BF Anti-Consumerism Solidarity Thread [Today is: Sucker's Sunday]

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

yah PA got me too on a BrainWorx eq,
will try some subtle flavour on a track or 2

80% off or so

I am really seeking content too

That's interesting about carnelian.
My jest was a play on carnal,
with joke fancying inferences in the conversation

Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:34 pm
nix808 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:43 pm Might demo Needlepoint as well but I think I'll be pairing Warble with Big Al. We'll see what my ears tell me to do.
Needlepoint pulled me in. Really didn't think I needed it (despite liking creaky old sounds, thanks Portishead) but it's a) very good at what it does and b) open to abuse, some nice noises can be got from it.

nix808 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:43 pm must be a carnelian ring
-vurt needs a good tempting
8D
vurt is far too easily tempted.
hasnt learned how to say "no" when offered, pretty much anything :shrug:

the vst apple tree is really in fruit at this time of the year
-I don't think it is disobeying God, didn't catch his negatory command yet

GaryG wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:14 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:34 pm Might demo Needlepoint as well but I think I'll be pairing Warble with Big Al. We'll see what my ears tell me to do.
Needlepoint pulled me in. Really didn't think I needed it (despite liking creaky old sounds, thanks Portishead) but it's a) very good at what it does and b) open to abuse, some nice noises can be got from it.
So are we going to post some temptation videos or what? I mean, you're not going to suck the devoted into your evil scheme with just your words, knowhwatimsayin?

nix808 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:43 pm yah PA got me too on a BrainWorx eq,
will try some subtle flavour on a track or 2

80% off or so

I am really seeking content too

That's interesting about carnelian.
My jest was a play on carnal,
with joke fancying inferences in the conversation
Ah. I thought I could feel air rushing over the top of my head. Felt good though.

Originally I was going to say something like, "Call me Arby's" - but I decided it was time to dial it back a notch.

GaryG wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:14 pm
Unaspected wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:34 pm
nix808 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:43 pm Might demo Needlepoint as well but I think I'll be pairing Warble with Big Al. We'll see what my ears tell me to do.
Now I'm especially confused. Am I replying to posts I made in the future? Shouldn't have been rubbing against vurt's time travelling pants.

I do like Portishead and a number of other things mentioned so it could have been me.

vurt wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:17 pm
nix808 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:43 pm must be a carnelian ring
-vurt needs a good tempting
8D
vurt is far too easily tempted.
hasnt learned how to say "no" when offered, pretty much anything :shrug:
It's a sure thing. :hyper:

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:47 pm So are we going to post some temptation videos or what? I mean, you're not going to suck the devoted into your evil scheme with just your words, knowhwatimsayin?
Probably not immediately. But I am about to download those things to demo and then I'm making breakfast. :D

I'll write a little something though. :)

Already sold on Warble going in because I'd like to produce some witch house some time soon and that seems perfect. Might also pair nicely with a chorus effect for a little extra.

Okay. Initial impressions in order of demoing. So far only used on 909 drums - still need to try on vocals, pads and full mix.

Big Al: Wasn't as impressed as I hoped to be. I've read so much hype and checked out the video demos but I thought maybe I was missing something in those videos. It's not bad but it's also not difficult to get close or better using other plugins.

The best thing about it is the filters. It does add some nice bass punch when not driven. However, it's overdriving the unit that left me feeling a little disappointed.

Warble: Much more impressed than I expected - especially as I was using it on percussive sounds. Obviously the warbling isn't so pronounced on 909s but the tonal range of this plugin is impressive. Considering it distorts, this is actually more what I hoped from Big Al.

I love the filters on this thing as well. Would have liked to be able to turn the noise up higher.

Needlepoint: Eh. Very much underwhelmed. And this is the kind of thing I expected to work well with drums. It can do a few interesting things but I can't help but feel it's a noise shaper with only one noise source. I'd like to be able to feed it any noise - that might make it worth it. But I have Reaktor.

I never felt like I was listening to vinyl. It seems more geared towards adding artefacts than shaping tone. Though some of the compression algorithms sound alright and work well within the product.

One trick I quite liked was boosting the deep bass, getting a really messy bass rumble going on and then mixing that back into the drums. That sounded quite nice.

Oh and I quite liked that it could be made to sound like someone struggling to get out of a bin bag.

So I guess I'm still looking for one more plugin. Will try the rest of the Neold stuff.

Unaspected wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:17 am Needlepoint ... It can do a few interesting things but I can't help but feel it's a noise shaper with only one noise source.
Yeah, that's my one big criticism, wish it had more noise choices. They do this with LO-FI-AF too, just a couple of noise choices, vinyl, tape or cell phone I think.

It's easier enough of course to just layer these kind of noises against a track but I found this freebie is quite tidy, lots of different noises (multiple vinyls, tapes, foleys sounds etc) if you don't want to maintain a library: https://clarkaudio.com/textures/

GaryG wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:24 am
Unaspected wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:17 am Needlepoint ... It can do a few interesting things but I can't help but feel it's a noise shaper with only one noise source.
Yeah, that's my one big criticism, wish it had more noise choices. They do this with LO-FI-AF too, just a couple of noise choices, vinyl, tape or cell phone I think.

It's easier enough of course to just layer these kind of noises against a track but I found this freebie is quite tidy, lots of different noises (multiple vinyls, tapes, foleys sounds etc) if you don't want to maintain a library: https://clarkaudio.com/textures/
That's quite a nice find. It's free so I might as well check it out. Though I have quite a textural library that I've recorded, I imagine there will be some things in there that I haven't created for myself yet.

I did download the other two Neold plugins and was more impressed by them. Still just using the same 909 input, I was surprised that the v76u73 could do some pleasant thing to it as that isn't really what it's for. I do have some nice vari mus that do smooth compression but there's something about the filters and that linear switch that make it quite unique. I was quite impressed with what it can do to snares.

The U17 has some lovely tones and a healthy range of diversity. It can really thicken up drums and add distortion that I don't believe I have in other plugins. It probably pairs nicely with Big Al in parallel: With the U17 giving body and Big Al adding punch to the low end.

This doesn't mean that I've forgiven Big Al.

Today is: “Screw it maybe I can still get some good deals!” Sunday.

Just sayin’ lol.

i need Help wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:28 am Today is: “Screw it maybe I can still get some good deals!” Sunday.

Just sayin’ lol.
:hihi:

I was hoping some stuff that I wanted to buy as Christmas presents might be on sale but I'm also worried about the state of the postal service (?) in the UK. So I think I'm losing my nerve and am going to have to just get all the extra presents soonish.

The PA stuff is the last I buy anything for myself this year, I think. Unless Audiority bring out a RAT. I would be powerless against that.

The anguish continues.

So. Big Al is forgiven. As I suspected, it very much depends on the source material. Just applied it to some dark acoustic drums and bass guitar. Very nice results. Definitely easy to hear the 3D effect that people are talking about - though I suspect that might be because it's pulling up the reverb level that was baked into the recording.

That bass end on Big Al is nice though. Really beefs up toms. So I can see a use for this. Much less farty than it was on the 909 drums, even when pushed - though I'm still not crazy about how it breaks up. Sounds a little too simplistic. Maybe it's just that kind of valve/tube and I'm wanting it to go beyond warming when it's really not intended for that.

However, I feel more torn between the U17 and the V76U73. Whilst the former definitely does some very nice distortion, the latter is doing something very pleasant that I can't fully define. Though the U17 can be pushed into a delicious NYC soup with plenty of control over motion and tone.

All the Neold plugins work together nicely. Though, when switching them in and out and swapping the order about, this is when Big Al got the boot again. However, I kinda want it just for tom processing. Big Al has a massive bottom and he's proud of it.

i need Help wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:28 am Today is: “Screw it maybe I can still get some good deals!” Sunday.
Or "So when do the Christmas Sales Start?" Sunday.

teehee
Vurt and Unaspected up an apple tree
K.I.S.S.I.N gee

I didn't want to pitch as low as the Vurt box
(Vurtbox is a VST)

yah the carnelian reference was obfuscated, it is a cosy confusion though I hope

nix808 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pm teehee
Vurt and Unaspected up an apple tree
K.I.S.S.I.N gee
:oops:
:hihi:

nix808 wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pmI didn't want to pitch as low as the Vurt box
(Vurtbox is a VST)

yah the carnelian reference was obfuscated, it is a cosy confusion though I hope
Of course. Educational, even.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”