Cherry Audio Releases GX-80 Synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cherry Audio Synth Stack 3 GX-80 Synthesizer
User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
12726 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:51 am

Chris-S wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:30 am GX80 does not support MPE.
But it sure would be a welcome addition, especially if they allow you to draw response curves, like Vital or Equator.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
11598 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:41 pm

They could put nipples on it so it makes you a fresh pint of milk once a week. Like a goat.

I never said I was immune from making passive aggressive remarks.

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Reverend Rhythm
KVRAF
2856 posts since 21 Feb, 2003 from Woodstock, GA USA

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:19 am

I found this Steve Procaro demoing Arturia’s version of the CS-80. I found it interesting watching him work and program. He even ends with a little jam. To me this is an interesting history lesson from someone who performed on and programmed the CS-80. I do not intend this is a comparison to the GX-80, but I know KVR pretty well.

https://youtu.be/EgDsAAtG5jk

Chrisk-K
KVRist
341 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:32 am

How come there’s hardly any mentioning of Richard Tandy of ELO? His CS-80 sounds are all over many of ELO’s hit songs.

User avatar
Chris-S
KVRAF
2882 posts since 10 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:39 am

And the Fanfare For The Common Man by ELP (composer Aaron Copland) was done on the GX-1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zurZig4L8

User avatar
zerocrossing
KVRAF
12726 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:41 am

Reverend Rhythm wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:19 am I found this Steve Procaro demoing Arturia’s version of the CS-80. I found it interesting watching him work and program. He even ends with a little jam. To me this is an interesting history lesson from someone who performed on and programmed the CS-80. I do not intend this is a comparison to the GX-80, but I know KVR pretty well.

https://youtu.be/EgDsAAtG5jk
I own both now, and they both have pros and cons, like anything. I think Arturia’s got a bit more prominence with the resonance, that I appreciate, but a thinner sound up top. CS-80 V has the “Expert” mode, which really opens things up to things that were leagues beyond what a CS-80 or GX-1 could do, and has a nicer complement of effects, which have some parameters exposed to the modulation system. GX-80’s got the GX-1 filter, which I think I prefer to both CS-80 emulated filters, but it doesn’t have MPE capabilities, which I use a lot.

Basically, if you already have CS-80 V 4 and are strapped for cash, I wouldn’t worry too much. It’s great. If you have the $60 needed for GX-80, it’s a nice way to get a bit of variation of that type of sound. I’ve been harsh on Cherry Audio in the past, and I think it’s been well deserved, but this seems to redeem them, at least in my eyes. Maybe I’ll look at their Synthex emulation too.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

User avatar
Zipede
KVRist
335 posts since 7 Feb, 2017

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:56 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:41 pm They could put nipples on it so it makes you a fresh pint of milk once a week. Like a goat.

I never said I was immune from making passive aggressive remarks.
Putting nipples on a GX-80 wouldn't make it the GOAT.
Everyone knows everything
And no one's ever wrong
Until later

TheHelioSequence
KVRist
57 posts since 1 Oct, 2005

Post Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:56 am

I have both a CS-50 and a CS-60. One of things I love about them is when the resonance is pushed to the max (especially when the HPF and LPF interact with each other), there is this very unique soft saturation that happens and it’s a wonderful texture in my opinion. This is fairly well modeled in the Cherry Audio version… I could replicate sounds that I would make on my hardware synths and they would generally be in the ballpark. Which is very cool that I can actually start saving presets that I make on the synth. This is not modeled at all on the Arturia, where it feels like it has almost an unlimited headroom and the resonance doesn’t softly distort, but just gets louder and louder. It’s one of my favorite aspects of the hardware and it’s not emulated at all on the Arturia version.

It’s possible that the CS-80 could have more headroom than the CS-50 and the CS-60 because it might need it for the extra layer/voices, but to me the Cherry Audio version was much closer to my hardware synths than the Arturia. Perhaps for people doing more "polite" sounds this wouldn't matter or maybe the Arturia would be even better...

Chrisk-K
KVRist
341 posts since 4 Jun, 2020 from USA

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:17 am

It seems that the GX-80 VCO section doesn't offer a sine wave. Am I missing something?

NikkiA
KVRist
266 posts since 24 Jul, 2006

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:33 am

Chrisk-K wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:17 am It seems that the GX-80 VCO section doesn't offer a sine wave. Am I missing something?
It's in the VCA section, just like the original:

Image

User avatar
Chris-S
KVRAF
2882 posts since 10 Nov, 2013 from Germany

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:40 am

gx80sin.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

vurt
addled muppet weed
98557 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:02 pm

Zipede wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:56 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:41 pm They could put nipples on it so it makes you a fresh pint of milk once a week. Like a goat.

I never said I was immune from making passive aggressive remarks.
Putting nipples on a GX-80 wouldn't make it the GOAT.
what if we add horns and a jordan rudess beard?
if you don't want me to destroy you
take a leaf out of my book, turn it round and have a look...

User avatar
WatchTheGuitar
KVRAF
11598 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:09 pm

vurt wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:02 pm
Zipede wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:56 am
WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:41 pm They could put nipples on it so it makes you a fresh pint of milk once a week. Like a goat.

I never said I was immune from making passive aggressive remarks.
Putting nipples on a GX-80 wouldn't make it the GOAT.
what if we add horns and a jordan rudess beard?
Then it will big up your plugins for $$$

"I'm over here, just a lonely turd floating in a pickle jar by myself. Is that how this works?"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Instruments”