Arturia Minifreak Polyphonic Hybrid Keyboard Synthesizer

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS
loachm
KVRAF
2199 posts since 2 Jan, 2003 from right here...

Post Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:30 am

...solidtrax, I really like and appreciate your efforts to film and write about the Minifreak. It's been a long time, since I've been that excited about a music product - apart from some cheap hardware in the late 90s, I've only used software and controllers since then, but was always looking at hardware synths. Fortunately, in the last 20 years, affordability and availability has increased immensely, but, ultimately, I always decided against getting any hardware synths, as I found them too impractical in comparison to softsynths (while being annoyed all the time by their limited physical accessibilty). The Microfreak has always been very appealing to me as a fun getaway/gateway thing, but still I thought, Arturia could do more with it, so I'm glad they did now.

The Minifreak still isn't available at my prefered dealers, but I think, I'll wait until the plug-in is available (hopefully with a wavetable update and the sw/hw communication in place). So, if and when you can (NDA etc.), please, tell also, how it behaves as a hybrid system and where short-comings might be (limited hardware access to the software or software controls not enabled for automation - please, none of that... :roll: )

Really hope, it'll start a trend - Pigments, OG Massive or Hydrasynth - these could be some interesting candidates for hybrid systems.

solidtrax
KVRian
642 posts since 6 Nov, 2011 from The Netherlands

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:48 am

loachm wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:30 am ...solidtrax, I really like and appreciate your efforts to film and write about the Minifreak. It's been a long time, since I've been that excited about a music product - apart from some cheap hardware in the late 90s, I've only used software and controllers since then, but was always looking at hardware synths. Fortunately, in the last 20 years, affordability and availability has increased immensely, but, ultimately, I always decided against getting any hardware synths, as I found them too impractical in comparison to softsynths (while being annoyed all the time by their limited physical accessibilty). The Microfreak has always been very appealing to me as a fun getaway/gateway thing, but still I thought, Arturia could do more with it, so I'm glad they did now.

The Minifreak still isn't available at my prefered dealers, but I think, I'll wait until the plug-in is available (hopefully with a wavetable update and the sw/hw communication in place). So, if and when you can (NDA etc.), please, tell also, how it behaves as a hybrid system and where short-comings might be (limited hardware access to the software or software controls not enabled for automation - please, none of that... :roll: )

Really hope, it'll start a trend - Pigments, OG Massive or Hydrasynth - these could be some interesting candidates for hybrid systems.
Hi, thank you for your nice words loachm!

MiniFreak V and the latest firmware just dropped. Perhaps this will answer your questions: https://www.arturia.com/products/hardwa ... minifreakv

I think you will be pleased tbh. Enjoy! :party:
Untold Stories Vol.1 - 64 Arturia MiniFreak presets
Analog History - 84 Behringer DeepMind 6/12/12D presets
Earth & Stars - 139 Free Patches for SuperMassive
Website

SpartanNoble
KVRer
14 posts since 18 Nov, 2022

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:58 pm

solidtrax wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:48 am MiniFreak V and the latest firmware just dropped. Perhaps this will answer your questions: https://www.arturia.com/products/hardwa ... minifreakv

I think you will be pleased tbh. Enjoy! :party:
Too bad that only hardware users can use the plugin.

Hope that Arturia will also release the plugin for separate use :clap:

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
11587 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:09 pm

Interested to know the score if you sell the minifreak hardware on are you still ok to keep the plugin licence.

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Constructed Identity
KVRist
385 posts since 29 Sep, 2012 from Minneapolis, MN

Post Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:10 pm

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:09 pm Interested to know the score if you sell the minifreak hardware on are you still ok to keep the plugin licence.
Yea, obvious question since it is "like for like", wouldn't you just use software if that is what you are more familiar with? Is this Arturia's version of Roland's System 8??
Will people just 'rent' the hardware to get the software?

db3
KVRAF
2894 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 am

Minifreak V is tied to the hardware registration. i.e. it's not listed as a separate product in your account. The hardware registration makes it appear in software center. If you wanted to sell the hardware you'd need to deregister from your Arturia account which I assume would deactivate the soft. Firmware update is also handled through the software version.

WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
11587 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:30 pm

Nice to know they’ve crippled it on purpose.

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

trusampler
KVRAF
1631 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:41 pm

I'm definitely buying this synth! Incredible sound
Cpu:Win10/Intel Core i9-10900K|Win11/Intel i9-12900K
Interface:Slate VMS/Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core/UA Apollo Rack/SSL UF8+UC1
Synths:ASM Hydrasynth Deluxe/Roland/Juno 60/106/Fantom7/Deepmind 12/Hologram Microcosm/Akai Mpc

muki
KVRian
1300 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:39 pm

db3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 am […] The hardware registration makes it appear in software center. […]
uhm...no...:
i do not have the hardware (and do not have it registered) but
nonetheless i can see minifreak in arturias software center
i can download and install it (massive 560MB (without AAX))
it opens and can be tweaked but unfortunately remains silent (i.e.: without sound)

db3
KVRAF
2894 posts since 22 Aug, 2012

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:18 pm

muki wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:39 pm
db3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:36 am […] The hardware registration makes it appear in software center. […]
uhm...no...:
it opens and can be tweaked but unfortunately remains silent (i.e.: without sound)
Oh ok, in that case I assume the hardware registration is what allows it to be activated.

muki
KVRian
1300 posts since 14 Jul, 2018

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:21 pm

db3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:18 pm Oh ok, in that case I assume the hardware registration is what allows it to be activated.
yes
and i think it kinda makes sense:
they have to offer it in their softwarecenter
it's free for registered owners of the hardware
without registration it runs as demo without soundoutput
(kinda same like a regular arturia-demo after 30 minutes...)

Constructed Identity
KVRist
385 posts since 29 Sep, 2012 from Minneapolis, MN

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:37 pm

db3 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:18 pm
muki wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:39 pm
uhm...no...:
Oh ok, in that case I assume the hardware registration is what allows it to be activated.
They probably have a hardware detect test set up on opening the software.
I think the combination is deliberate to lure software-only people into the hardware and is a smart move. I think the Minifreak would make a great first synth for anyone from what I've seen.

zvenx
KVRAF
11875 posts since 16 Feb, 2005 from Kingston, Jamaica

Post Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:54 pm

They might even sell this as a plugin after the current sales are over.
rsp
sound sculptist

SLiC
KVRAF
9680 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:30 am

They will definitely sell the plug in, there is already a buy button that goes to a 404 page (which is a bit sloppy), I think they just wanted to give it to the hardware purchasers first…not sure how long they plan to wait…but I don’t think it will be long, it’s easy money for Arturia as it’s the people who don’t own the hardware that really want this!
PC + S49, S1, BWS, Live+PUSH, FL Studio, Reason, X32 Desk, Osmose, Summit, Hydrasynth, Pro 3, P8, Argon8, Syntakt, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack + OXI One, EARE Touch, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals (Zoia, Beebo)

aMUSEd
KVRAF
34190 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:38 am

SLiC wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:30 am They will definitely sell the plug in, there is already a buy button that goes to a 404 page (which is a bit sloppy), I think they just wanted to give it to the hardware purchasers first…not sure how long they plan to wait…but I don’t think it will be long, it’s easy money for Arturia as it’s the people who don’t own the hardware that really want this!
They have to be careful though that the plugin doesn't undermine sales for the hardware - so I don't think it will be software only for a good while yet - eventually yes, probably. With the hardware it's an added value, but selling it on its own I can see some people thinking if they just use it with a decent midi controller they would probably be 90-95% able to do what the hardware could do so why bother with the hardware as well.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”