MIDI Looper Plugin?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a live looping plugin (much like the one in Ableton, or Electrix Repeater, Mobius etc..) but for MIDI notes.
Basic functionality would include Record / Overdub / Play / Stop / Undo / Clear.. all the standard Looper functions.

Anyone know if such a thing exists? (I know there is one hardware unit, but that's not what I'm looking for).

Cheers,
sk

(Wasn't sure whether to put this in Instruments or Effects, opted for here because it's dealing with MIDI)

For the iPad folks...
http://uwyn.com/mtr/

Mac only, but Repeto is quite good, and there is a free mini version available:
https://www.repeto.net/

I’ve had some issues with the drag and drop midi feature in Cubase, but other than that it works well for me. The developer is non-responsive on the forum and there haven’t been any updates in a while, so not entirely sure but it may be abandonware. A shame because I don’t know of any other midi looper plugins like this one.

evo2slo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:00 am Mac only, but Repeto is quite good, and there is a free mini version available:
Ah that one looks interesting, thanks.

Sorry I should have mentioned that I'm on Windows (Surface Pro), but maybe it'll be useful for others.

In case anyone else is interested, here's what I've tried so far (that don't quite work for me but might someone else):

Circlys
Lots of fun, but doesn't do regular overdub in "free run" mode

Piz midiLooper
Super buggy (not surprising, it's very old, need to access download via Wayback machine)

Hi, not sure if it's beyond what you're looking for but endlesss (mac/win/ios versions) is a free retrospective looper that also allows you to loop live with others in a private jam session - I just joined this forum looking to see if there were any users here who already had shared their experience with it. it can be used as a vst, or as a standalone with your own vst plugins, and can be hooked up to external instruments and controllers. [edit: website to download is endlesss.fm]

stk wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:24 pm I'm looking for a live looping plugin (much like the one in Ableton, or Electrix Repeater, Mobius etc..) but for MIDI notes.
Basic functionality would include Record / Overdub / Play / Stop / Undo / Clear.. all the standard Looper functions.
See the Ableton Live Reference for Version 11, 17.3.3 Overdub Recording MIDI Patterns :
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/recording-new-clips/

Live makes pattern-oriented recording of drums and the like quite easy. Using Live’s Impulse instrument and the following technique, you can successively build up drum patterns while listening to the result. Or, using an instrument such as Simpler, which allows for chromatic playing, you can build up melodies or harmonies, note by note.

Set the Global Quantization chooser to one bar.
To automatically quantize the notes you are about to record, choose an appropriate value for Record Quantization (see 17.5).
Double-click any of the Session View slots in the desired MIDI track (the one containing the Impulse or other instrument). A new, empty clip will appear in the slot. The new clip will default to a loop length of one bar, but you can change that by double-clicking the clip and changing its loop properties (see 8.3).
Arm the track.
Press the Session Record button.
The notes you play are added into the looping clip, and you can observe your recording in the Clip View.
The clip overdubs as it loops, allowing you to build your pattern layer by layer. However, if you would like to pause recording for a moment to rehearse, you can deactivate overdubbing by pressing the Session Record button again. The contents of the clip will continue to play, but you can play along without being recorded. When you are ready to record again, press the Session Record button once again. Subsequent presses of the Session Record button will toggle between playback and overdub.

Note that holding ALT(Win) / ALT(Mac) while double-clicking the empty slot to create a new clip will implicitly arm the track and launch the clip.

At any time while overdub recording is going on, you can use the Undo command to remove the last take, or even draw, move or delete notes in the Clip View’s MIDI Note Editor.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

zzz00m wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:13 pm
stk wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:24 pm I'm looking for a live looping plugin (much like the one in Ableton, or Electrix Repeater, Mobius etc..) but for MIDI notes.
See the Ableton Live Reference for Version 11, 17.3.3 Overdub Recording MIDI Patterns :
https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/recording-new-clips/

Live makes pattern-oriented recording of drums and the like quite easy. Using Live’s Impulse instrument and the following technique, you can successively build up drum patterns while listening to the result. Or, using an instrument such as Simpler, which allows for chromatic playing, you can build up melodies or harmonies, note by note.

Set the Global Quantization chooser to one bar.
To automatically quantize the notes you are about to record, choose an appropriate value for Record Quantization (see 17.5).
Double-click any of the Session View slots in the desired MIDI track (the one containing the Impulse or other instrument). A new, empty clip will appear in the slot. The new clip will default to a loop length of one bar, but you can change that by double-clicking the clip and changing its loop properties (see 8.3).
Arm the track.
Press the Session Record button.
The notes you play are added into the looping clip, and you can observe your recording in the Clip View.
The clip overdubs as it loops, allowing you to build your pattern layer by layer. However, if you would like to pause recording for a moment to rehearse, you can deactivate overdubbing by pressing the Session Record button again. The contents of the clip will continue to play, but you can play along without being recorded. When you are ready to record again, press the Session Record button once again. Subsequent presses of the Session Record button will toggle between playback and overdub.

Note that holding ALT(Win) / ALT(Mac) while double-clicking the empty slot to create a new clip will implicitly arm the track and launch the clip.

At any time while overdub recording is going on, you can use the Undo command to remove the last take, or even draw, move or delete notes in the Clip View’s MIDI Note Editor.
Not quite what I'm looking for. I'm after a plugin or device that runs completely separate from the session clips, for maximum flexibility (just like Live's audio looper, but for MIDI), and that can be controlled completely hands-free as part of a live performance.

I actually ended up developing my own plugin to do this as there is literally nothing out there with this functionality. It's in private alpha testing.

evo2slo wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:00 am Mac only, but Repeto is quite good, and there is a free mini version available:

I’ve had some issues with the drag and drop midi feature in Cubase, but other than that it works well for me. The developer is non-responsive on the forum and there haven’t been any updates in a while, so not entirely sure but it may be abandonware. A shame because I don’t know of any other midi looper plugins like this one.
Account is suspended, doesn't look good...
Last edited by martinjuenke on Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oohh, midilooping.
The neglected yet muuuch smarter and, at the same time, sketchier brother of traditional looping.

Would be nice, at leat ITB, to put ye olde audioloopers to sleep and move to something cooler.
Adding jitter, transposing on the fly, recording automations on the moment...
I can dream, can't I?

I'm also on the hunt for a Windows VST midi looper.

What I've tried:

Circlys - Has a few quirks, one of which is it won't start recording until a note is played and you have to hit a separate button to end recording. There is no one button behavior. A button to record, a button to end and button to clear. Also, when I set it up yesterday to try it again, it was press once to arm recording, play notes, press end to tell it you are going to end, then end again. It's just very quirky and unintuitive and I can't seem to get it to be the right amount of bars. Definitely not performance oriented.

Piz midi looper - It crashes, it's old.

Homegrown Midi Looper - this one is complicated but as far as I can tell so far, you have to tell it ahead of time how long your loop is going to be. That's no fun. Just spent about 20 minutes reading the manual and still not sure if there is a way to record without knowing in advance how long the loop is or even if it will act as a simple midi looper. Like I said, it is complicated.

I see there are several for Max For Live. Haven't figured out yet if this new RBNO that I received an email about the other day will allow exporting them into VST to try in non-Live DAWs/environments.

On the prowl for a solution. I don't need something complicated, just something that loops simply like a Circular Labs Mobius for midi. Any other suggestions?

I'm still looking for a solution.

Tried Homegrown Midi Looper for awhile and it is awesome if you know in advance what your loop length is going to be but otherwise, if you don't, you be SOL.

I am really surprised this is so difficult when audio loopers are a dime-a-dozen. Why don't midi folks want to loop too?

looking for something like that too.
anyone tried remidi2?
🇷🇺

How about hardware like the Korg SQ 64?
They are on closeout and seem like a nice option.
3 poly channels, plus drums.

Only way I know you could do that is playtime 1 on reaper, but I found it not stable enough for that use sadly.
I'd love to live loop midi without click me too... :(

Return to “Instruments”