculptist

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:41 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:14 pm I watched Tai Chi (full/standard) walkthrough video and now it makes me want it more than Lite. It's not as daunting as I originally thought and the advanced controls actually seem to be very useful. Also, there are 200 more presets than Lite, which should make things easier.

https://vimeo.com/744916251?embedded=tr ... =115984801
Buying Lite first and then upgrading to the Standard version using the 10% loyalty discount will provide a $7 saving compared to buying the Standard version outright for $99. It will also give some time to make the upgrade decision, as there are about 11 days still left in the sale.

This might be the most I would be spending for a single effect plugin ever, but I think it deserves it. After checking out demos of other LS/RF plugins, I think Tai Chi alone should be more than enough for me. It sounds the most impressive to me and also the GUI is absolutely gorgeous.
TC is a great general purpose reverb with a "vintage" flair. Lots of flexibility and depth. Lustrous Plates can do better plates, though. If you want to use 3rd party IRs plus get the M7 and Lexicon IRs as part of it, Reverberate 3 is a fantastic deal.

HDCart and Seventh Heaven are emulations, so, unless you want/love the originals, they aren't "needed".

Cinematic Rooms is more realistic (but can also have some color) and beautiful to my ears - but can't get wild like TC.

And then there's Illusion.

Generally speaking, the full versions are noticeably better than the standard ones - even if you work in stereo rather than surround.

This guy isn't my favorite presenter, but he does a good job of giving a detailed overview of Tai Chi
https://youtu.be/Zbdbo7kiDUk
By the way, what are all the "vintage reverbs" people are mentioning? Guess it's about clean/realistic sounding vs colourful reverbs?

So, for example, one would choose Cinematic Rooms for a cleaner sounding reverb and compliment it with Tai Chi for a more colourful/vintage sounding reverb?
Vintage = Lexicon, for example (among others).

Yes, Cinematic rooms (esp Pro) aims for realism, but you can add some modest color to it. TaiChi aims to be a flexible reverb, and can sound realistic or unrealistic. Cinematic Rooms can't have as much color to it as TaiChi can, and TaiChi isn't as good a realistic rooms and halls (etc) as Cinematic Rooms.

There's some overlap. TaiChi is the most flexible of the two, and is a very solid choice. If you were going to compliment it with another from Liquidsonics to get the most for your money, I'd suggest Lustrous Plates as having the least amount of overlap, or Reverberate 3 if you want to get into using IRs (including several fantastic sets that are included).

If I was limited to one and only one reverb, I'd use Cinematic Rooms Pro. Thankfully, I can also use TaiChi and Lustrous Plates Surround (I only work in stereo - the top-end version generally give a lot more control), plus have several others in my "less used" reverb sub-folder.

But it really comes down to using the demos and using your ears to see what they love the most, not your wallet (which also factors in, of course).

vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:25 am Their reverbs are actually pretty straightforward, except for Illusion - which should be retired or updated and given a better focus now given the rest of the portfolio.
Hard disagree. Illusion is the one that can go further out there than any of the others. The others are emulating specific spaces or devices, while Illusion creating raw IRs of spaces that don't or can't exist.

Stop thinking of it as something for space design, start thinking of it as something for sound design,

My preference:
Cinematic Rooms Pro
Illusion

That's it. I have all the others, but once I put something into CRP I'm usually done. Illusion is for making crazy sounds.

dangayle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:08 pm
vitocorleone123 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:25 am Their reverbs are actually pretty straightforward, except for Illusion - which should be retired or updated and given a better focus now given the rest of the portfolio.
Hard disagree. Illusion is the one that can go further out there than any of the others. The others are emulating specific spaces or devices, while Illusion creating raw IRs of spaces that don't or can't exist.

Stop thinking of it as something for space design, start thinking of it as something for sound design,
Stop thinking of it as sound design and start thinking of it as a product portfolio. That’s what I was talking about - the experience of shopping for and trying their reverbs. Illusion is a fine reverb unto itself.

My favourites are Lustrous Plates and Cinematic Rooms. I now have the Pro/Surround versions of both thanks to Liquidsonics loyalty system on top of the current sale. The way the discounts stack for return customers is awesome!

zvenx wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:15 pm Just make sure you do it before the sale ends.
So far their sales are really once a year.
rsp
Yes, I will. I have a browser tab open for it until I take the decision/sale ends. Thanks.
vitocorleone123 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:31 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:57 am
vitocorleone123 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:41 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:14 pm I watched Tai Chi (full/standard) walkthrough video and now it makes me want it more than Lite. It's not as daunting as I originally thought and the advanced controls actually seem to be very useful. Also, there are 200 more presets than Lite, which should make things easier.

https://vimeo.com/744916251?embedded=tr ... =115984801
Buying Lite first and then upgrading to the Standard version using the 10% loyalty discount will provide a $7 saving compared to buying the Standard version outright for $99. It will also give some time to make the upgrade decision, as there are about 11 days still left in the sale.

This might be the most I would be spending for a single effect plugin ever, but I think it deserves it. After checking out demos of other LS/RF plugins, I think Tai Chi alone should be more than enough for me. It sounds the most impressive to me and also the GUI is absolutely gorgeous.
TC is a great general purpose reverb with a "vintage" flair. Lots of flexibility and depth. Lustrous Plates can do better plates, though. If you want to use 3rd party IRs plus get the M7 and Lexicon IRs as part of it, Reverberate 3 is a fantastic deal.

HDCart and Seventh Heaven are emulations, so, unless you want/love the originals, they aren't "needed".

Cinematic Rooms is more realistic (but can also have some color) and beautiful to my ears - but can't get wild like TC.

And then there's Illusion.

Generally speaking, the full versions are noticeably better than the standard ones - even if you work in stereo rather than surround.

This guy isn't my favorite presenter, but he does a good job of giving a detailed overview of Tai Chi
https://youtu.be/Zbdbo7kiDUk
By the way, what are all the "vintage reverbs" people are mentioning? Guess it's about clean/realistic sounding vs colourful reverbs?

So, for example, one would choose Cinematic Rooms for a cleaner sounding reverb and compliment it with Tai Chi for a more colourful/vintage sounding reverb?
Vintage = Lexicon, for example (among others).

Yes, Cinematic rooms (esp Pro) aims for realism, but you can add some modest color to it. TaiChi aims to be a flexible reverb, and can sound realistic or unrealistic. Cinematic Rooms can't have as much color to it as TaiChi can, and TaiChi isn't as good a realistic rooms and halls (etc) as Cinematic Rooms.

There's some overlap. TaiChi is the most flexible of the two, and is a very solid choice. If you were going to compliment it with another from Liquidsonics to get the most for your money, I'd suggest Lustrous Plates as having the least amount of overlap, or Reverberate 3 if you want to get into using IRs (including several fantastic sets that are included).

If I was limited to one and only one reverb, I'd use Cinematic Rooms Pro. Thankfully, I can also use TaiChi and Lustrous Plates Surround (I only work in stereo - the top-end version generally give a lot more control), plus have several others in my "less used" reverb sub-folder.

But it really comes down to using the demos and using your ears to see what they love the most, not your wallet (which also factors in, of course).
Solid advice, thanks for your time and help. Tai Chi indeed seems to be the best sweet spot for me right now.

Apart from Tai Chi, I demoed some others too, and I liked Illusion next. However, I will skip it for time being and just be content with Tai Chi, which itself was an unplanned purchase this Black Friday season. If at all I get one more discount coupon and can stack it to get another reverb in the next few days, I will look at one between Lustrous Plates, Illusion, Reverberate 3 and Cinematic Rooms.

For now, I will go with both my ears and wallet. :tu:

dangayle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:10 pm My preference:
Cinematic Rooms Pro
Illusion

That's it. I have all the others, but once I put something into CRP I'm usually done. Illusion is for making crazy sounds.
I’ve got a few of great reverbs for making crazy sounds. Blackhole, B2, and I’ll probably pick up Big Sky this Christmas. I was hoping for a sale… evidently not from Strymon this year. I’m sure Illusion is great, but from looking at the basic specs, it doesn’t seem to have the special effect type things that Big Sky has.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Effects”