One Synth Challenge #166: Wave Manuel (mmGhost Wins!!!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just started messing with it, this synth is awesome. The main thing it needs is a envelope modulator for pitch (would make percussion it great for percussion). I love the interface (not design-wise, but for making sounds intuitively).

I can see using this as a launchpad for coming up with ideas that I can then put into like Dune or Pigments or something to add more/different modulation.
Last edited by briefcasemanx on Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm struggling to get a good strong kick sound out of it. I can get some OK noise with with saturation + FM, & filter all the way up, which is emphasized with decay at 100%. But I'm unsure how much we can twist this into a kick. Best I can do is got a "glitchy" sound and do a lowpass EQ playing a C-2. Can we use transient shapers? (e.g. free kHs transient shaper)

] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:25 pm ++++ Submission ++++

Who said, that you cannot do drums/percussions with it? Okay It's not perfect, but I think my rhythm section is not to bad... enough for ending up where I end up in the line up.

Details will follow:
Great work Peter. Inspiring that drums are possible. What are you going to do with the rest of the month? :D
Captain Silverpants

TheNeverScene wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:04 am The synth crashed Reaper pretty quick, but seems to have magically stabilized itself and hasn't crashed again (knock on wood)

It's a weird little thing, but I'm liking it's timbres. Got a little old school r&b wip started.
https://soundcloud.com/the-never-scene/ ... al_sharing
Sweet. Are those drums from Wave Manuel?
Captain Silverpants

Okay, now I wish it had a pitch envelope modulator, AND an envelope for the LFO's (maybe right click on them and an envelope pops up). Then it would be a perfect little synth!

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:01 am The main thing it needs is a envelope modulator for pitch (would make percussion it great for percussion).
Percussion Recipe 1: Frequency Modulation kind of "equivalent" to pitch modulation ... with some good understanding of what you're doing in FM ... percussion of my track is a combination of FM and Filter meticuously crafted and tweaked in a many days process... ha ha ha ... more like minutes.

Percussion Recipe 2: Use Filter Env and Rezo

Percussion Recipe 3: Tweak The Waveform in a way where it only has tiny peaks, then add FM with LFO freq set to max ... then find the right multiplier and divider settings to come close to a.) noise for a snare and b.) metalic sound for cymbals
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

silverpants wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:36 am
] Peter:H [ wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:25 pm ++++ Submission ++++

Who said, that you cannot do drums/percussions with it? Okay It's not perfect, but I think my rhythm section is not to bad... enough for ending up where I end up in the line up.

Details will follow:
Great work Peter. Inspiring that drums are possible.
Thanks, silverpants ;-) Hope it's not only the drums ... I mean I have spent an hour or two on the "structure/composition" of the track ... then another bunch of hours tweaking sounds and the mix. Quite an effort ... just kidding.

I'm currently after adding width to drums - even bdr. Wave Manuell has things to offer here, but especially for bdr one has to be carefull to not overdo it on the patch level. I have added some mixing stuff on top to increase width but at the same time avoid sacificing punch and mono-compatibility of the lower spectrum
silverpants wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:36 am What are you going to do with the rest of the month? :D
I've speculated about Vital 1.5.5 being the synth for this month. I have something in the making ... not OSC ... still needs some time.

And as usual I will do tweaks of my track. I have actually a new version in the making with some tweaks: basically adding some ear candy, optimized some patches a bit and some small adaptions on my "composition" ...

TheNeverScene wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:37 am That track whisked me away into Pink Floyd-ville......which is one of my favorite villes
Ah, that never even occurred to me – but now that you mention it, of course!
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

silverpants wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:39 am
TheNeverScene wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:04 am The synth crashed Reaper pretty quick, but seems to have magically stabilized itself and hasn't crashed again (knock on wood)

It's a weird little thing, but I'm liking it's timbres. Got a little old school r&b wip started.
yes. plus eq and compression, of course, and some gated verb. The snare ended up a little like Hall & Oates I Can't Go For That, so I just went with it since it fit my mood at the time
Last edited by TheNeverScene on Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

oops, double post
Just a touch of EQ and a tickle of compression

TheNeverScene wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:14 pm
silverpants wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:39 am

yes. plus eq and compression, of course, and some gated verb. The snare ended up a little like Hall & Oates I Can't Go For That, so I just went with it since it fit my mood at the time
Really impressive drums. Especially since the synth is pretty limited. Mine are going to sound much more chip tune!
Captain Silverpants

Hi everyone!

two things:

1) BUG REPORT @PauliIndie
(year 2015 Lenovo Z70 laptop and M-Audio Jamlab usb soundcard) In Reaper 5,99 under win 10, DAW crashes sometimes while playing...not so many times!

2) DRUMKIT
i'm not a sound designer and first thing i do when i load a new vst synth is search good rhythm section presets. I didn't find here but tweaking somewhere those sliders...

https://soundcloud.com/zio-mau/wave-man ... al_sharing

If you think this can be usefull i attached to this post vstpresets files and for Reaper users the fx chains files.
Mainly it's a kick patch, two snares layered in own tracks and two perc presets, stacked in same track with a sequencer(Kirnu) that makes the groove. If you use only the vstpresets mind that i filter off midrange in kick sound (with Khs filter) to skip a kind of distortion. I also compressed and raised up transients with Transpire in the demo above. Mixing the two snares you have a darker or brighter sound. Tal Dub 2 was also used to widen the seq_perc track and Melda Freqshifter for one snare, but if you want, use and modify everything in your own way. All the used vsts are free.
For midi playing i filter off all the keyboard keys (with js:midi note filter) leaving only C0 (kick) and C2 (Snare) and driving from kick track that has midi signal sent pre-fx to the two snares tracks. (setup images also attached).
Hope everything is clear and sorry for my poor english.

Ciaoooooooooo!

Here vstprest and RfxChain files
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zZo8A- ... share_link
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks I will look at these for inspiration ...

I suspect that your Freq shifter is not allowed though ... ???

Looks interesting though from a fellow Reaperite ...

dB

ZioMau wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:22 pm 2) DRUMKIT
i'm not a sound designer and first thing i do when i load a new vst synth is search good rhythm section presets. I didn't find here but tweaking somewhere those sliders...
Thank you very much for this !!!
Both the inspiration and the VSTPRESET file. I struggled with creating the initial percussive "attack", and your trick with the zero AMP produced a "click/attack" I could work with. Also thanks for the reference to the TRANSPIRE VST. It also enhances the attack.

BTW, I didn't know VST presets can be saved. Very very helpful in this specific challenge, and also as a general insight.

I'm doing my first baby steps in modeling my own sounds, and I find the experience both fun and frustrating :)

One crash in REAPER so far, after several hours of messing around. I finally created a few drum sounds that are acceptable (but far from great) to my ears. Thanks for the tips, everyone.

Return to “Instruments”